Microsoft + Github Acquisition (Rumors)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Microsoft + Github Acquisition (Rumors)

Post by Rachael »

Steve Ballmer at least had an outlook - it was the wrong outlook but at least he had one.

Tim Cook is an asshole with a title.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Graf Zahl wrote:
leileilol wrote:I'm on the side of riding it out until "The Bad Thing" occurs. I'm not in an alarmist panic over this.

in the meantime, hold Apple's beer.

So they finally deprecated OpenGL and chose to disconnect themselves from the last industry standard they supported?
I wonder what this means for iOS - will they refuse to accept OpenGL based software in 3-4 years to make their vendor lock-in even stronger?

Overall, I cannot say it surprises me the least. Tim Cook is virtually becoming Apple's Steve Ballmer, i.e. someone with no outlook over the future of computing, only having short term profits in mind.
Actually, such kind of moves are going to hit Apple, if you combine it with the removal of x86 support. Emulating x86 processor on an ARM is a near-impossible task, as x86 is supermassive CISC and ARM is RISC instruction set. They're even trying to shove iOS into a laptop! I can say that they are definitely going to shoot themselves in the foot. They will have to make developers rewrite everything for their new ARM MacOS. It feels like Apple is going back to it's MacOS days, when you couldn't run Windows software on their computers.

On-topic: I'm hoping for all of the FOSS projects using GitHub to move away to GitLab, Bitbucket. Github can and will turn into a shithole soon. I don't want to be a part of Microsoft's bullshit, so I'm planning a move to Linux soon.
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

Chris wrote:"Fine" in what sense? They're profitable? Sure, that's the point of the actions a corporation makes. But is it necessarily good for the public?
Doing fine means they didn't fuck it up.
Chris wrote: Well, take a look at Mojang/Minecraft. Not long after the buyout, they started development on a new "Windows 10 Edition" version, as well as new Editions for various consoles and other platforms, using a new engine.
The "new" engine is Pocket Edition, and its development was started way before the acquisition. Well, the Win10 edition was Microsoft's idea, that's true.
Chris wrote: Meanwhile, the original cross-platform Java version was rebranded "Minecraft Java Edition" to separate it from the Minecraft name proper.
I didn't like that either. Also, I don't think they would drop support for the Java version because of the outrage it would cause.
Chris wrote:
developed a Linux subsystem for Win10.
They developed Java for Windows at one time too.
Apples and oranges.

And just to be clear, I'm talking about the post-Ballmer Microsoft. MS is not the same company as it was during the '90s/2000s. Sure, they made some pretty bad decisions before, and yes, what they are doing now, they're doing in their own self-interest, but MS isn't that destructive that it was years ago. Apple took that position. :D
dpJudas wrote:For that reason I expect GitHub to eventually require a Microsoft account to log into GitHub.
I can't see that happen. LinkedIn, for example, still doesn't need a MS account.
Last edited by wolfmanfp on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Graf Zahl wrote:Overall, I cannot say it surprises me the least. Tim Cook is virtually becoming Apple's Steve Ballmer, i.e. someone with no outlook over the future of computing, only having short term profits in mind.
It's about not short-term profits, it's about long-term control.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Overall, I cannot say it surprises me the least. Tim Cook is virtually becoming Apple's Steve Ballmer, i.e. someone with no outlook over the future of computing, only having short term profits in mind.
It's about not short-term profits, it's about long-term control.

If that was the case they'd act smarter. But Apple is alienating both developers and customers left and right with their antics. Wait a few years and they'll exclusively serve the die-hard Apple-or-nothing crowd if this continues. Especially with no new interesting products coming up. They seem to forget everything else when looking at their iPhone profits.

To be honest, right now Microsoft is doing the smarter moves here. Unlike Apple, they show some strategic planning.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cacodemon345 wrote: On-topic: I'm hoping for all of the FOSS projects using GitHub to move away to GitLab, Bitbucket. Github can and will turn into a shithole soon. I don't want to be a part of Microsoft's bullshit, so I'm planning a move to Linux soon.

I don't see that happen. Especially when you consider that Microsoft itself has a gigantic stake in Github's well-being, as they have been their biggest customer.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Speaking of Apple, the popularity of their OSs is right now in a "frozen" state. Same goes for Android and Google too. But things for the OSs might take a turn if Fuchsia OS by Google gets popular, in which case Microsoft's money will burn out pretty real quick as many people are already using Android which is supposed to be replaced by Fuchsia OS and it will also replace Chrome OS.

Apple and Microsoft are already on a path to lose even more customers by their antics. Wait a few more years and you will find Google to be ruling the desktop instead of Linux.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I do not see that happening. There's too much software out there that depends on the existing OSs, so that a new upstart won't have it easy, unless it provided broad compatibility.
That doesn't mean such a thing isn't needed, but Google does not look like the right company to do it, and a quick look at the Wikipedia page seems to confirm it. Did I read this correctly and they again went for some high level scripting language as their first class development tool?
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Google will plan broad compatibility, as they can't scrap Android support completely. That would be harmful for their business. They will make the Fuchsia OS compatible with Android and Chrome OS and all that will be there is to enable Linux support, and then it will be enough to force Windows out of people's lives.

The reason? Many people are already using Android and some even moved over to smartphones, so it isn't really that much of an effort to get Fuchsia popular, at least for me.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's clear that you do not understand how this really works. As a note, computers are rapidly vanishing from private users' homes and the rest who keeps using them cannot just switch OSs on a whim.
A desktop OS that works like a smartphone OS is a losing proposition. Microsoft already tried and fell hard on their back with it.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

They can switch OSs if they have an incentive to do. There are people who are moving over to Linux due to what MS did with Win10.
Graf Zahl wrote:A desktop OS that works like a smartphone OS is a losing proposition. Microsoft already tried and fell hard on their back with it.
What about a smartphone OS that works like a desktop OS, yet it is still easier to use? There are people who went out of their way to root Android and run Linux programs on it.
And if I don't understand this, tell me how that works.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cacodemon345 wrote:They can switch OSs if they have an incentive to do. There are people who are moving over to Linux due to what MS did with Win10.
So where's that increase in market share? Get real: These users are mere background noise.
What about a smartphone OS that works like a desktop OS, yet it is still easier to use? There are people who went out of their way to root Android and run Linux programs on it.
That's also a tiny niche of users.
And if I don't understand this, tell me how that works.
Quite simple: People are very hard to separate from what they are used to. This becomes even stronger if a switch would not just mean learning a new OS but also having to cope with software that either works differently or doesn't even exist but is considered essential. In the enterprise world with custom made software such a switch is normally impossible.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Those "tiny niche of users" would then switch over to that. People will obviously have to cope up with new OS as it is inevitable.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Cacodemon345 wrote:Those "tiny niche of users" would then switch over to that. People will obviously have to cope up with new OS as it is inevitable.
No. That assumption of yours is so wrong that I'll say this. Currently, I'm using Win 7 and I won't change to any OS by being obligated to do so.....

Return to “Off-Topic”