[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rowsol

Re: [v2.1] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Rowsol »

I've gotta say, the bundle system you have in here would be very helpful standalone. For mods that have a ton of different enemies like colorful hell, assigning drops for each is a real chore. As a test I removed all custom drops, set this mod to 100% red champs, removed the 2x health, and now the drops are defined by the health of the monster. While total health isn't full proof on the strength of the monster it's the best we've got.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [v2.1] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Untitled »

namsan wrote:I was thinking, an ability of Pink enemies is too insufficient to be an actual threat to players.
Healing 8 hp per second won't change things much.
I have some ideas to make pink enemies more interesting.

1: Give an ability that can heal nearby enemies to pink enemies.
2: Buff their healing ability more (like 24hp/sec), But their regeneration will stop for seconds if they received damage.
So Player still can kill them with weak weapons like pistols.
Honestly, 24hp/sec isn't that much, even in combat. For reference, here's all of the vanilla doom weapons DPS:
-Pistol: 25 DPS
-Shotgun: 66 DPS
-Super Shotgun: 137 DPS
-Chaingun and Chainsaw: 88 DPS
-Rocket Launcher: 381 DPS with radius damage, 158 without radius damage
-Plasma Rifle: 263 DPS
-BFG9000: something ridiculous
Rowsol

Re: [v2.2] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Rowsol »

The performance difference is night and day. Tested on a 900 monster map.

No champs = 60 fps
100% champs = 40
Old version = 10

The blood color was much needed. Well, time to play it!

Oh, almost forgot. When I tried it with legendoomlite I noticed the legendary monsters health and damage boosts would overwrite this mod's, such as with red/black and titan. Is this still an issue?

Bug report: the indigo babies don't share the blood color.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Version 2.2 is out now!!

mk-champions[2.2].pk3 (273kb)

Code: Select all

~New Features in v2.2~ The Performance Update!
		- New options settings
			- Projectile/Blood inherits Champion Colour
			- New Ice translation
			- All setting modifications will take change AFTER map change.

- Pink champions now heal more HP/s and will heal nearby enemies

- Violet champions have 2 new patterns to attack with

- Bundles have had an overhaul, will now drop better items
			- Drops are split into 6 tiers. Tiers are based on the dropping monster's StartHealth
			- Currently bundles are only available for DOOM based games. Raven, Strife, Chex and Square to come later!

Issues Resolved
		- Performance - the previous versions made extensive use of expensive CVAR checks
			- I have reduced the amount of calls per tic on each champion and icon class
			- This has greatly reduced the numbers reported in the "stat vm" ccmd
			- One small caveat is that all CVar changes will only take effect after a map change.
Rowsol wrote:The performance difference is night and day. Tested on a 900 monster map.

No champs = 60 fps
100% champs = 40
Old version = 10

The blood color was much needed. Well, time to play it!

Oh, almost forgot. When I tried it with legendoomlite I noticed the legendary monsters health and damage boosts would overwrite this mod's, such as with red/black and titan. Is this still an issue?

Bug report: the indigo babies don't share the blood color.
Only a minor cosmetic difference - I'll fix in the next patch.

Monster health should be scaled accordingly with Legendoom (hopefully)
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Well after some playing I've come to realize the GLdefs attached to the projectiles don't change so you have flying pink balls letting off green light, which sucks and while I would hope there's a work around I'm not holding my breath. Also, bundles seem to give out less stuff, so that's good, but I do hope there might be a global slider for loot in the future as it's still a bit much in my opinion.

This mod is really turning out pretty great. I noticed some future mutations in the file too, so I look forward to that.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

There's not much I can do in regard to the incorrect dynamic lights, as I'm not modifying the projectiles directly. The only alternatives on the user side is to either disable projectile inheritance colour or disable dynamic lights. While neither solution is optimal it's the only way I can see.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Red champ seems to have an issue when you're using a non-standard monsterhealth in mapinfo. Rather than trying to explain I just made a video showing it. https://youtu.be/qivBRqeCZzc

Previous version didn't do this, but that version also didn't work with legendoom either so I assume that compatibility is the culprit.

e: turns out it's not being red that does it, it just does it regardless of what champion it is.
e2: I can't get guys to mutate anymore. I set the thing to 256 and nothing.
e3: not that it matters because load order can fix it, but loading nash blood before this causes some crazy blood spots to occur.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Rowsol wrote:Red champ seems to have an issue when you're using a non-standard monsterhealth in mapinfo. Rather than trying to explain I just made a video showing it. https://youtu.be/qivBRqeCZzc

Previous version didn't do this, but that version also didn't work with legendoom either so I assume that compatibility is the culprit.

e: turns out it's not being red that does it, it just does it regardless of what champion it is.
e3: not that it matters because load order can fix it, but loading nash blood before this causes some crazy blood spots to occur.
There seems to be some strangeness going on with the StartHealth variable and MonsterHealth setting in MAPINFO, I've fixed this now (just had to set champion.StartHealth to champion.Health / MonsterHealth)
I'll take a look at mutations, they were working previously, perhaps something in the BaseController rewrite screwed up..
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mikk- wrote:
Rowsol wrote:Red champ seems to have an issue when you're using a non-standard monsterhealth in mapinfo. Rather than trying to explain I just made a video showing it. https://youtu.be/qivBRqeCZzc

There seems to be some strangeness going on with the StartHealth variable and MonsterHealth setting in MAPINFO, I've fixed this now (just had to set champion.StartHealth to champion.Health / MonsterHealth)
I'll take a look at mutations, they were working previously, perhaps something in the BaseController rewrite screwed up..
Wait, does this mod work with AoS too?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I'm sorry but you'll have to excuse me here as I don't know what AoS is :lol:
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mikk- wrote:I'm sorry but you'll have to excuse me here as I don't know what AoS is :lol:
Adventures of Square.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Oh yes! It works with Square too!! This mod should work with virtually anything
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mikk- wrote:Oh yes! It works with Square too!! This mod should work with virtually anything
How in the infinite dimensions did you get it to work with anything?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

ZScript and a lot of curse words. Maybe a sacrifice to a Lovecraftian Elder God or two
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

We may have an issue: Mods used (in order): Heretical Doom, Heretical Doom Monsters, Champions, Episodic, and a music patch.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”