[v2.0] The Adventures of Square: EPISODE 2: GALACTIC LUNACY

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HAL9000

Re: [v2.0] The Adventures of Square: EPISODE 2: GALACTIC LUN

Post by HAL9000 »

The Adventures of Square looks pretty good when combined with Retro FX Dither shader by Indecom/torridgristle

Screenshot (large image):
https://i.imgur.com/4oP08lt.jpg

Shader Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=60127&p=1050979&h ... X#p1050979
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Just downloaded. Will give it a try on the weekend. :)
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I nicked this from Term's stream when he streamed it and have it as the titlepic because it is glorious

Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

HE'S GONNA

KNOCK YOUR BLOCK OFF
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

He's definitely out of Shape to kick some Balls.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

goddamn, the second episode is really good. it really ups the ante compared to the first episode, what with the levels just being so much bigger in scale and having much more going on in them, but never feeling too overbearing to complete (unless you're playing on hard mode, which is a given, heh).

you guys have done a fantastic job on it so far! i don't think i have any actual gameplay nitpicks because i found everything to be very tightly balanced and nothing being outright unfair. the only thing i can think of is that the game has the software renderer turned on as the default setting. a bit of an odd choice, i feel. nothing inherently wrong with that decision, but it did mean that the instance i started up the second episode, the FPS tanked tremendously, which was something i did not experience in OpenGL mode. otherwise, it's really solid stuff! :)

i do have one actual issue to report: on this spot of E2A8, there seems to be a texture glitch. otherwise, i didn't find anything particularly malign.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I just for thru the first map of the second episode and loving it so far. Did it on Quadralateral Damage (i'm assuming that's the UV equivalent). Took a couple of tries to get use to the weapons and enemies, but good solid fun so far. Leaning on the hard side but nothing too ridiculous. Ammo is pretty balanced and both the levels and enemies are a blast to look at with the fun cartoon style, especially when they die and explode into chunks. Will play more when time allows. Looking very entertaining so far. :)
Viscra Maelstrom

i actually finished both episodes on Cubular just yesterday, minus the secret levels.it wasn't easy, let me tell you, but i managed! somehow... :chainsaw:

this actually reminds me, on Cubular, i noticed that a couple of the Fishtank spawners on E2A3 were missing. i don't remember what the locations were called, but one of the spawners in the green area is missing, and both spawners are missing in the orange area. this isn't a huge deal because of the teleporters that take you back to the hub, but i thought i'd mention it.

(also, i noticed that my username in the "special thanks" section is using my old Doomhuntress handle, rather than my current Viscra Maelstrom one)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Got thru 6(?) levels so far, and the difficulty ranges from balls-had to pretty challenging. Surprisingly, I found the earlier levels to be much harder due to the lack of the more powerful weapons. Once you stock up on ammo and extra health, the later levels were pretty reasonable, although still on the hard side. Found myself dying numerous times. Died more than once on the third level because I couldn't find enough Fishtanks to survive in the space areas. :P

Things I liked:
-Neat enemies and fun aesthetic. Was a blast blowing away the cute yet frustratingly hard (at times) enemies. The geometry-theme definitely works out for their favor.
-Love the large sprawling levels (although easy to get lost in).

Thigns I found frustrating:

-My biggest gripe would be the levels are pretty easy to get lost in. Maybe I haven't gotten used to looking at the textures yet, but there aren't any many landmarks to help tell me where to go next. The simplistic details on all the textures makes it hard for me to differentiate what's a door and what isn't. Combined with the huge levels, I found myself walking in circles looking in an area I've already cleared over and over looking for what I need to do next only to find out I kept walking pass the the door that I thought was just a wall. Some flashing triangles pointing up might help with differentiating a door from just a regular texture.

-I also kept running out of air. The third map was where I had the most trouble. It's pretty gigantic, and I found myself unable to explore the first time around because I would run out of air and have to go back to one of the Fishtank spawners. There was a lot of back-and-forths, leaving little time to actually progress.

