MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Speaking of player sprites, on the subject of the player's arms, i thought the cyborg could have had floating hands (either the cyborgs actual robo hands or blue holographic ones) to become more faithful to Doom VFR and the fact that we may not have that much reference to the combat chassis' arms or even its body.
As good as it'd be, I'm not going to hack up per-gender first-person hands for every frame and weapon already in the mod.
AvzinElkein wrote:Minor bug: hitting the Melee key while wielding the axe will make you use your fist instead, contradicting the Codex entry for the axe.
Thanks for this. Some of the descriptions were written before the weapons themselves were completed, so some details are a little inaccurate to final implementation.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Kinsie wrote:
whatup876 wrote:I remembered the unused Archvile sound from the PS1 port was a thing and thought if that could be used for an Archvile variant or not.
Not impossible, but the unused Archvile sound stuff that was released was pretty raw and would require a lot of extra processing to get onto the same level as the pre-existing Console Doom stuff.
Supposedly, someone has already worked to address that (somewhat):

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hmm, I get what they're trying to do but it sounds kind of messy and indistinct.

Actually, it reminds me a lot of the "Underwater" flanger effect from Cool Edit 2000, and that's a reference that nobody's going to get and it's going to severely age me.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oooh, well that's really impressive sound editing, Hellstorm! Wish more people can edit and create more awesome sound for doom community!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Kinsie wrote:
whatup876 wrote:Speaking of player sprites, on the subject of the player's arms, i thought the cyborg could have had floating hands (either the cyborgs actual robo hands or blue holographic ones) to become more faithful to Doom VFR and the fact that we may not have that much reference to the combat chassis' arms or even its body.
As good as it'd be, I'm not going to hack up per-gender first-person hands for every frame and weapon already in the mod.
AvzinElkein wrote:Minor bug: hitting the Melee key while wielding the axe will make you use your fist instead, contradicting the Codex entry for the axe.
Thanks for this. Some of the descriptions were written before the weapons themselves were completed, so some details are a little inaccurate to final implementation.
Have you edited the Codex entry yet?
Cardboard Marty

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Kinsie's really good about pushing his changes to GitHub, so I'm sure when the changes are made you'll be able to see them.

Excellent work on all the exciting stuff coming up Kinsie, and HUGE SHOUTOUT TO THE MIRACLE DOCTOR for all his sprite shenanigans! Those mugshots look hella good!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, the "development build" link just downloads the GitHub repo. It's pretty up-to-the-minute as a result, for better or worse - shit might be broken!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I saw Revenants (a regular one and Fiend) infighting each other and i thought it was fixed.

And i like that the invulnerablity's blue filter is a little tribute to the GBA port, but i wondered if other power ups could have had a screen effect similar to Doom 4 power ups where they don't necessarily cover the full screen.

Anyway, i also thought more about those monsters suggestions:

* Druj could still have a regular Mancubus fire attack, making the individual fireball attack a secondary attack, just in case he needed to be more vanilla-friendly.

* If Ghoul shooting two rockets is bad, maybe they could deal less damage or he could have an original attack, like a slow projectile, but with a trail effect. (as if it was fire)

* The Doom 4 Pinky (Belphegor) in their game's MP could turn into a Spectre, which may or may not be a good idea, but he also has a canonically short vision.

Edit: Also, i just tried the mod with TNT and the second level has that area where you're meant to telefrag the Barons, but they jumped out of their areas.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Edit: Also, i just tried the mod with TNT and the second level has that area where you're meant to telefrag the Barons, but they jumped out of their areas.
Turn "Potential Map-Breakers" off and jumping enemies will only jump straight upwards, reducing the likelihood that they'll escape their station.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Kinsie wrote:
whatup876 wrote:Edit: Also, i just tried the mod with TNT and the second level has that area where you're meant to telefrag the Barons, but they jumped out of their areas.
Turn "Potential Map-Breakers" off and jumping enemies will only jump straight upwards, reducing the likelihood that they'll escape their station.
I'm not entirely sure but "Monsters cannot cross dropoffs" under Compatibility Options should also do the trick.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

i don't know if it's something on my end of things or in the mod, but the flashlight's kinda useless now, because it only makes the items and debris look brighter.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20180624_201937.png
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

LossForWords wrote:i don't know if it's something on my end of things or in the mod, but the flashlight's kinda useless now, because it only makes the items and debris look brighter.
Works fine for me on the latest stable GZDoom. Check your dynamic light settings.

I guess I'll have to change that to a proper spotlight at some point.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Should have reported it, but you know those Doom 4 sounds that play before the intermission screen's theme, after you beat a level? (E2M3 remix)

Sometimes, they don't show up.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

i fidgeted around with the dynamic light settings and i eventually got it to work, but i died and forgot that loading a save reverts the options to where they were in the time the game was saved and also what i did to make it work, but thanks for the help, anyways.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”