MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Post by Kinsie »

I've started porting the HUD from SBARINFO to ZScript. A lot of it is already completed, but it's not all the way there yet, so if you play the devbuilds some stuff might be a bit wonky. In particular, the powerup timers haven't been implemented yet. Please understand!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I've been wondering this and it's whether or not the Eternal designs of the Pain Elemental and Archvile are visually different enough to work as variants for their respective enemies, with the new PE perhaps affecting the way how Beholder looks: he'd still be green but his eye, horns and mouth could change, but we don't even know much about this game's enemies, let alone the game itself yet.

Maybe it's way too soon to speculate about this.

Also, it's weird that you refer to the Summoner as a "he", since it was more believed it was a female.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Maybe it's way too soon to speculate about this.
Correct. Or at least, wait until there's actual gameplay.

EDIT:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Alright, now that things are implemented...

When making Juvenile Power Fantasy I was trying to do things that, for better or worse, nobody else was doing. One of those things was actually taking the "gender" player setting into account. While GZDoom cheerfully supports alternate player sounds based on this setting, nobody really used it. I also figured that if I used that, I should probably provide a fitting alternate mugshot (something that was initially insanely hacky and caused horrible performance issues with Voodoo Dolls constantly pondering their identity every gametic... but that story's already been told.)

I've wanted to implement this into MetaDoom for a while now, but it required porting the HUD to ZScript and getting some fitting art together. I've taken care of most of the code side, which apparently inspired DrPySpy into action so hard that he whipped together two full facesets in one day! Holy crap.

ImageImageImage

Massive props to DrPySpy for this, and all the other stuff he's contributed to this next update! Without him, this mod would be considerably uglier and less polished.

Bonus:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Whohahah man. Nice to see some awesome sprite stuff from DrPyspy! He's very talented, yeah.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Those mugshots look amazing.

Anyway, i felt like dropping some more ideas i had for a while, so here it comes i guess:
  • * I wondered if the PDA's could have had their own codex entry, since they're sort of a different object from the computer maps or at least have a different pick up message that is like "downloading PDA info" like in Doom 3.
    * I remembered the unused Archvile sound from the PS1 port was a thing and thought if that could be used for an Archvile variant or not.
    * Going back to the Spiborg shooting two plasma balls as a new move, i also felt like he wasn't that challenging to fight because you could always hit him before he attacks, so that could sort of make him stronger, i guess.
    * Whenever i berserk punch a baron or HK, they always jump away from me, so i wondered if that could change.
And depending on how many enemies or which ones get added into the mod (if that ever happens), i've thought of codex related ideas for them:
  • * Druj (Doom 3 Manc) could be implied to be first spotted coming out of toxic waste or having any connection with the Vagary. (because of the malformed fetus inside her)
    * Ghoul (Doom 3 Rev) could be implied to be the least agitated or the Revenant trio, which could be why he'd move slower (and because this was a thing in Doom RPG, i wondered if he could explode when he died (much like the Cyber Mancubus) like the Revenants in that game)
    * Nightmare (Doom 4 LS) could be mentioned to be the most despised of all the demons, which may be relevant to why they'd end themselves in the first place. (sounds depressing but that could fit into the idea that hell brings even suffering to its own creatures)
    * Belphegor (Doom 4 Pinky) could be implied to be the thoughest of all Pinkies, but also have his description bringing up how to defeat him and his weak spot (this may never happened depending on how hard it might be to pull off an hitbox system for a specific angle) and that he is sometimes consumed by other demons (maybe this could make him have a role in infighting)
    * Bruiser (new RoE monster) could be mentioned that he was first spotted trying to disguise himself as a computer monitor (this was a cut story element in that expansion)
    * I don't recall the Wraiths (new Doom 3 monster) having any story, so they could be mentioned they were a devolution of Imp Lords that lost the ability to shoot projectiles, but grew falx-like arms.
    * Possessed soldiers (New Doom 4 monster/Zombiemen) could be marines who suffered a negative side effect of a Lazarus wave event, that caused them to merge with their own armor and weapon.
    * They could also be mentioned to carry a specific Plasma rifle prototype that can only shoot a single projectile at once but is also armed with a secondary fire (or weapon mod) that shoots a projectile that stops in mid air and explodes.
    * Impling (Doom 3 Imp) could be mentioned to have a stronger vision because he has 6 eyes.
These ideas may never work, but this is the kind of mod that is fun to speculate and think about, so maybe some of this stuff could be neat.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:I wondered if the PDA's could have had their own codex entry, since they're sort of a different object from the computer maps or at least have a different pick up message that is like "downloading PDA info" like in Doom 3.
Thanks for reminding me that the PDA/compmaps didn't have a codex entry. Fixed!
whatup876 wrote:I remembered the unused Archvile sound from the PS1 port was a thing and thought if that could be used for an Archvile variant or not.
Not impossible, but the unused Archvile sound stuff that was released was pretty raw and would require a lot of extra processing to get onto the same level as the pre-existing Console Doom stuff.
whatup876 wrote:Going back to the Spiborg shooting two plasma balls as a new move, i also felt like he wasn't that challenging to fight because you could always hit him before he attacks, so that could sort of make him stronger, i guess.
Good call on the Spiborg being relatively easy to hitstun out of its attack. I've added a PainThreshold change to its firing state, so that you'll need to use a rocket or something similarly grunty to make them flinch out of charging. Pelting with bullets won't work anymore!
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

"i wonder what the damaged mugshot for the robot is going to lo-"
*kinsie's current avatar*
well that answeres that

will player sprites change too?
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Uh..
I downloaded the latest devbuild
Where are the pk3's?
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

you need to build them with the .bat files on the main metadoom folder. just open it and press enter. they'll show up in the builds folder.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

They didn't show up in the builds folder
I used WinRar to turn them into pk3s Didn't work
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

maybe there's missing files, try downloading it again.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

it says
Everything is Ok
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
and it puts a zip file inside the metadoom-dev folder
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Speaking of player sprites, on the subject of the player's arms, i thought the cyborg could have had floating hands (either the cyborgs actual robo hands or blue holographic ones) to become more faithful to Doom VFR and the fact that we may not have that much reference to the combat chassis' arms or even its body.

Also, i just remembered yet another item that could have a codex description of its own: the Soulsphere/superchage.
"the soul sphere contains the life energy of a human soul"
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Minor bug: hitting the Melee key while wielding the axe will make you use your fist instead, contradicting the Codex entry for the axe.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”