Is there a way to Mod Doom from an IPad

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
DKat

Is there a way to Mod Doom from an IPad

Post by DKat »

OR do I just have to wait till my laptop is fixed?
RockstarRaccoon

Re: Is there a way to Mod Doom from an IPad

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Does this help, stranger who I don't know?
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... os-device/
It's not GZDoom, but it's supposed to have all the PRBoom features, so...
DKat

Post by DKat »

That just allow you to play them unless there is something in that thread I am not seeing Raccoon?????
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Unfortunately, a lot of the things that are kind of necessary to make mods for Doom are just not possible with the way Apple restricts app development; you'd need a lot of access to the iPad's file system, which as far as I've been told is a big no-no with Apple's App Store approval board. Your only hope is that someone's done it via jailbreaking, and that's such a niche that I'd be amazed if anybody's actually done that.
RockstarRaccoon

Yeah, you need an actual computer for this stuff. At the very least, you need a Linux computer that can run SLADE, though I'd say the best setup is a Windows computer with GZDoomBuilder. You might be able to use an iPad for drawing pixel art or typing pseudocode in the meantime, maybe trying to learn what exactly the engine can fo and how to do it, but yeah, iPads have never been development machines. That's part of why they don't require much maintenance.
DKat

Post by DKat »

I just found IDOS 2 and it uses Free Dos. Are there any wad editors for that?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DKat wrote:I just found IDOS 2 and it uses Free Dos. Are there any wad editors for that?
A lot, actually, but be aware they are very old and may not be very intuitive.
RockstarRaccoon

You in particular might also be interested in this...
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Omgifol
Since you have also mentioned wanting to program something in Python, you might want to look into what has and hasn't been done with it.

Remember that, whatever you use, you should probably use something with UDMF compatibility, as that is the only way to be sure that you can utilize GZDoom's features.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Remember that, whatever you use, you should probably use something with UDMF compatibility, as that is the only way to be sure that you can utilize GZDoom's features.
No, that's not right. UDMF is just a map format. Sure it adds a lot of nice things and makes some things easier, but it's perfectly possible to make excellent maps in Hexen or Doom format. Besides, none of the other major engine systems care what map format is used, since it all gets converted to UDMF internally when the game runs.

8-)
RockstarRaccoon

Caligari87 wrote:since it all gets converted to UDMF internally when the game runs.
Well, TECHNICALLY it's converted into a series of internal structures, which UDMF is simply defining the contents of, but sure.

I'm just warning him that the majority of really cool GZDoom features are hard to access in non-UDMF formats, especially on outdated editors, simply because UDMF allows the user to fill fields without that the editor knowing what they are. (I used GZDB and SLADE to create the testmaps for that feature I added the other day) I mean, that was literally one of the main reasons why UDMF was created the way it was.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Caligari87 wrote: No, that's not right. UDMF is just a map format. Sure it adds a lot of nice things and makes some things easier, but it's perfectly possible to make excellent maps in Hexen or Doom format. Besides, none of the other major engine systems care what map format is used, since it all gets converted to UDMF internally when the game runs.

Posts like this which mix facts with conjecture are not really helpful. Yes, surely it is still possible to map in Doom or Hexen format. Surely, internally all maps will be converted to the same internal data structures (and that's also surely not UDMF! :P) but at the end of the day this will be a dead end for anyone interested in modding for modern GZDoom. Far too many features are only accessible indirectly, and others not accessible at all. Even giving the IMPRESSION that people can safely start with legacy map formats and expect to use the full power of the engine may cause some inexperienced modders to go the wrong route.

These days with UDMF mapping support being nearly ubiquitous, new feartures aren't even being reviewed anymore for Hexen map format compatibility, because there's no good means to express them anyway.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Really though this just leaves the OP back at square one, since nobody has made a map editor that supports UDMF for the iPad.
RockstarRaccoon

........Yeah, that sounds about right, seeing as DOS hadn't been around for over a decade when UDMF was first proposed. Nevermind the UDMF thing, Boom or Hexen format editors are probably better bets here, though really at that point it doesn't matter because you might as well just focus on practicing geometry until you get something that can run SLADE...
RockstarRaccoon

DKat wrote:I just found IDOS 2 and it uses Free Dos. Are there any wad editors for that?
Ok dude, you need to start looking things up for yourself, because I just stumbled across a DOS map editor for ZDoom on the Downloads Page.

Return to “Mapping”