BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FFFFRRRR

BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping

Post by FFFFRRRR »

Based on the arcade game from '80, this mod for Doom2 recreates the classic robot-shooter in true 2.5D!

It is as simple as it gets: Zap all robots with your laser, move on to the next room, get a high score. Don't get hit by other lasers, and the only walls that don't kill you are the exits!
Beware though, as you can only have 1 laser projectile in total! You can always fire another, but the already existing one will disappear. Robots do not have this problem here.

Each killed robot gets you 10 points. Destroy all robots in the room to gain a bonus of 20. Or not, if you want to lose 40 points. But don't think you can do this too often. Clear 4 rooms in a row to gain an extra shield, which absorbs 1 laser or wall-touch. You can hold a maximum of 3 shields.

! New from 1.1 !
You generally wanna go fast. If you are too slow with completing a room, : ] will be there. He'll chase you until you get out of the room. Once he is in, there is no way to get rid of him other than leaving the room. Even worse, when he is inside a room and you clear it, he will get even faster. He does not ignore your shields, but he drains them fast.
The longer you stay alive, the less time you have to complete it before he appears. Eventually, you will see him pretty much every room.

The more points you get, the more menacing the robots will be! There are 7 variants that behave slightly differently:
Spoiler:

See BrzGuy making his way though the game! (Click on the image to get to full size)

Spoiler:

Grab the latest version of BRZRK right here! Currently: [1.1] Recommended with the latest version of GZDoom.
Old Version 1.0
Spoiler: Changelog

For a list of Credits, view the included ReadMe file.
Last edited by FFFFRRRR on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
undeadmonk354

Re: BRZRZK [1.0] - Modern Robot Zapping

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Where's that Evil Otto?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Is this an IWAD, or what IWAD am I supposed to play it with?
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

undeadmonk354 wrote:Where's that Evil Otto?
I wasn't able to implement him without making the game very frustrating yet.
In the original game, you always saw where he is. You also always saw where all robots are.
But here, you have to search for robots, and you do not always know where Otto would be. If you are in a dead end, chances are, you may be dead before you can do anything about it.
AvzinElkein wrote:Is this an IWAD, or what IWAD am I supposed to play it with?
It works with any basic Doom IWAD, it should work with other IWADs, too. Have you tried loading it?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

FFFFRRRR wrote:
undeadmonk354 wrote:Where's that Evil Otto?
I wasn't able to implement him without making the game very frustrating yet.
In the original game, you always saw where he is. You also always saw where all robots are.
But here, you have to search for robots, and you do not always know where Otto would be. If you are in a dead end, chances are, you may be dead before you can do anything about it.
AvzinElkein wrote:Is this an IWAD, or what IWAD am I supposed to play it with?
It works with any basic Doom IWAD, it should work with other IWADs, too. Have you tried loading it?
I tried using Ultimate DOOM, but it didn't load correctly.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

I assume you mean the episodes. That's true, I did not think of that.
I'll keep that in mind for the first update, I put that info into the start post. You'll have to use Doom2 for now. Or anything that starts with a MAP01.
Thank you!
osjclatchford

Re: BRZRZK [WIP 1.0] - Modern Robot Zapping

Post by osjclatchford »

A shit ya beat me to it. Literally working on one exactly like this for a month now. Oh well this looks great. Nice one...
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Hi! I like this :) Very basic graphics, but very well done!

Have a small issue though. I don't know for which screen resolution you have set this up, but on my laptop the menu is not completely visible:

(windows 10, default resolution 1920*1080); tried several more, i.e. on 640*400 the menu was completely gone).

I guess it's because of the Position in the ListMenu.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

osjclatchford wrote:A shit ya beat me to it. Literally working on one exactly like this for a month now. Oh well this looks great. Nice one...
That sucks, but I'm not forbidding you to make another one. You can always make it better.
gwHero wrote:Hi! I like this :) Very basic graphics, but very well done!
I guess it's because of the Position in the ListMenu.
Thank you! Glad you like it.
Yes, it does seem to be the positioning. I think I'll move the menu into the center of the screen. That way, it wouldn't cause trouble with other resolutions.
Beetow Brode
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Beetow Brode »

my eyes hurt :puke:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

FFFFRRRR wrote:
That sucks, but I'm not forbidding you to make another one. You can always make it better
Believe me I can't... Still not had time to dl this and have a go yet but it looks amazing. Berzerk was my favourite arcade and 2600 game for an age! In fact I still play it occasionally on a 2600 emulator from the to time.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

Beetow Brode wrote:my eyes hurt :puke:
Explain.
osjclatchford wrote: Believe me I can't... Still not had time to dl this and have a go yet but it looks amazing.
You can still always give it a try. Or maybe you can change it into something differnt.
osjclatchford wrote: Berzerk was my favourite arcade and 2600 game for an age! In fact I still play it occasionally on a 2600 emulator from the to time.
It is am amazing game. Inredibly simple but very addicting.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Well, the 'twitch' gameplay of berzerk is not at all dissimilar to doom's. In fact I'd say that wolf3d, and in turn doom, was the natural evolution of berzerks action-orientated shootathon but taking it to the next level. This project is an ideal and we'll deserved nod to doom's great grandpappy!
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

This could benefit from voxel models, what do you think?

Ravick

Post by Ravick »

In these last days I was thinking in ways to implement a Bezerk minigane for my mod, and now I see this! What a nice coincidence! :wub:

Downloading right now! :D

___
Edit: BTW, about the Evil Otto, what about make it a little slower and givinig it a looping sound? Player would know when it is coming, and get ready!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”