Universal Gibs

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: [FINAL] Universal Gibs

Post by Accensus »

Thank you. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Aside from the splats having a nice beat to them, this seems to be related to Bounce.Floor. What do you have "Blood Pools" set to? I need to be absolutely sure where the issue is before I touch the code. Anything universal in Doom runs on black magic and blood altars. Asking, because the issue may be in Bounce.Wall or related to sliding itself, but my bet is on floor bouncing. If that's the case, I could try fixing it somehow or add a hardcoded limit if all else fails.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Lud wrote:Aside from the splats having a nice beat to them, this seems to be related to Bounce.Floor. What do you have "Blood Pools" set to? I need to be absolutely sure where the issue is before I touch the code. Anything universal in Doom runs on black magic and blood altars. Asking, because the issue may be in Bounce.Wall or related to sliding itself, but my bet is on floor bouncing. If that's the case, I could try fixing it somehow or add a hardcoded limit if all else fails.
I've got Blood Pools disabled, I just tested it with first bounce and still got the same occasional splat beats. Gib Velocity is at 1 for X/Y, 2.25 for Z so that gibs rise a little when an enemy is gibbed while standing.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

This mod has come a long way and I wanted to appreciate it.

Thank you, I'm having a blast with it! :wub:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@ RikohZX: I've pinpointed the issue to wall sliding. Don't know how to fix, but I'll keep forking it. It makes zero sense for this to bug out with non-vanilla blood. Seems to be some issue with collision, but I can't say for sure. It doesn't spawn blood if the blood is vanilla, but for some reason it spawns it if it's not. The hell???

@ Spaceman: Thank you for the kind words. Only thing left to do for this mod is change the gibs (some look bad and out of place), but sadly I am no spriter. I don't know where to borrow gibs from, either.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Fixed mysterious issue with non-vanilla blood where gibs would fail to unset IsSliding, resulting in constant spawning of blood trails.

I still have no clue WHY this happens. Couldn't reproduce it with vanilla blood to save my life.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Lud wrote:@ Spaceman: Thank you for the kind words. Only thing left to do for this mod is change the gibs (some look bad and out of place), but sadly I am no spriter. I don't know where to borrow gibs from, either.
Hmm, maybe I could try draw them. I've done gib sprites before for another game, so I might be able to do this.

Which sprites looked bad or out of place to you within the Universal Gibs?
I could try both editing existing sprites and trying to draw a new set from scratch.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

These do look a bit out of place, mostly the colors and satuation. I might commission sprites one of these days. I'm looking for something fairly brutal, like Droplets' giblets, but I can't take those because no permission, and the author's nowhere to be found, though I'll still ask around for those.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Lud wrote:These do look a bit out of place, mostly the colors and satuation. I might commission sprites one of these days. I'm looking for something fairly brutal, like Droplets' giblets, but I can't take those because no permission, and the author's nowhere to be found, though I'll still ask around for those.
Ah I didn't meant to recommend using the ones I posted an image of, those are just to show I've done spriting before and that I'm serious about taking up the request for new sprites.

That is very useful information for you to mention Droplets and that this is what you're wanting. This info helps me as a spriter to know what and how I should draw. I have droplets downloaded, thought I've never had the chance to use it yet so I've never experienced them ingame. I did extract the sprite files out of the pk3 within Droplets and had a look at them, they're certainly something I can whip up myself from scratch.
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Tue May 29, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I'd say hold for now. Talked with a friend of mine, some sprites might show up in the somewhat near future, but I can't say for sure at the moment. Thank you for offering to do the sprites, though. Is greatly appreciated!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Lud wrote:I'd say hold for now. Talked with a friend of mine, some sprites might show up in the somewhat near future, but I can't say for sure at the moment. Thank you for offering to do the sprites, though. Is greatly appreciated!
Noice! Thats great news! :D
I'll be on stand-by then. If things change, PM me or post a public request for sprites in the first post.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Lud wrote:- Fixed mysterious issue with non-vanilla blood where gibs would fail to unset IsSliding, resulting in constant spawning of blood trails.

I still have no clue WHY this happens. Couldn't reproduce it with vanilla blood to save my life.
It's funny because I managed to have it happen to vanilla blood earlier today too, but since they don't make a sound and barely have an effect on anything since they fade so quickly, it's nigh impossible to notice and doesn't really impact anything at all. Unless you're using that DIO Doom mod and brokenly regenerate health off of all the little blood trail bits the gibs leave behind, anyway.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

It has something to do with bouncing, but I don't know what. Seems like sliding gibs could have exhausted their "bounce points" and refuse to enter Bounce.Floor which would essentially stop spawning blood trails. Well, it doesn't seem to do so when using Droplets or Ketchup. I tried a lot of experiments with vanilla blood, but couldn't reproduce it. IsSliding always got set to false in the end.

Meh. As long as it works...
Cheater87

Post by Cheater87 »

How do I run this all I see are text files in the folder.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

See the note under the link to the GitLab repo. You don't have to unpack the zip, just load that one.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”