Programming Thread?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Programming Thread?

Post by Marrub »

What have y'all been coding? What've you been coding it in? I'd like to hear what kinda stuff people have been up to, be it games, applications, ROM hacks, etc.
I've been cooking up a NES game in assembly, learning the hardware and such for fun. There's plenty of other crap I've been making, but I want to hear what everyone else's made.
InsanityBringer

Re: Programming Thread?

Post by InsanityBringer »

fuck, I need to program more, heh. At the moment I'm trying to get some test Vulkan code written as there's a few graphical effects I want to experiment with at the moment and I kind of want to learn how to do Vulkan while working on all of this. Aw man, it's tricky and confusing, and I wish I had a better understanding of the hardware aspects of all of this that makes it more efficient. Without any doubt I could get the same code working in OpenGL much faster.

I also had a sudden burst of inspiration and was doing some test ai programming for a stupid gmod addon with the valve nextbot stuff garry exposed eons ago. I'd really love to learn how to do the FEAR AI planning system, but at the moment despite reading through the paper a few times I'm still not fully sure on how to best implement it.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

personal code:
multiplatform terminal framework (its working on msdos, linux, windows, windows phone and android).
i was also expanding it to support graphics, windows phone part was a pain inthe ass because the render was too slow, msdos was also a nightmare, i tried to optimize it but hell, its a mess xD (but almost working and i wish i could finish it).
i was also playing with the framework to use a minimal object system, with a list of sprites to renders, vars and some form of script support to add into the object, the nice part is that if I want to implement something more complex, I just create a new function and just add it in the object...

In college side, I'm kinda bored, so many boring codes and hard to make them to in the end gets no use in real world, but still, some of them were cool to make like an asm compiler and 8086 emulator and a generic regular grammar validating.

on job side im doing a multiplatform app with xamarin forms, it's a bit challenging but I like it
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

InsanityBringer wrote:fuck, I need to program more, heh. At the moment I'm trying to get some test Vulkan code written as there's a few graphical effects I want to experiment with at the moment and I kind of want to learn how to do Vulkan while working on all of this. Aw man, it's tricky and confusing, and I wish I had a better understanding of the hardware aspects of all of this that makes it more efficient. Without any doubt I could get the same code working in OpenGL much faster.
Vulkan is a giant pain in the ass and I love it. Here's a test application I wrote in C99 using designated initializers the way God intended. It's 500 lines of code and all it does is draw a triangle.
InsanityBringer wrote:I also had a sudden burst of inspiration and was doing some test ai programming for a stupid gmod addon with the valve nextbot stuff garry exposed eons ago. I'd really love to learn how to do the FEAR AI planning system, but at the moment despite reading through the paper a few times I'm still not fully sure on how to best implement it.
Have you ever implemented a virtual machine/state machine? It's basically that, except the input is world events rather than machine code.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

created my own wadpicker in python, just trying to learn programming with it
here's what I have so far: https://gamebanana.com/tools/6440
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Marrub wrote:Have you ever implemented a virtual machine/state machine? It's basically that, except the input is world events rather than machine code.
I don't have a huge amount of experience with VMs and state machines, but my current behavior implementation is a relatively simplistic state machine, with broad behaviors being implemented as states that function by coordinating a bunch of simple subsystems like navigation and attack. At the moment all state changes are done relatively simply, with the states running for a short period of time and using various stimuli to decide what state to switch to next.

ed: for fun, here's the steadily growing lua script driving these guys. The code's messy and in need of cleanup, but out of all my experiments over the years this one has been going the best. I'd like to divide out the behaviors into separate classes or something so that they can grow larger without polluting this file as much, but in the context of gmod's lua api I actually have no idea how to do this at all heh.
Last edited by InsanityBringer on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

RPGMaker VX Ace. Tinkering in ruby has been an interesting experience. It's not perfect, but it has some neat stuff. As always, I picked it up pretty quick with a language reference handy. (Also helps that a friend of mine is a bit of a ruby fanatic.) I did have to plug in an external script loader. The built-in one is scintilla-based but horribly limited, now I can at least use Notepad++ and well-organized directories.

