Can't get GZDoom to compile and run (Windows 10)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
RockstarRaccoon

Can't get GZDoom to compile and run (Windows 10)

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

So, I spent a good chunk of yesterday trying to get the latest release version of GZDoom (3.3.2) to compile from the source on the website. After pouring through the several conflicting documents on how to do so, and even getting help from Rachael herself, I have not managed to build an executable which will actually run. The compilation is unstable and often messes up, and even when it doesn't, the .exe it pops out does not work.

When I attempt to build a debug version, nothing happens when I attempt to run it from the directory, and I get this error when I try to run from VisualStudio's button...
https://s6.postimg.cc/gieeyuvtt/Error.png
"Unable to start program Debug/ALLBUILD"

When I attempt to build a release version, I get the same error when trying to run from VisualStudio, but get this when I try to run it from the directory...
https://s6.postimg.cc/b6zie521d/Crash.png
"Not in a Level"

Does anyone know what I'm missing here?

I'm using VisualStudio 2017 on a relatively new computer, following the CMAKE instructions for that. I know it's the .exe and nothing else because when I drop the one from my actual GZDoom folder in there it works fine.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Can't get GZDoom to compile and run (Windows 10)

Post by drfrag »

First you only need to run the exe from within VS if you want to debug it, with CodeBlocks i can select which target to run/debug from a drop down list. And yes the all target is not configured there either. To debug the target ALL_BUILD in VS you can do what _mental_ said or you can right click on the zdoom target in the right pane to debug zdoom.
_mental_ wrote:To solve this everything you need to do is to set path to executable as debugging command for ALL_BUILD.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kcw4dzyf.aspx

Either compiles or not but i wonder if that code is good. Where was version 3.3.2 released? I could not find it in the repo. You can download the code from that branch @GitHub. But why 3.3.2?
RockstarRaccoon

Thanks, I'll try that.

I got it from here: https://zdoom.org/downloads

Edit: It runs now, with this error

Code: Select all

Exception thrown: write access violation.
strrchr(...) returned nullptr.
If I push the debugger through that, I can get into the game, but there are problems related to string recognition.
Last edited by RockstarRaccoon on Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:The compilation is unstable and often messes up, and even when it doesn't, the .exe it pops out does not work.
Without exact error messages this information is absolutely useless. It works for me just like it works for other devs.
To run from Visual Studio you need to either set debugging command for ALL_BUILD target (path to executable) or use zdoom as startup project.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:Edit: It runs now, with this error

Post complete callstack please.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:If I push the debugger through that, I can get into the game, but there are problems related to string recognition.
What does ‘string recognition’ mean?
Last edited by _mental_ on Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockstarRaccoon

_mental_ wrote:Without exact error messages this information is absolutely useless.
Go look at my posts again. They all contain details and even a pair of screenshots of the error messages.

Rachael thought it was either an undocumented step or an unlisted dependency.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
_mental_ wrote:Without exact error messages this information is absolutely useless.
Go look at my posts again. They all contain details and even a pair of screenshots of the error messages.

Rachael thought it was either an undocumented step or an unlisted dependency.
None of those are compilation errors. But you said that compilation is unstable and/or messed up.
RockstarRaccoon

_mental_ wrote:Post complete callstack please.

gzdoom.exe!DoMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance) Line 947	C++
 	gzdoom.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * nothing, char * cmdline, int nCmdShow) Line 1357	C++
RockstarRaccoon

_mental_ wrote:None of those are compilation errors. But you said that compilation is unstable and/or messed up.
I'd have to go back and recreate whatever the issue was, and we couldn't figure out what it was at the time. I can't find them in my logs either, sorry.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But is that source package actually verified?
You could try a different package, delete the folder with the source and re-run CMake from scratch.
This one from g3.3maint:
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/arc ... 3maint.zip
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
_mental_ wrote:Post complete callstack please.

gzdoom.exe!DoMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance) Line 947	C++
 	gzdoom.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * nothing, char * cmdline, int nCmdShow) Line 1357	C++
Weird, this should not happen according to Microsoft docs. What’s the exact version of Windows 10 (build number, edition, bitness)? Are you building 32- or 64-bit GZDoom executable?
RockstarRaccoon

_mental_ wrote:Weird, this should not happen according to Microsoft docs. What’s the exact version of Windows 10 (build number, edition, bitness)? Are you building 32- or 64-bit GZDoom executable?
I've tried both with the same results, though it seems to only want to build the Win32 executable, so I'm not sure if I've ever actually tried the 64 bit one.

Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
ver 1709
OS Build 16299.431

drfrag wrote:But is that source package actually verified?
You could try a different package, delete the folder with the source and re-run CMake from scratch.
This one from g3.3maint:
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/arc ... 3maint.zip
Trying that now, thanks.
RockstarRaccoon

'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\dejui\Desktop\GZDoomDev\build\Debug\gzdoom.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wsock32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\opengl32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll'
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\win32u.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32full.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp_win.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.16299.431_none_5d750ac5a7e1c779\comctl32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\glu32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\windows.storage.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\profapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\riched20.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msls31.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'gzdoom.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
**strrchr**(...) returned nullptr.

>	gzdoom.exe!DoMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance) Line 947	C++
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Must be a bad installation of VS then? Which Windows SDK?
RockstarRaccoon

drfrag wrote:Must be a bad installation of VS then? Which Windows SDK?
I'm just going to re-install the latest SDK, make sure it's done right. I already tried reinstalling VS, so it should be correct.

Edit: Just tried it again, same problem. Where would I look to check the specific versions of these things though?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Where does it crash? Post a screenshot of the actual code where it happens in the debugger with some local variables visible. But I have the feeling this comes from some system DLL prematurely aborting the app. If you can, set a breakpoint on WinMain and try to see if it even gets there.

Return to “General”