Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Scripten

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | ETA: THIS SUMMER | p55

Post by Scripten »

The choice of Kirby music for that map is surprisingly perfect. Also these maps keep getting better and better looking. Can't wait for the final release!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

MAP42 - "Gluttonous Gorehouse" is the last ghost house of the game!
https://www.facebook.com/goldensouls2/p ... =3&theater
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Only one last thing stands between Doomguy and Daisy: The cyberdemon, who has set the gears in motion.
Spoiler:
Randumb
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Randumb »

Here we come, Daisy!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

PSA: If you want to/are making a map for GS2, you have only one month left before i stop accepting submissions. As you noticed the mod is reaching completion, and i'm putting this limit to avoid unpleasant scenes where people make a map but the mod's already released and completed. Thank you very much!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Going on my to-play list for sure. :)
Andy Journey

Post by Andy Journey »

Because I seemingly can't PM Batandy (or anybody else), I'll just post my map here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/blglubuwmw7rcgn/MAP99.rar

It's almost done and I could use some feedback. It's also my first map done in UDMF format.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Andy Journey wrote:Because I seemingly can't PM Batandy (or anybody else), I'll just post my map here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/blglubuwmw7rcgn/MAP99.rar

It's almost done and I could use some feedback. It's also my first map done in UDMF format.
Thank you very much for posting this!

I think it's a good start but it's not refined enough to be included atm.
First of all, i think the concept is nice and it's got good music choice and atmosphere, for some reason it gave me Booster Tower vibes.
Some stuff is pretty clever like the moving platform and how to whole map is very vertical-room focused, i like that.
But i think the gameplay isn't very good, it's more of what hypothetically a GS2 kaizo map would be, it's difficult to navigate the rooms because they are both structured in a complex way and difficult to navigate because they are not memorable and visually confusing (Doesn't help that you basically used only checkerboard texture for every single wall, floor and ceiling). Then in the second section of the map, it's full of insta-death cannons and spikes put in a very unforgiving way (Kinda like GS1 but multiplied due to the sheer amount of stuff you've put in).
Another thing is the performance: this map is very laggy, considering the amount of 3d floors, cannons etc, you should've split it in multiple sections instead of keeping it all in basically just one.

As a side note, while the floor-ceiling sky is a nice idea to work with the fog behavior in gzdoom, i think a normal foggy sky would do fine and would make it easier to set up some of the rooms, and also avoid stretching textures around unless you really need to, the switches look really weird.

Sorry if maybe it's not what you expected, but i need to apply quality control with guest maps, in order to keep every map design coherent with the style, flow and gameplay of the mod.
If you're up on reworking your work based on this feedback i'll give it another go when you're ready!
Andy Journey

Post by Andy Journey »

Thanks for the feedback!

I've made some changes: split the map into completely isolated sections, replaced the spike maze and made it optional with a Doomguy coin reward (and removed the first coin, which can become unobtainable) and I made the rising floor different texture so it can get players attention more easily.

I'm still going to work on it and maybe make custom props, if I only knew how.
Andy Journey

Post by Andy Journey »

Sorry for double posting but here's a new version of my map:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5l0cvuvkirx6dbz/MAP99.rar
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Andy Journey wrote:Sorry for double posting but here's a new version of my map:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5l0cvuvkirx6dbz/MAP99.rar
The performance has really improved and it's less cluttered, that's good!
However, the layout is still really confusing, and the texture selection is still very limited and boring, some rooms are literally just squares with the checkerboard textures on.
If i were you i'd totally redesign the second half to make it more straightforward and flow better, and overall add more detail and less usage of said checkerboard textures.

Another thing is don't use the cyberdemon since he's supposed to be the big baddie of the mod! And don't stack cannons on top of each other
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Major Golden Souls 2 news are coming very soon! Stay Tuned!

https://www.facebook.com/goldensouls2/p ... =3&theater
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

*Bloody Tears intensifies*
luigiman0640
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by luigiman0640 »

Kinda looks like the swamp level from the Halloween Demo, but different.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”