Oh, and it's presented a great opportunity to start learning how regular expressions work.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Professionally: business software for companies & government agencies (dull administration/management stuff)

As a hobby: always been creating (small) games, first in Dos with TurboBasic, later with VB basic and DirectX, after that using C#. Many small Windows games like tetris, balls & walls, just for fun. Once had the idea to create my own 3d game with it's own engine, but since there is ZDoom/GZDoom, I always thought nope.. why should I?

As an interested world citizen: an ever ongoing programming project which I started more than 10 years ago that collects data about global warming.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

NeuralStunner wrote:RPGMaker VX Ace. Tinkering in ruby has been an interesting experience. It's not perfect, but it has some neat stuff. As always, I picked it up pretty quick with a language reference handy. (Also helps that a friend of mine is a bit of a ruby fanatic.) I did have to plug in an external script loader. The built-in one is scintilla-based but horribly limited, now I can at least use Notepad++ and well-organized directories.
RPGMaker and Ruby don't get the praise they deserve in my opinion. RPGM is infamous for a lot of crap games -- but there's also a lot of really good ones, and the engine is usually overlooked then. It's capable of a lot for something so user-friendly. As for Ruby, it's replaced Python and C for small utilities for me. I've made some ridiculously complex utilities in basically no time at all thanks to Ruby.
VorticonHyperPistol wrote:Oh, and it's presented a great opportunity to start learning how regular expressions work.
Welcome to the dark side...
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Marrub wrote:RPGMaker and Ruby don't get the praise they deserve in my opinion. RPGM is infamous for a lot of crap games -- but there's also a lot of really good ones, and the engine is usually overlooked then.
Agreed on all counts. Steam keeps trying to push said crap on me constantly whenever I've been working in the toolset for a while, but any more I try to look at it as encouragement. I'm quite certain I can do something a whole lot better, and I'm already well on the way there.
Marrub wrote:Welcome to the dark side...
I will use these powers only for good?
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

I was looking for some tool that allowed me to play music from cmd without opening another software. Coldn't find anything online so I just wrote these two python scripts to allow you to play mp3 music from cmd(really only for mp3). Don't know where else to share this.

Used multiple external modules to make it easier to read the ID3 tags, playing the music and somepointless things like colored text (ends up unnecessarilly reducing performance but it looks good).

listmp3.exe shows the all mp3 files in the current working directory with some of it's tags.
playmp3.exe plays mp3 files in cmd, type "playmp3 /h" for a full description of it's usage.

both files were compiled into "onefile" with pyinstaller.

I'm a complete amateur who learned everything from stack overflow and googling everything I don't understand so don't expect too much but there's the source code, so do what ever you want with it just don't use it as the base of a commercial project, that would be a dick thing to do. Not sure how usefull this might be to you but at the very least you could look at the source code and laugh about it.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I started developing games in Unity as a hobby around 6 years ago, more than a dozen projects half-finished down the line and currently this is my newest one, which is also an evolution of various former attempts at creating a cell-based (think Minecraft without the blocky look) subengine.

A remake of the SNES Shadowrun game with some elements from the Genesis one, namely the randomly generated runs, the whole character system, and the Matrix. So far, all models for act 1 (up to the caryards) are done, as is the in-game level editor. No actual gameplay has been implemented yet, though.

Work in progress of the map editor:
Spoiler:
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

I have a UDMF/WAD/WAD2/PK3 library and utility thing going on that I call Waddle. It does stuff like remove unused textures from pk3 files, create montages of textures from Quake WAD2 files, figures out optimal texture for when you need to stretch stuff... Things like that.

I also have a scripting language in development called Furryscript, which compiles down to a bytecode I call YiffCode. Nothing serious, I just always wanted to write a VM and compiler, so when I needed a language for another project, I jumped on the opportunity.

The scripting language is for an ongoing and long term project to write a semi-clone of Cybernoid called Astrotron. There's only a bit of work done on this right now while I get other subsystems in place. But hey, I got a small moving on screen! As someone who's never done graphics programming, I feel proud just of that XD

And lastly I'm tinkering with McClim and learning how it works. Because I'm a masochist.

All of these are just hobby projects, and all are done in Common Lisp. There's a few other things I maintain, like a command line parsing library for Lisp and some personal tools I use for music writing as well.

Return to “Off-Topic”