[WIP] Wolfenstein 3D HQ Sprites

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Clay

Re: [WIP] Wolfenstein 3D HQ Sprites

Post by Clay »

These look awesome! I don't care what anyone says about it not being worth it to do higher res sprites and them never being completed. No one will finish one unless someone starts it. Keep it up! I have some experience with blender and texturing and rendering sprites. So if you need some help in that arena feel free to message me and tell me more about your process. Cheers!
Alex238

Post by Alex238 »

Gamma64

Post by Gamma64 »

Thanks from all of us!
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Hi.
I said somewhere that I planned to release something by the end of septemper IIRC... well, that obviously didn't happen, for a few reasons.
Since I'm not sure I'll ever get back to this project, I decided to release the mod with whatever I've already done at this point.

You can find more details here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51005

I know a lot of areas could have improvements but it'll have to do (still much better than the vanilla games IMO).
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Some sprites made for the mods (except for the MP40, Chaingun, non-throwed knife and flamethrower, everything else is new since my last sprite releases, including the thinner "luger").
More can be found on the link from my previous post, you'll just have to open the PK3 files.

OBS: The kar98 sprite was based on [this] image by DennisBelmondo.
Gamma64

Post by Gamma64 »

Great Coffee Break sprites! You might want to increase the border size on the KAR98 sprite, or lower the arm, as the corner of the border cuts off the arm a bit. Other than, that, awesome!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hooooly crud those are excellent improvements!! Excellent work!... Although that MG34's drum magazine looks way too bright!

EDIT: Darn it, darn it. I mean MG34.
Last edited by Captain J on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Gamma64 wrote:Great Coffee Break sprites! You might want to increase the border size on the KAR98 sprite, or lower the arm, as the corner of the border cuts off the arm a bit. Other than, that, awesome!
Yes, I'm aware of that. Problem is, it was starting to get too wide and I animated it manually with code on ECWolf, thus, if I changed the sprite width I would have to align all the animation again for the Kar, so I went the lazy way and just lowered the sprite y-axis in-game. :-p
Captain J wrote:Hooooly crud those are excellent improvements!! Excellent work!...
Thanks, these frankensprites were hard to do right, but I'm mostly happy with them.
I didn't like how the MG34-like gun ended looking a bit small, similar to a M249, but eh, it's not supposed to look realistic anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Captain J wrote:Although that MG40's drum magazine looks way too bright!
Ummm... ye, Maybe...
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Thats a great looking MG 34 you have there :)
Nice Work
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Any chance of seeing a proper green version of Trans and the Death Knight with his eye scope thingy in glorious 128x128 resolution.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Like this?
ImageImage
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I never understood why the targeting scout was left out of the Death Knight's hi-res Mac sprite. Sure it's not a must-have, but nevertheless, it made the Death Knight look even mode badass.

"TOD IST MEIN LEBEN!!!"
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Yea, but Trans looks a little "palette-raped".

Something like this. Though it still don't look quite right to me.
Reactor wrote:I never understood why the targeting scout was left out of the Death Knight's hi-res Mac sprite. Sure it's not a must-have, but nevertheless, it made the Death Knight look even mode badass.

"TOD IST MEIN LEBEN!!!"
Probably 'cos the original port that came with the hi-res sprites was a rushed product (Atari Jaguar) put together over a weekend, hence why a lot of stuff was missing and the enemies had reduced amount of frames.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, at least it's kinda faithful to the original DOS Wolf3d now. And gotta be honest, the original Mac sprite of trans looks poorly improved than i thought.
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

Did a little work on the guard again. Here's a comparison gif:

I took a few artistic liberties with regards to the collar out of personal preference, but before I do any more work, I'm wondering if some of the changes I've made are worth incorporating into the main project.

Return to “Resources”