HXRTC Project Golden Edition Plus R14 (1 Jun 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: HXRTC Project Golden Edition (Released 17 may 2018)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

SynthGal wrote:That had no effect but I was fiddling around earlier while offline and found that Set Video Mode -> Scale Factor made a (literally) huge difference. I didnt think to dive into that menu before. The HUD did not increase in scale as the slider was increased (probably some math thing I don't understand) but holy hell it's perfect now. Might be a good thing to add to the main post?
Hmmm, seems you are right, the thing is that I was previously using QZDoom 2.0.0, and the mentioned video mode scaling factor feature was not present in it... But now that I have switched to 2.1.0, I've seen the new implemented option plays an important role also on HUD scale... Have to check it more deeply.

Anyway, glad your problem has been resolved. I'll update the description on next future release of the mod! :thumb:
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

The mod seems to work fine in GZDoom 2.4.0, but feel free to double-check.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Bug report: The game crashes if you use the exit warp grenade right before you die. It will show the level transition then crash.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Someone64 wrote:Bug report: The game crashes if you use the exit warp grenade right before you die. It will show the level transition then crash.
Seems I can't reproduce that issue in my laptop... Tried with QZDoom 2.0 and 2.1, and neither of them gets a crash after using a Warp Bomb and then quickly typing KILL in console to murder the player, next level starts normally like a pistol start in my case... :?

Which version of GZDoom/QZDoom are you using? Is it a stable or a development release? Are you using some external addons? Try to switch to another version, and also load just the mod without any addon. If the problem persist, it might be a internal bug related to A_BrainDie function call, and should be reported on the appropriate forum thread...
Hexereticdoom

Re: HXRTC Project Golden Edition (Updated 07 jul 2018)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Well Doomguys, time for a small update of the mod! This one doesn't bring huge changes, but a few necessary ones that will fix some issues and make your game experience a bit more enjoyable... :wink:

So let's go directly to the changelog for this first updated release of H-Project GE:
  • - By popular demand, the W-Shotgun's laser noisy impact sounds have been toned down in volume swapped with the Omicron Raygun ones. After thinking about it, I realized that the mentioned (noisy) multiple laser attack sound is more suitable for the heavier secret weapon, and from now the W-Shotgun laser impacts will use the generic sparkle sounds (used also by several projectiles, and a little quieter than the previous ones) at the same time that the big Omicron weapon gains a more powerful laser sound effect (note that the fired beams are much less numerous than the W-Shotgun's multi-attack ones, so your ears should be more grateful...) :tongue:

- Changed a little the Exit Warp Bomb behaviour: from now, once a Warp Bomb is activated and if the player gets killed during countdown to next map advance, the teleporting process will be cancelled and a 'failure' message will be printed on screen. This will prevent as far as possible forced pistol starts at the beginning of next level, and in some cases, it should avoid some probable game crashes (like user Someone64 reported a few days ago).

- Reworked and improved the Medusoid's sonic-wave attack graphics and the burping wave attacks of Blue Mimic and (Green) Flying Mimic, now these special projectiles have a slightly better aspect than before, rotations included.

- Replaced the simple Automap vector arrow (the one that depicts the player) by M8f's Arrow Corner, which has a quite better visible direction than the old GZDoom/QZDoom one.

- Some other minor tweaks and bugfixes that are not worth detailing.
I recommend get your updated copies ASAP and as usual, making a double click on your desired download links at first post... =:)

Keep enjoying and having fun! Have a nice Doomsday everyone... 8-)

EDIT: Minor hotfix update released, it adds some SFX tweakings and also corrects a few last-minute bugs still present in latest previous version.

(Updating is recommended, but not mandatory). :!:
Last edited by Hexereticdoom on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valherran

Re: HXRTC Project Golden Edition (Updated 01 jul 2018)

Post by Valherran »

Good changes. Though I will wait to pick this back up when issue 3 and 4 of my previous post gets addressed.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Finally started playing this mod and I gotta say its AMAZING. :surprise:

The amount of attention to detail, huge number of content for monsters, guns, usable items, side features, level elements, a progression system, the helpful and clear HUD, the death animations, elemental monsters, teleporting marines, pickups, special visual and audio effects for everything, an announcer for pickups, a way to keep track of powerup duration... I mean holy shit the amount of love poured into this mod is blowing me away.

This mod is definitely a new favorite I'll be playing LOTS. :wub:

I've only done a single playthrough so far, but I did have a few comments on things I'd enjoy to see in an update for this mod:
  • Spell out clearly what each difficulty mode does. Only the last two ones give a hint at what they offer, but the rest I can only guess. I don't even know which one is the UV equivalent.
  • Standardize difficulty modes, so each mode has a specific theme/style to it, to differentiate the difficulty modes more as different game modes. See this mod I made that sets an example (training mode, easy spawns, medium spawns(HMP), hard spawns (UV), hard specials (fast monsters, 2x monster hp, both) and a fun mode where enemies are very weak but also really fast, and there is 4x ammo): viewtopic.php?f=46&t=57135 . You can copy it or make something that you think is more suitable.
  • Speed up the reload for all pistols, dual pistols, rifles, dual rifles. This would make them still remain enjoyable to use even if I've picked up a light machine gun or a heavy chaingun.
That is all I can think of, the mod is just so well done, works smoothly and has a really cool style to it. All I have in terms of comments are just nitpicks and personal preferences at this point. Its just that good of a mod. :D
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

