[split] Doom Movie Stuff

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[split] Doom Movie Stuff

Postby Bigger C » Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pm

I feel like an outsider in the Zdoom community.
Bigger C
Banned User

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Postby Rachael » Sat May 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Bigger C wrote:I feel like an outsider in the Zdoom community.

I have read up on the drama that led up to this post, and I am sorry but I am going to be very blunt here.

Isn't it funny how people are so quick to cry foul with some SJW agenda/conspiracy over a fucking movie that may or may not even LOOSELY be based on the plot of Doom?

"SJW's ruined Star Wars. SJW's ruined Ghostbusters. SJW's ruined Doom." Get over it. Even IF these major developers are paying lip service to marginalized groups - so what? It's really hurting you that bad to see a female or a black person or a gay person? If so - get the fuck out of my sight. Such people will exist, continue to exist, and are not disappearing anytime soon, certainly not to make you feel more "comfortable."

Keep in mind, I am not advocating that every game/movie/everything else *must* have women, minorities, etc, but from my perspective these media are being greatly enhanced by their additional presence - and the fact that it's causing controversy is nothing but a good thing. It gets the conversation about these very important issues going - but unfortunately, clinging to the past isn't going to help you. You have to confront these issues head on, not try to dictate to everyone else that everything that has had a traditionally white male lead role must continue to do so.

Do I think the new Ghostbusters movie is the best ever? No - I have not even seen it, but from what I understand, it wasn't the female actors that ruined it - if anything, it may have been poor writing, really, not the actors themselves.

The ultimate irony is, people are constantly accusing liberals and SJW's of being "special snowflakes" constantly needing a safe space. Yet, when stuff like this happens, these supposed "anti-SJW's" are the ones crying the loudest - melting the quickest - and more desperately needing the same safe spaces that they like to make fun of "the other side" for needing. So easily offended, yet they like to taunt the other side for being exactly that. And that's fucking pathetic.

The only thing SJW's have destroyed is your ability to be a complete tool while still being able to fit in. I guess some folks are too weak and pathetic to even try being decent and rational human beings - I guess somehow, having dignity and respect now takes actual strength and courage.

Diversity is a great thing - try it. In the end, you might actually like it.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Bigger C » Sun May 06, 2018 2:10 am

Who said I couldn't appreciate diversity? I just simply am tired of the apparent peer pressure to appreciate diversity and slog through controversy regardless of whether I enjoy the movie. For example, should I put the new Star Wars movies on a pedestal for their diversity when they also spawned the inexcusably greedy Star Wars Battlefront II

The problem with green eggs and ham in this case isn't that it's green eggs and ham but that we keep getting chefs that can't always cook.

(Conversely I'm looking forward to a biopic about Bass Reeves.)

That much said, we're getting off my point. I had felt out of place in the community well before this, you know.

I mean, how many times do you think I can stand to see other community icons here be involved in public shitfits before my will to participate, maybe even learn scripting, evaporates? Like every time Graf has a bad day? And I feel even LESS comfortable over at, say, Doomworld, due to some people that have (thankfully) since been kicked off the Freedoom project.

EDIT: I do apologize for disrupting the peace on the Discord, at least.
Last edited by Bigger C on Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigger C
Banned User

Postby Rachael » Sun May 06, 2018 2:23 am

Bigger C wrote:I just simply am tired of the apparent peer pressure to appreciate diversity and slog through controversy regardless of whether I enjoy the movie.

So you blame the victim then, rather than the perpetrators who have made this shit necessary in the first place? Do you have ANY idea what you are saying here?

This is like when rape occurs - and we blame the girl for wearing too skimpy a dress. Or when a minority gets shot by a cop - just for being a minority. Hey - if you ever get shot by a police officer, I guess we can just say it was your fault for not being white enough.

I suggest you take a good long look at the statement I quoted here - because if you really do believe in virtue, you're throwing blame in the wrong place.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Bigger C » Sun May 06, 2018 2:27 am

I'm not blaming them, just getting tired of being told I should feel a sense of accomplishment for acts that give me no such feeling.