Will finish the next 3-4 levels when I have time.
Vader

Post by Vader »

I replayed episode 1 again just to get back into it and just finished the 2nd episode this evening and it has been a blast... I want more :P
This is such a great concept and it actually makes me jealous that I didn't think of something like this myself. The artwork is kept simple but is still awesome and has that special charm to it. It's just adorable! Also loving the voice acting with the various refereces to other oldschool FPS's.
The level design is right up my alley as well, with mostly large open maps wich encourage exploring and with quite challenging encounters but without getting "slaughterish". My favorites would be E2A3 (although I agree with Eriance/Amuscaria that abother fishtank-spawner would be nice... preferably somewhere north of the starting building), that forest map with the sea of jelly cubes (E2A5?), the map with the rising and lowering lava (cheddar) near the end and of course the secret maps :D
The new enemies are awesome as well and fit right in with the rest of the cast... especially the Strongman is great with its various abilities (nice MK reference when throwing his hook btw. :wink: ).

So, just to not sound like a total fanboy, here're a few nitpicks:
-The new weapon didn't really do it for me... the homing projectiles are nice and deal a good amount of damage but the weapon still kind of felt underwhelming to me. Maybe increasing the firing speed would help?
Another thing that bothered me was that the weapon seemed to be perfect to dispatch certain foes in the distant like Oozie-jerks and Cylonders etc, but often they were just too far away for the homing effect to apply, so maybe increasing the range of the homing effect would help... if that's possible!
-As already mentioned after completing E1 back then; I'd really love to see enemie gibs to NOT disappear after some time. Don't know if it's a performance issue, but if so I would at least like to see an option to enable permanent gibs (if thats possible) for those people with PC's capable of handling it. Maybe it's just me, but it really bothers me... not only does it feel like a visible achievement, but it's also helpful to navigate a map and to tell where you've already been.
I've already tried to do this myself by editing the DECORATE, but the code is rather complex and it only gave me errors upon testing and I really lack the time to dive deeper into this...
Spoiler:
Viscra Maelstrom

Spoiler:
and speaking of hard to reach areas...
Spoiler:
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

v2.0 Bug report (And fix!)

Post by TDRR »

The new pseudo-bunnyhop feature introduced in 2.0 breaks multiplayer, causing a desync every time a player jumps, i have no idea why it does, but i do have a fix:

Here's some ACS code i cobbled up to quickly fix this
Spoiler:
From there to actually apply the patch you need to compile that code, include it in the LOADACS file, now you need to go into SNDINFO and comment the $playeralias lines that alias the jump sound to the player itself, now open the zscript folder and in player.txt delete everything after TNT1 A -1; Stop; until you get to the last two curly bracers of the player definition and just save the pk3 file, open square and enjoy the multiplayer experience!

EDIT: Almost forgot, you need to set the player's jumpz height to 0 so that you won't get sent flying when you press spacebar
MTrop

Re: v2.0 Bug report (And fix!)

Post by MTrop »

TDRR wrote:The new pseudo-bunnyhop feature introduced in 2.0 breaks multiplayer, causing a desync every time a player jumps, i have no idea why it does, but i do have a fix

Whoa. Good find! We'll have to review it internally, though - we're not too keen on using ACS for a workaround. At worst, this might need to be elevated as a ZSCRIPT bug.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks for the sleuthing, TDRR!

Seems like multiplayer doesn't like it when you override CheckJump() -- that's probably a GZDoom bug worth reporting, but for now moving the custom jumping code to Tick() and soft-disabling GZDoom's native jumping by setting JumpZ to zero seems to have solved the problem. Basically the same as the ACS patch, except we can keep the existing ZScript code. Wheeee!

Guess we've got a pretty big incentive to do a 2.1 release, now. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Tiny bug report for E2A2: the selected sectors here are tagged 700 ("outside"), which makes them damaging, even though they're on the in side of the windows.

(I discovered that because my fishtank ran out while there, and the spawner is not filtered for skill 4 so there was no replacement, so I figured I'd jump on the window and then on the key pedestal to go back out by the high way and only lose 50/75% life instead of going through the red platform with no hope of reaching safety in time. That the spawner isn't enabled for all skills is also probably a bug too, come to think of it.)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”