LILA-DOOM - A gameplay mod for GZDoom (latest stable)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lila Feuer

LILA-DOOM - A gameplay mod for GZDoom (latest stable)

Post by Lila Feuer »

QUICK NOTE TO PREVIOUS PLAYERS: If you've downloaded/played this mod before as CYAN-DOOM or a little earlier as DOOM PLUS, AND had made a video for it or something it is the SAME mod, just renamed (again) and UPDATED! So update your copy today!
LILA-DOOM
"Just like the good ol' days."
bzPFRX4.png
bzPFRX4.png (14.5 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
RECOMMENDATIONS:

If your display is washed out adjust the gamma level where necessary so that dark areas are just barely visible, prompting use of the flashlight.

Play with the PSX/Doom 64 soundtrack for a better atmosphere. Otherwise any dark ambient stuff will do e.g. Quake, F.E.A.R. etc.

Spectres rendered using Fuzz paired with Pixel Fuzz for that classic Spectre look (and to make them harder to see in dark areas).

INTRODUCTION:

LILA-DOOM is a personal gameplay modification that I'd been putting together since 2016, originally starting out as a very simple randomizer that only added a few new monsters, as I was often guilty of overdoing things and adding way too much stuff. Then I decided I wanted some new weapons to compliment this, and set out to do something akin to 'Skulltag Stuff', in essence a handful of new monsters, weapons, and pickups, while staying themed and true to the Doom formula. Inspiration struck, and I found myself wanting more, while at the same time still wanting less than the usual randomizer mod. The theme eventually struck: it's PC Doom but Alpha content mixed with console Doom (PSX and Doom 64), with some personal twists and notably increased difficulty while still being balanced. Here's that finalized vision, a sorta neo-classical Doom experience that I enjoy as an alternative to the base game, for PWADs that either don't come with new content besides levels or just don't depend on ACS, while staying true to that core Doom experience. In effect, a natural extension of the original game. If id endorsed a Quake styled 'mission pack' then it might of been something like this. But in order to separate myself from other me-too randomizers I also opt to feature some new ideas using familiar content in order to inspire others and be less predictable in my execution. Hopefully I've succeeded!

FEATURES IN LILA-DOOM:

Toggle-able flashlight the player always has that renders the old light amp redundant, but at the cost of being able to see everything fully lit, preserving level atmosphere and increasing tension.

Brightmaps across the board for the majority of things, further enhanced by glow maps on light source and liquid flats to provide Doom 64 style lighting to many areas. Enhanced light source objects like torches, candles, columns and tech pillars from Beautiful Doom.

Correct blood colors for several monsters, or no blood at all for certain ones, better blood spray and blood effects, like improved decals, while staying reasonable (minimal gibbing).

Several new graphic replacements and additions, mostly subtle. Several pickups, notably health and ammo, with mostly unused id graphics. The Imp's original fireball. New liquid flats for water, nukage and lava, new skies for Doom 1 and 2 scenarios. Super Shotgun from PSX Final Doom, green firing Plasma Rifle. A couple new decorative objects, 'Bloody Chain' from PSX and 'Hell Growth' from id.

New font and HUD from PSX and Doom 64, including the alternative death face from getting XDEATH'd while using the STATBAR.

New PLAYPAL based on Sigvatr's Pal Plus, with personal changes to the red, green and blue ranges. The overall tone is notably darker and more at home with PSX and Doom 64.

New sounds for new enemies, pickups and the environment from PSX and Doom 64.

Swapped bullet and cell minimum and maximum capacities, you now have more bullets to work with but less cells to hoard away. This is something that always bugged me and as such I've done something about it.

Many new monsters, several new weapons and pickups, and a couple new hazards, documented in the featured manual!

(Happy 24th 25th birthday Doom!) E: Yeah I know, I missed re-releasing this last year but thought I'd update this (even though it'll be 26 in like 2 months :P).

MOD DOWNLOAD (SMALL! 5.3 megs)
MUSIC DOWNLOAD (BIG! 231 megs)

SCREENSHOTS (Taken with default gamma setting):

https://i.imgur.com/L0pzSgw.png
https://i.imgur.com/1XYXQmz.png
https://i.imgur.com/k4V0EzB.png
https://i.imgur.com/KS1sTlR.png
https://i.imgur.com/LmWKjBr.png
https://i.imgur.com/kLjQkSw.png
https://i.imgur.com/eLCLIJW.png
https://i.imgur.com/ueYrxi7.png
https://i.imgur.com/8TiyjX1.png
https://i.imgur.com/1odNi2K.png
https://i.imgur.com/K2EogdA.png
https://i.imgur.com/Om1r8ae.png
Last edited by Lila Feuer on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Lila Feuer

Re: DOOM PLUS - A gameplay mod for GZDoom (latest stable)

Post by Lila Feuer »

