MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Link Restored)

Post by Kinsie »

I'd like to have some sort of cute reference to the novels, but I don't want to go overboard with it because I haven't really read them and also that shit cray.

...hey, while this thread is active, I just updated the development build (one week away from a full year since the last commit!) with a fix from your good friend and mine, DrPySpy:
I modified the BFG tendrils' damage method to properly award kills and score to the player. It worked when testing in multiplayer, although I ran into a fatal crash with GZDoom that caused a memory leak (which seemed to be an engine bug related to player frags. I'll need to check on that later.) In singleplayer, it works flawlessly. I also updated the entirety of the BFG file to ZScript, and changed around the DECORATE/zscript.txt files accordingly. I also ported the weapon core to ZScript in order for inheritance to work properly with the BFG.
Feel free to kick it around and let me know if any bugs pop up. I'm in a MetaDoom-y mood so with any luck I'll start making some more tweaks and improvements based on what I've learned from my other mods. Who knows, maybe DrPySpy's pet project might find some form of completion and sneak in one day...?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Just to ask:
1. Where do the female/cyborg sounds come from? Because i'm not being familiar with them, at least right now.
2. Will the dog enemies share their own codex entry or have seperate entries of their own?
3. Will the Doomguy/player get a codex entry of his own too?

Alright, that should be enough.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Just to ask:
1. Where do the female/cyborg sounds come from? Because i'm not being familiar with them, at least right now.
2. Will the dog enemies share their own codex entry or have seperate entries of their own?
3. Will the Doomguy/player get a codex entry of his own too?

Alright, that should be enough.
Female is from Quake: Champions (plus some stock sounds because it's tradition), Cyborg is from Quake 3.
Dogs have their own seperate entries.
Player doesn't have their own entry. You're you. You know who you are.
Miru

Post by Miru »

Kinsie wrote:I'd like to have some sort of cute reference to the novels, but I don't want to go overboard with it because I haven't really read them and also that shit cray.

...hey, while this thread is active, I just updated the development build (one week away from a full year since the last commit!) with a fix from your good friend and mine, DrPySpy:
I modified the BFG tendrils' damage method to properly award kills and score to the player. It worked when testing in multiplayer, although I ran into a fatal crash with GZDoom that caused a memory leak (which seemed to be an engine bug related to player frags. I'll need to check on that later.) In singleplayer, it works flawlessly. I also updated the entirety of the BFG file to ZScript, and changed around the DECORATE/zscript.txt files accordingly. I also ported the weapon core to ZScript in order for inheritance to work properly with the BFG.
Feel free to kick it around and let me know if any bugs pop up. I'm in a MetaDoom-y mood so with any luck I'll start making some more tweaks and improvements based on what I've learned from my other mods. Who knows, maybe DrPySpy's pet project might find some form of completion and sneak in one day...?
I mentioned that the MetaDoom optional pack just doesn’t work for me, and gives an error log about a missing class. The D64 Caco may drop a human skull when gives for some reason. And something like having a “C24 Sample” or a “Fred Relic” as a pickup for points would be a good nod. Perhaps the Wolfenstein stages might be able to have enemies from other ID software games replacing them, or perhaps adding in all the enemies from the respective original maps as a nod? (Including the giant rats from the snes Version).
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Miru wrote:I mentioned that the MetaDoom optional pack just doesn’t work for me, and gives an error log about a missing class.
Load it after the main PK3. Use [wiki]ZDL[/wiki] to do this easily.
Miru wrote:Perhaps the Wolfenstein stages might be able to have enemies from other ID software games replacing them, or perhaps adding in all the enemies from the respective original maps as a nod? (Including the giant rats from the snes Version).
See now, if you had loaded the Optional Pack you'd have seen what I've done with the WolfSS replacements...
Miru

Post by Miru »

Kinsie wrote:
Miru wrote:I mentioned that the MetaDoom optional pack just doesn’t work for me, and gives an error log about a missing class.
Load it after the main PK3. Use [wiki]ZDL[/wiki] to do this easily.
Miru wrote:Perhaps the Wolfenstein stages might be able to have enemies from other ID software games replacing them, or perhaps adding in all the enemies from the respective original maps as a nod? (Including the giant rats from the snes Version).
See now, if you had loaded the Optional Pack you'd have seen what I've done with the WolfSS replacements...
Thanks! Just checked it out.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I do wonder: what are your plans for MetaDoom's update(s)?
Like, besides the codex, the female/cyborg player voices and a number of tweaks and changes, is there any thing else you had in mind for any update?
I just wonder.
Also, i just noticed those new lieutenant sprites and i like how it also references the Doom RPG enemy he was named after.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:I do wonder: what are your plans for MetaDoom's update(s)?
Like, besides the codex, the female/cyborg player voices and a number of tweaks and changes, is there any thing else you had in mind for any update?
I just wonder.
Some of the things I want to do, but might not get around to:
  • Rewrite the HUD in ZScript for additional capabilities (gender-specific mugshot, better powerup timer handling...)
  • A couple of new inventory items that I never got around to (Kinetic Mine, Portable Teleporter possibly?)
  • Fresh pass over some of the art. Some of the Doom 2016 inventory stuff looks pretty bad looking back. Hooray for screenshot rips!
  • Make things like the Lightning Gun stun ball that look bad look less bad.
  • Polish up the rough edges and maybe improve upon some of the half-finished stuff that was swallowed by ambition.
  • Maybe some new player sprites? A possibility, but pretty time-consuming for something players won't notice most of the time.
  • Ditto sprites for scripted marines, except moreso because there's multiple variants of the buggers.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hello! Some recent changes over the last few days:
  • The Shield Wall sprites have been redone. They now look less terrible.
  • The Lightning Gun's Stun Bomb has been given a visual go-over, and now looks less awful.
  • The 100% kills/items/secrets messages will now make an effort to wait their turn and not overlap each other when triggered in rapid succession (ie. MAP07)
  • If a script takes away the player's Pistol, they'll be given a Fist weapon so they can keep fighting until they get a Pistol again, instead of being completely defenceless.
If you're feeling brave, I'd greatly appreciate anyone grabbing a devbuild and kicking the tires a bit, and pointing out any issues. Thanks!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

When you bring up scripts taking away the player's pistol, do you mean the option for the weapon to use ammo as an example?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

whatup876 wrote:When you bring up scripts taking away the player's pistol, do you mean the option for the weapon to use ammo as an example?
Nope. To use Shadows Of The Nightmare Realm as an example, you start the first proper level without your pistol and have to find it slightly further in the level. This mod didn't have a fist, so you can't defend yourself until you get your pistol.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

The Codex has been merged in after much hard work by DrPySpy. Give him a round of applause!
Give a devbuild a kick-around and let me know if there's any bugs.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

there's a typo on the assault rifle's codex file. it's caliber, not calibur. also, on the codex file for the plasma rifle, you forgot the e on frightening and the pistol's flashlight doesn't work on my side. i'm playing it with con-psxdoom.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

After playing the first 8 levels of original Doom 2, the 100% triggers didn't show up in some levels.

Also, some monsters seem too big in their codex profiles, unless that's not much of an issue.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:After playing the first 8 levels of original Doom 2, the 100% triggers didn't show up in some levels.
I just fixed a potential issue where this might have happened if you exited a map while a 100% toast was running. Thanks for the heads-up.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”