Help with Dragon ball Z effects

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kagur

Help with Dragon ball Z effects

Post by Kagur »

Hey everyone,
I attempted to test how I can achieve certain Dragon Ball Z style effects on Zdoom, that I have not seen in any mods up till now. I have tried searching and experimenting to get these effects but I think its time I ask here.

My inquiries are:

1, For the purpose of emphasizing light intensity with either brightmaps, GLDEFS or transparent glowing sprites, how can I add darkness as a GLDEF like color shade? The WraithVerge from Hexen has something akin to this, but I'm not able to get anything out of it because its hard coded and I'm uncertain if it would even display blended lighting emitted from objects within its field.

https://s9.postimg.cc/ahksvue9b/Darkness.png

2, How can I tell Gzdoom to invert colors of objects, background textures and the skybox without altering lighting (make all dark colors light and light colors dark, with and without any change in light intensity)?

https://s9.postimg.cc/5f3h1ln4v/Cell.png

3, What is the least memory intensive way of adding dark shaded streaks on any objects close to a perticular light emission source?

https://s9.postimg.cc/owy4hjzi7/Krillin.png
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Help with Dragon ball Z effects

Post by Pixel Eater »

If you like these effects then you might like to learn shader programming. I've just started reading this and even after making shaders of my own before it's blowing my mind what they can do :shock:

As to the particular effects:

The first one I could attempt for you, though no guarantees it'd be identical.

The second requires a fullbright sample texture of the scene being sent to the shader system (you'd need to submit code for that). Or a shader applied individually to every texture and sprite but I don't think they can then be toggled?

The third I'm not sure about. Maybe another sample texture with a rainbow 'burst gradient' centered on the brightest average location. Then you could use the Hue to trace the angle to the source. Or maybe just simple coordinates passed along in a variable :lol:
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

Thanks for the response Pixel eater. Yes, its become clear that to achieve these effects, I must familiarize with shader programming, but that will take time, as I have never looked into it before. Getting the first one done would be really appreciated. I will see what I can do for the other two based on your solutions.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Kagur, having read back I might have misunderstood the purpose of that first effect you were after. I thought it was a dynamic range enhancement type of thing but now I'm wondering if you meant a "darken everything except for one sprite" affair. If that's the case I might have to do some experimenting to figure out how/if it's possible. This is what I had so far anyway:
DBZdynrange.pk3
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

Thanks, but is this suppose to be compatible with Gzdoom 3.3.1? Because I tried it with it and I did not notice any difference in special effects.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Kagur, your post implies that you have been working on these effects yourself and so I assumed you were a modder. The .pk3 I posted isn't the finished effect but a tool to help make them possible. The menu is just to demonstrate what it does but you'll need to automate it along with whatever effects you've been constructing. So when you display a bright flash in your mod, you'd increase the dynamic range with the shader and adjust the threshold to make sure the flash doesn't also get darkened. I was going to add a colour tint too until I realised it may not be what you were after.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

Yes Pixel Eater, I'm indeed a modder (Not too sophisticated on shaders and complex ACS scripting mind you). I'm always using an older version of Gzdoom to keep track with Zandronum so that those special effects can be played on both multiplayer and single player. Sorry I didn't mention that in my OP.

It would be great if you could provide the color tint specially if its one thats sophisticated enough to allow more than one color (I was going to try getting this effect by giving every human controlled actor a vision powerup in which they could see the desired color everywhere, but that option was far too rudimentary because there really isn't much choice in what selection of colors and how many you can get from those in built powerups). One of the biggest issues I have with Zdoom is color manipulation via the engine. Everything I have done so far, involve sprites and the translation functions haven't matured beyond zdoom room building or simple color swaps.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Kagur, I think I see the problem. I don't think Zandronum or compatible GZDooms support this kind of shader. See this post for a better explanation than I can give. I'm happy to add the tint when I next can though, if it still helps.

Return to “General”