OK that's weird, when I tried to edit my original post it claimed a mod had to approve, then it told me the thread no longer existed, and I was at 0 posts. I go to re-create the thread and suddenly it's back, with the edits made, on page 2. Anyway, I've decided to put together a 'PlusMusic' WAD as an optional download (108mb) that adds both the PSX and Doom 64 soundtracks (originals, not the remastered/anniversary). The PSX music plays in Doom 1 games whereas the D64 music only plays in Doom 2 games. Edited OP and updated the credits to reflect this addition.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

cyan0s1s wrote:OK that's weird, when I tried to edit my original post it claimed a mod had to approve, then it told me the thread no longer existed, and I was at 0 posts. I go to re-create the thread and suddenly it's back, with the edits made, on page 2.
Must be some weirdness with how the approval system handles post-editing. Now that you've had 3 posts approved, though, that shouldn't be a problem anymore, I'd think...
Lila Feuer

Post by Lila Feuer »

Based on feedback from a friend and Doomworld, I increased the Rifle's rate of fire. It is slightly faster than the Pistol but much less so than the Chaingun and Minigun. The muzzle flash was also improved, and the damage slightly reduced (1-8 instead of 1-10) to balance out the improved rate of fire. It's perfectly accurate still if you tap it, but will lose accuracy when held down.

The Zombieman was modified to now fire in two-round bursts instead of being a very mild harasser/very slow chaingunner type like before, with the damage reduction applied to him.

The Minigun's spread was also increased to be less effective at long distances, but in your favor it could be more effective at suppressing more than one enemy if they're right next to each other in close quarters.

The download, along with the manual and credits are updated.
Lila Feuer

Post by Lila Feuer »

Per another request, the Minigun's admittedly long tic rates on its cooldown recovery were adjusted so that it doesn't take nearly as long as it did before. This could cause problems for the player that fires it, then wants to switch weapons. The Psychic Soul was also improved, with its correct pain frames restored and leaving a corpse behind when it dies (thankfully, they cannot be resurrected by Arch-viles).
Lila Feuer

Re: CYAN-DOOM - A gameplay mod for GZDoom (latest stable)

Post by Lila Feuer »

So the download has been updated and the mod has been re-named to Cyan-Doom (originally called Doom Plus) so it stands out a little more (and is not confused with Doom+ which is something else entirely). The brightmaps were replaced with NightFright's improved set (but Revenant100's sprite fixes are not implemented because they caused issues, especially in Doom 1 games) which in effect fixed a minor visual issue with SLADRIP that was seen in Doom 1 games. SpriteShadow was removed for possible performance concerns (and it was also outdated with a known issue of its own) and cosmetic reasons (wasn't feeling it anymore, and may not be up to everyone's tastes). The subtle Pinky demon and Baron of Hell graphics were also removed (not compatible with the new brightmaps anyway). Nevander's Blood Fixer also replaces the old BloodColors.wad inside the PK3. The only actual gameplay change was making the Zombieman fire in 3-round bursts instead of 2-round bursts. Otherwise it shouldn't be too jarring for previous owners of the mod to upgrade to it. Happy Dooming!
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Despite Vanilla-styled mods not really being my thing, this mod is extremely good. The combination of atmospheric addons/mods really adds to the experience, and the new monsters fit in well, and of course give me distinct Doom 64 vibes. If it wouldn't take too much effort, would you considering making a no weapons/items version of this mod for the sake of playing with weapon mods? A version that just has the atmospheric additions, monsters, etcetera could be great!
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

Oh this just brings me back, like WAY back. Little 4 year old me sitting there, playing Nightmare (or it's equivalent) on PSX Doom and... Pretty much being scared the whole fucking time. Actually explains a lot now that I think about it. Then 6 year old me playing Doom 64, still scared shitless.....

Anyways, that's all besides the point. This mod is amazing and everything just fits SO WELL together, that I actually will go back to this over any TC that attempts to recreate that feeling, because this just takes the cake. You did an amazing job, had a great choice of skies that an atmosphere mod like this needed, and made a great choice of which music set to put with each IWAD. You have done so much amazingness in this single mod and I do think that it will only get better over time. Keep this up!

(Also: Imma check to see if Dark Doom Z works with this and report back)

EDIT: It seems to work just fine and adds to the atmosphere by a slight degree!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Really liking the custom palette here. Definitely reminds me of Doom 64 and PSX Doom mixed together. However, there's some problems i've found;

- Rifle Zombie is nasty. Just, Nasty. His shot deals rather powerful damage and fires repeatedly like the chaingunners.

- Since Rifle acts the same as Pistol, why can't we start the game with just having a rifle? My thought here.

- Seems like Chainsaw's of this mod doesn't spawn properly. The only weapon i get in said replacement is Vanilla Chainsaw.

And speaking of Chainsaw, i have to cool down when the overheat meter, i guess? Goes 100. But the thing is i can't deselect this thing and i have it wait.

- I see you made the Railgun slower. But reloading after firing only once sounds dangerous.

