Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the internet

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
scalliano

Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the internet

Post by scalliano »

https://edri.org/eu-member-states-agree ... t-uploads/

Giving this a signal boost, as it is fucking terrifying. Think Net Neutrality x10. Think ContentID at a government level. Think having to pay tax just to post an external link.

After all the EU's posturing over GDPR being good for the average Joe, here comes the tradeoff.
lil'devil

Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the inte

Post by lil'devil »

The totalitarian future is real after all... :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The main problem, as always, is that most major politicians predate the internet age and have absolutely no clue how it works. This entire thing is insanity squared cooked up by buffoons who have long passed the date of expiry when it comes to tech stuff.

On the bright side: Remember the last time that some politicians tried to push such crap (SOPA, PIPA, ACTA)? They all failed when having to be approved by parliament - both in the EU and USA. I really do not expect this to go any different route.

My personal expectation here is that the big internet corporations will threaten to fire thousands of employees and moving their business entirely overseas and this will die a quick death.
Only a total moron can believe that this can be done without suffering some extremely severe economical repercussions.

And if not, there's still the courts - as much of this is unconstitutional.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Glad someone brought this up again after Lexi halled the first one, because I really did want to see Graf's take on it as an EU-based computer guy!

(As for my own thoughts, this looks like an attempt to privatize China's Great Firewall based on a tattletale system... which seems a bit inherently dysfunctional in both the "evil statist oppressor" sense and the "if we shake the jar hard enough to make the bugs fight they will be able to eat each other and sustain their numbers by using themselves as food" sense.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd be willing to let this thread remain, for sake of importance, as long as it doesn't slide into a doom and gloom type of thing like the other one was.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

For some reason, I start to believe that Half-life 2 wasn't really a game, it was more like a warning.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Reactor wrote:For some reason, I start to believe that Half-life 2 wasn't really a game, it was more like a warning.
...What did I literally just say? :?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The problem here is, big media (BBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Sinclair, Time Warner, AT&T, CNN, etc) is in a HUGE effort to power-grab the internet. The "adpocalypse" on Youtube was part of the same effort and same campaign that caused this bullshit, along with SOPA/PIPA/ACTA to appear. It's that very same campaign that caused Net Neutrality to be repealed in the United States.

The reason is simple: The internet competes with their monopoly for providing information. They want to eliminate that and be the sole providers of said information.

In my opinion, though, the mainstream media is failing us. So, instead of fixing their problems, they're trying to kill the alternatives.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Oh Christ! As if the Net Neutrality thing wasn't bad enough, now I've got this to worry about too!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Days since last doomsaying: 0.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Just on tiny questions.
How they are going to "filter" all informations?
Because I dont see any really working ways, besides to put next to each internet user commissar, which prevent posting illegal links/informations/set of current interruptions by using something from range of "flaming speech dont do this!" and end up with "warning shot in the head computer from the service bolter hammer".
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I don't think they could. And even if they succeed, this will only incite people to join the "dark side", namely, the DarkWeb, which is free of censorships and stuff. Same thing when Napoleon tried to kill off England by the blockade, or the alcohol banisment in the USA. It only encouraged smuggling, and their loss was someone else's gain.
Main thing is: there will always be an "underground", a "rebellion".
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

This is not a "two minutes to midnight" situation tbh...
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

hardcore_gamer wrote:Good bye internet :(
Hello DarkWeb, my old friend... ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”