I think this is one of the most underrated mods out there really. Quite impressive attention to detail. I agree with just about everything Spaceman333 stated above, particularly regarding the various difficulties, and would also request one other feature, a toggle for the teleporting marines. They are quite difficult when starting out and limited in weapon selection. Wads like Ancient Aliens can be nearly impossible to start out on at higher difficulties which seems to spawn a marine more often than not after a monster death. Weaponry is scarce to not present in the starting levels of some wads and the marines are killer in those situations. Perhaps a slider for enemy weapon drops would be helpful as well. Ultimately I'd really like to not toggle the marines off, but they can be a nightmare until you get some better gear. If there were some way to ramp up their appearance from quite rare at the start to normal later, that would be even better, but I don't know if something like that is even possible. Either way, this mod is one of my favorites. Really love the progression you feel all the way through a megawad. Hard to find that.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Oh man.

Out of all the flamethrowers I've tried in many doom mods, this one is definitely the best and also the most scary.

Even though the flamer itself well done, featuring satisfying permeable firepower, nice visual effects and adequate sound effects, the thing that makes this thing so special comes from how the monsters react to it, especially former humans. They have a custom death animation where they will be set ablaze by fire-damage sources which is accompanied by horrific screams of agony as they flail around and fall to the floor as charred corpses.

As I was playing, I came across a corridor that was occupied by roughly 20 units of assorted zombiemen and shotgunners. I had the napalm gun out.
The ensuing inferno, flailing humanoids covered in fire, the combined screams of terror and agony made me feel like I had commited an actual war crime.

The level also had particularly gloomy music playing, which further made the whole moment feel all the more powerful. :shock:

That kind of immersion is rare. I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate the amount of polish and detail that went into this mod. Its really good.

Aside from that, I've been generally playing this mod a lot and I think its well balanced. I've found the teleporting renegade marines to be very enjoyable and managable to fight, even with starting equipment only. Its worth noting that the kick attack can instakill or seriously damage these dudes, while the z-gun can effectively stunlock with its infinite ammo rapid primary fire. Theres also the double jump, grapling hook and hover to help escape and dodge around. And this isn't even mentioning how max health and armor values are significantly bigger. I wouldn't change anything about them tbh.

I also find it really amusing to be minding my own business killings demons, then suddenly hearing a teleporting sound followed by a "die motherf****r" or "gotcha b***h" and have these guys try to take me down. There is something really comical about their eagerness and edgy-ness. :D

This is a seriously cool mod.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Lol, yeah, I love how the teleportation sound of the marines becomes an instinctual reaction trigger in gunfights. I like how it isn't on some exact timer either and occurs at a random interval. I don't know how many times I've killed something, stood there for a second waiting for the teleport in, deciding it isn't gonna happen and turning around only to be attacked milliseconds after. I appreciate the mention of the kick being an effective tool for the marines. I never seem to remember the kick ability. I played Doom when it was released many moons ago and old habits die hard I guess. Or old age just sets in.

There is one thing that that reminds me of that I really really would love to see added to this. A hotkey for grenades and mines. As they are now, I never use them and often even forget they exist. Its pretty hard to effectively use grenades in doom without a hotkey in my opinion. Its a nightmare to be in a heated gunfight, switch to grenades in your inventory, lob them at something real quick, then select the gun you were originally using all over again. Mines are a bit more forgiving since I often use them as a trap, but it would be awesome to see them get quick button press functionality as well.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

what does the column even do? i place it down, and it has no noticeable effect except just being there...
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

@Spaceman333 & ate0ate: Thanks a lot for your nice reviews and feedback, much appreciated! :thumb:

@thedeathrunner123: The placeable columns are not useless at all, in fact, they have several purposes:
  • - They can be a good temporary barrier in narrow places versus some melee monsters, like Pinkies and Minigremlins.
    - They're able to temporarily maintain some doors open or certain crushers down, if you place them correctly.
    - They also can be useful to reach some higher places, specially if you stack them and use the 'Jump' button.
    - There might be some other funny and unknown uses with them. Just test and try! :wink:
OlegGontar

Post by OlegGontar »

Hello Hexeretic, will you add new monsters to HXRTC project in the near future?
Mister Copper

Post by Mister Copper »

Hello, uh...

I came across a bit of a weird thing while playing this. At some point while playing this in Hadephobia, after killing a Renegade Marine with the Napalm Launcher, the game started puking up Invalid Sound Position errors.

https://imgur.com/aVpzBZB
https://imgur.com/bzIFP4F

IDK what exactly caused this; I just figured you might diagnose this issue.

Posting ZDL listing as a reference (of a sort):
https://i.gyazo.com/8cf5355f1f27cdd338d ... 410b8a.png

EDIT: want to add some extra notes I took shortly after to this:
* The issue happens regardless of which enemy was killed in that hall in the map.
* Enemies killed with the BFG-X doesn't trigger the issue; neither does enemies who got pushed into the teleporter at the time of their deaths cause it
* Saving while the issue is happening, then reloading that save doesn't erase the issue (saving before the issue happens, then loading that save doesn't cause the issue to happen, though).
* Exiting the level erases the issue.
Last edited by Mister Copper on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LowEndPCGamer100

Post by LowEndPCGamer100 »

Just wondering, but are there any addons for this mod?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”