And that's it. Looks promising there!
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SoulCircle »

Captain J wrote: - Seems like Chainsaw's of this mod doesn't spawn properly. The only weapon i get in said replacement is Vanilla Chainsaw.
To add onto Captain J's post here, I have gotten the new chainsaw to spawn, but only in Doom 1, it doesn't in Doom 2.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Also one more thing! Not sure i can get a Grenade Launcher during gameplay, but grenade projectile disappears when lands on the watery terrains.
Lila Feuer

Post by Lila Feuer »

Samarai1000 wrote:Despite Vanilla-styled mods not really being my thing, this mod is extremely good. The combination of atmospheric addons/mods really adds to the experience, and the new monsters fit in well, and of course give me distinct Doom 64 vibes. If it wouldn't take too much effort, would you considering making a no weapons/items version of this mod for the sake of playing with weapon mods? A version that just has the atmospheric additions, monsters, etcetera could be great!
Hey thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it! Yeah that sounds doable, I could get around to that for the very purposes you stated, as a little flexibility wouldn't hurt for those who enjoy the atmosphere.
SoulCircle wrote:This mod is amazing and everything just fits SO WELL together, that I actually will go back to this over any TC that attempts to recreate that feeling, because this just takes the cake. You did an amazing job, had a great choice of skies that an atmosphere mod like this needed, and made a great choice of which music set to put with each IWAD. You have done so much amazingness in this single mod and I do think that it will only get better over time. Keep this up!
Thanks very much for your feedback, I do appreciate it! I don't think there will be any significant content updates in the future, as what's there now is pretty much feature complete as I intended it. But there could be some more small, subtle, non-gameplay affecting improvements (like make xdeaths more visceral to compliment the new blood spray and fix the water flat cause it looks cut off at the edges).
Captain J wrote:- Rifle Zombie is nasty. Just, Nasty. His shot deals rather powerful damage and fires repeatedly like the chaingunners.

- Since Rifle acts the same as Pistol, why can't we start the game with just having a rifle? My thought here.

- Seems like Chainsaw's of this mod doesn't spawn properly. The only weapon i get in said replacement is Vanilla Chainsaw.

And speaking of Chainsaw, i have to cool down when the overheat meter, i guess? Goes 100. But the thing is i can't deselect this thing and i have it wait.

- I see you made the Railgun slower. But reloading after firing only once sounds dangerous.
Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, the Zombieman does 'console' bullet damage (1-8 vs. 1-5) as he did in PSX and D64, but this is further complimented by the Rifle he carries. He fires in three-round bursts, but depending on how much they start and stop in between movement they can seem to be automatic, but they're slower. The rifle as such is slightly more powerful than the pistol, is perfectly accurate when tapped which removes the need to chaingun tap, and has speed on par with the D64 handgun. It's purpose as such presenting a nice little upgrade to slot 2, just like the SSG did for the shotgun, as well as the other new weapons. You just have to find a Zombieman to get his weapon, however, which could vary depending on his availability in a map.

New weapon spawns have about a 25% chance of spawning in place of the original ones, it's really up to randomization here as to whether or not you'll get improved firepower during an episode or all the weapons throughout a Doom II game. Unmaker appearance spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yes the Super Chainsaw, despite being faster and not suffering from the 'lock-on weakness' of the original, isn't exactly a stable weapon. While it can cut down most foes with ease, even tougher ones, you have to gauge the heat. The recovery time before used to be longer, but even now it's something to take into consideration if you aren't careful.

The Railgun ala Skulltag's would fire one shot after another four times rapidly, which I think makes the weapon too powerful. Even now it's still a railgun, with a defined purpose, and performs similarly to the Quake II weapon as a result.
SoulCircle wrote:
Captain J wrote: - Seems like Chainsaw's of this mod doesn't spawn properly. The only weapon i get in said replacement is Vanilla Chainsaw.
To add onto Captain J's post here, I have gotten the new chainsaw to spawn, but only in Doom 1, it doesn't in Doom 2.
It will spawn in any Doom game, it just depends on the amount of chainsaws or rocket launcher placements available in an episode or 32-level game, which goes for any weapon with a new variant.
Captain J wrote:Also one more thing! Not sure i can get a Grenade Launcher during gameplay, but grenade projectile disappears when lands on the watery terrains.
Yes, that's default behavior, I thought it would be weird for the grenade to bounce off liquid flats without a splash, and think it's something to take into consideration so you don't haphazardly launch grenades least you waste them anyway.
Lila Feuer

Post by Lila Feuer »

<>
Last edited by Lila Feuer on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

This is kind of a weird little nitpick, but the blood sound when shooting things sounds a bit weird. It doesn't really fit the feel of shooting them.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Personally, i'd make the palette a bit lighter, it's really too dark, almost to the point that you have to raise the gamma in order to see what's happening.
Other than that, looks nice

Return to “Gameplay Mods”