The 80's topic!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ichor

Re: The 80's topic!

Post by Ichor »

wildweasel wrote:The interesting thing about "the crash" is that, if you ask about it anywhere other than America, few people will understand what you're talking about - especially in Europe (where TV games were just barely a thing at the time, and most people played games on their "8-bit micros") and Japan (where the crash is referred to as "the Atari incident," as Japanese arcade games were still very much thriving).
Yeah, the crash was mostly confined to Atari, but at that time, it was a huge game company back then. When ET happened, most people became disillusioned with Atari and they stopped buying, and by extension, most other games. It would probably be like if Disney went under due to a string of bad Star Wars movies.

And speaking of fiascos, I remember New Coke. I don't remember if I ever had one of those, but I certainly remember the whole thing. All that hype, followed by an even greater backlash. Fortunately, Coca-Cola fared better than Atari.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'm just interested in how it tasted for people to be so upset over it. i'm guessing it didn't taste "bad", just "different", and that was enough for it to fail completely.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

They tried to make it more like Pepsi, who was threatening to overtake them in sales at that time, if that didn't happen already. It was bad enough that they took a century old formula and turned it into "Cokesi" (as what some called it back then), but it also didn't taste very good. It's the Poochie of soft drinks.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Heh :) I remember my first experience with coke. I was about 3 years old, and we were living here in Island's Beauty, only two streets farther (we moved twice afterwards, until finally we returned to Island's Beauty), there was a bar very close to our house called "Lakeside Bar". It was still open when we moved back here, but it has been closed down about 4 years ago, which is sad. Well, main thing is, back then, kids were allowed in, but of course, no alcohol was to be served for them, so when our family went to the bar, I got a glass of coke. Damn, its taste was so...otherworldly, it reminded me of darkness, stars, weekend, and...welp...I immediately fell in love with drinking coke. If I would be a poet, I could probably elaborate on my feelings back then a lot better. It is 30 years later now, but I still remember that evening, when I had my first glass of coke. Especially since it was a unique thing back then - you couldn't buy coke in any of the stores, gas stations or markets, only in designated places.
I cherish that memory to this very day...until the Lakeside Bar closed down, I always went there for a glass of coke after the annual town fair. Not sure which kind of coke was my very first - Pepsi or Coca-cola - but the feeling remained the same.
Oh the good ol'days one by...my youth...I miss it :cry:
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

That's a nice memory you have from a low age, I probably couldn't even speak at that time
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Haha, thank you :) I couldn't really speak either, I have only vague memories of our old house. A glimpse of the construction site...myself, sitting out on the porch, eating weenie with mustard and bread...my mom reading a La Fontaine storybook for me...playing Lego with my big sister in her room...a faint memory about me having a terrible ear-ache, I got inflammation in my ears...a favourite song of mine I used to sing...a support beam on the wall which I was very afraid of in the dark (beats me, why). Gosh, they ran away like a dream.
Many people seem to be surprised when I tell'em about my childhood in an age so early. As far as I remember, I knew basic words only, but I was a very good observer, and somehow I could retain a few crumbs of memory. The best memory from that age is obviously drinking coke in that bar. And every time I have one, I remember that day long, long ago, as a toddler, when life was sooooo simple :) :) :)

Return to “Off-Topic”