[METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype (Update p.2)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
willkuer

[METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype (Update p.2)

Post by willkuer »

Hi folks!
Got this (very basic) Mech mod prototype to play around with. Nothing new, it's been done before, but I wanted to try myself :mrgreen:
Don't overheat! ;)

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/iYbgsYX[/imgur]

Info:
Spoiler:
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Old video (originally posted in the Spriting Carnival thread):
Spoiler:
Current build download:
Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b61zs0twq ... type_3.pk3
DropBox mirror:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f18fjzxwnl1ae ... 3.pk3?dl=0

Old downloads:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
EDIT: Sorry, forgot about the image tags. Thanks Blue Shadow!
Last edited by willkuer on Tue May 29, 2018 2:40 am, edited 12 times in total.
SamVision

Re: [METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype

Post by SamVision »

This looks wonderful, please actually finish it.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I agree, please continue.
exorio

Post by exorio »

I love how heavy it feels when the player walks! Definitely not a big fan of the sprites though.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

All this needs now is a flamethrower, a PPC and an Alpha Strike choice! :D
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

here is a great idea.. what about a mod for doom where you can climb on mecs and climb off.... also take over other mecs
also i can help you try to make the enemies look more realitic ... leave ma message i cant promise i am able to
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

SamVision wrote:This looks wonderful, please actually finish it.
Gideon020 wrote:I agree, please continue.
Thanks, glad you liked it! :) Certainly, I'll keep playing around with the mod. But as always, (spare) time is of the essence. Also, I have three other mods out in the wild that need tending, I believe :D
exorio wrote:I love how heavy it feels when the player walks! Definitely not a big fan of the sprites though.
If you mean the enemies, they are placeholders. I probably will never have enough time and skill to delve deep into monster spriting, sorry. But there are enough awesome artists and technicians in this community, I trust somebody already made some mech-sprites :D These are from Metal Slug and some RPG Maker forums (the mech) btw.
Weapons and the pixel arty explosions from Metal Slug, I quite like though - they meld well with the basic GZDoom aesthetics and give a not-too-serious-tone.
Gideon020 wrote:All this needs now is a flamethrower, a PPC and an Alpha Strike choice! :D
You bet! :D Good opportunity to check out how to make a class selection screen/implementation to switch between light/medium/heavy for different loadouts. Maybe even mid-level via morphing? Flamer... overheat pain state for the enemies even? Dunno, again: Spare time, job and all ... :/
shadstarn wrote:here is a great idea.. what about a mod for doom where you can climb on mecs and climb off.... also take over other mecs
also i can help you try to make the enemies look more realitic ... leave ma message i cant promise i am able to
Like Titan Fall? :D Way beyond my skill and probably only doable in a very simplified form in GZDoom. But, Sgt. Mark of Brutal Doom had something cooking with enterable mechs and other vehicles, using 3D models even, if I remember correctly. And Blade of Agony has a tank with separatly moving turret and body - if you're interested in the technical side of things. But thats not my goal here, sorry.

I'm here to find that slow, heavy, juggernaut-on-mechanical-feet feeling of movement and weaponry. :wub:
Last edited by willkuer on Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

You would be surprised how many people just mash existing assets into franken-sprites, or edit someone else's work into what they need. You could make what you need with enough searching a really basic image editing (look into Aseprite).
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Kyotra wrote:You would be surprised how many people just mash existing assets into franken-sprites, or edit someone else's work into what they need. You could make what you need with enough searching a really basic image editing (look into Aseprite).
Yea I know :) As for editing software, I use Photoshop mainly for my spriting since I'm graphic/media designer and image technician by trade ;) But I'm not that good with characters (well, mechs in this case), especially sprite rotations. Maybe I can whip something up using Blender batch rendering. Some people in the community used this technique to good effect already. But again, if I put time into this, there are higher priority things that need work - coding the heat managment, classes, weapons etc.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This is definitely on the right track, the MW2 nostalgia is strong with this. I do question why the heat output of the autocannon is so high (I thought the point of ballistic weapons was lower heat output than missiles and lasers?), and I did have a lot of problems with the heat warnings not occurring soon enough to stop myself from being locked out of firing altogether. Really though, the fact that my quibbles are so minor speaks to the solid quality of this so far. Just really needs to be more of it, heh.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Had two hours to spare today... quick video of what I achieved:

* Classes have different armor save percentages; light classes have the lowest, heavy classes the highest armor rating.
* Speed and jump jet capabilities also depend on class.
* Heat management is now a nice ACS.
* Radar is being reworked to resize itself properly to different screen resolutions. For now, it checks for screen width (1280 and 640 tested) and renders accordingly.
wildweasel wrote:This is definitely on the right track, the MW2 nostalgia is strong with this. I do question why the heat output of the autocannon is so high (I thought the point of ballistic weapons was lower heat output than missiles and lasers?), and I did have a lot of problems with the heat warnings not occurring soon enough to stop myself from being locked out of firing altogether. Really though, the fact that my quibbles are so minor speaks to the solid quality of this so far. Just really needs to be more of it, heh.
Thanks! This honors me :) As for the heat values, they aren't balanced in any way, pretty arbitrary actually. I will check the Battletech rules wiki and try to extract proper values from there.

If you're interested, you can try the version from the latest video here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bw9y2imkn ... type_2.pk3

Keep in mind though, light and heavy classes have no weapon loadout yet, only adjusted armor and speed/jump ratings. But the heat warning should work way better in this.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Got to say I really like this so far, and that it would be a tremendous shame if it remained a prototype. I get strong MW2/ Heavy Gear vibes from it.

A few nits to pick:
1. It seems like you should be able to fire the minigun and the other weapons simultaneously.
2. The tracer effect for the minigun looks weak and slow to me. It doesn't suggest the speed or violence of a large caliber rapid fire weapon.

What are your plans for this? For what its worth, I would play the hell out of something in this style.
Daiki Akaoni

Post by Daiki Akaoni »

I think the time you use a weapon until it gets overheated should be a little longer, maybe 2 or 3 seconds non stop firing until the "overheat" thing shows up.
(maybe you made it like this to be more balanced towards enemy mech to make it not so overpowered?)

Just a sugestion, you know, looks pretty dam good overall :3:

EDIT: Nevermind, the overheat time is ok, the bad thing is that jumping overheats too... but maybe thats part of the "you are in a mech" thing
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Just chiming in to say that this looks and sounds really good.

Maybe you can find the sprites from the old Mechwarrior 1 game.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

cherno: Looking at some gameplay videos of old mw1...dude, it uses 3D models :shock:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”