I get the feeling nothing I say short of acknowledging your argument is going to make you happy with me, though, as I think we have incompatible ideas on empathy.
Last edited by Bigger C on Sun May 06, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigger C
Banned User

Postby Rachael » Sun May 06, 2018 2:30 am

Bigger C wrote:I'm not blaming them, just getting tired of being told I should feel a sense of accomplishment for acts that give me no such feeling.

I don't understand this. Who is telling you that you need to feel accomplishment? And for what?
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Bigger C » Sun May 06, 2018 2:34 am

Well for starters you saying this diversity stuff is necessary implies to me that I should be thankful for these things even if they don't bring me joy.

At any rate, I need to get ready for work.
Bigger C
Banned User

Postby Rachael » Sun May 06, 2018 2:38 am

Bigger C wrote:Well for starters you saying this diversity stuff is necessary implies to me that I should be thankful for these things even if they don't bring me joy.

That sounds like a personal problem, to me, then.

If you don't like the new Doom movie because it has a female protagonist, that's fine, you don't have to watch it. But don't get your panties all up in a bunch when people call you out for having a stupid opinion on a silly issue. Because it's a stupid opinion on a silly issue, and the Doom story-line does not dictate that every Doom marine must be male. Chances are pretty good the female protagonist is not even the same person as the original Doom guy - and even if she is, it's an artistic liberty and it's certainly not the first time something like this has ever happened. (Little hint: It's been happening for more than a century now) - bear in mind, Doom (2005) took a LOT of artistic liberties even without changing the protagonist's gender.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Bigger C » Sun May 06, 2018 2:40 am

I would mind it if it had a female protagonist and was a bad movie because I'd chalk it up as a cheap attempt to make more money. If it's actually good, I'll consider it.

At any rate you're not responding to what I said about community drama reducing my desire to participate in coding and mapping here.
Bigger C
Banned User

Postby Shadelight » Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 am

Bigger C wrote:At any rate you're not responding to what I said about community drama reducing my desire to participate in coding and mapping here.

You mean the drama you decided to start?
Shadelight
You must construct additional lumber.

Discord: Shadelight#4920

Postby Rachael » Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 am

Bigger C wrote:I would mind it if it had a female protagonist and was a bad movie because I'd chalk it up as a cheap attempt to make more money.

That's exactly what it is. And I do not see an issue with this. How good the movie actually is rests solely on its writing and performance, not whether the protagonist is a woman or how cheap these marketing tricks are.

Bigger C wrote:At any rate you're not responding to what I said about community drama reducing my desire to participate in coding and mapping here.

The drama is coming from you. But if you don't want to participate, it's fine. Just don't get angry again when we tell you we're not deleting your second account. Because we won't.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Bigger C » Sun May 06, 2018 2:52 am

Do you have to get snarky and drag up old shit from my previous account? That's the sort of attitude that drove me off in the first place.
Bigger C
Banned User

Postby Rachael » Sun May 06, 2018 2:57 am

What I am seeing from you right now is "don't you dare tell me about myself or I'll leave." You should already know first-hand how I deal with threats.

If you want me to back off, then stop treating me like I am required to give you special treatment. You are getting the same treatment as anyone else in your shoes, who has said the same things as you have. And when you come on hard with certain things like the SJW/Doom movie issue, you aren't going to get kid gloves from me, sorry.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Lud » Sun May 06, 2018 4:10 am

I love me some Hall-worthy drama.

Wait... This isn't the Hall!

@Big C: I hope The Biggest C would actually know when to quit. First-hand experience advice: just drop it. Right now you're shooting yourself in the foot. Repeatedly. With a large caliber projectile.
Lud

Postby Captain J » Sun May 06, 2018 6:06 am

To ease the pain with strawberry on top, just don't talk about it more and relax. Too many things are happening on the internet, obviously and it's wise to stay away from them and take a break for a while.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Next

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness