GZGoldsrc Mod (WIP)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiMpLeToNiUm

GZGoldsrc Mod (WIP)

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

PATCH NOTES:
5.5.18 @ 01:33 - Fixed an anonymous function that had no semicolons.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dropbox link

I know it's been done countless times, but I want to do this better. I want to attempt to throw as many Goldsrc (the game engine for most early Valve games like Half-Life, Counter-Strike 1.6, Team Fortress Classic) features into the GZDoom engine as possible.

As you can probably guess, I love the Half-Life engine games, and I'd like to recreate them in my other favorite game: DOOM!!

Above is the link to the WAD-in-Progress. This is where you will find updates. Let me know what you think; please dissect it and let me know if there's anything you think should function differently.

Remember, the goal here is to make the behavior as similar as possible to Goldsrc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A short little demo of what to expect:

GZGoldsrc on MAP02: Underhalls

Features planned for implementation:
Spoiler:
Currently implemented features:
Spoiler:
There's probably some I missed. Play it for yourself and get back to me with your feedback! :D

*IMPORTANT* Also, let me know if including this volume of resources from these games, especially unaltered music, is a breach of copyright.
I like to think it isn't, as I believe I've provided sufficient credit and documentation and am not gaining profit from this, but I'd like to not walk that fine line.
Last edited by SiMpLeToNiUm on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GZGoldsrc Mod (WIP)

Post by wildweasel »

hatakethecopyninja wrote:*IMPORTANT* Also, let me know if including this volume of resources from these games, especially unaltered music, is a breach of copyright.
I like to think it isn't, as I believe I've provided sufficient credit and documentation and am not gaining profit from this, but I'd like to not walk that fine line.
Unfortunately, that's not how copyright law works. I mean, I personally would tolerate it, but you'd want to be really careful that you don't draw the ire of anybody that particularly enjoys filing takedown notices.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

wildweasel wrote:but you'd want to be really careful that you don't draw the ire of anybody that particularly enjoys filing takedown notices.
I'm in the process of contacting Valve's legal team to obtain rights. If they greenlight it (no pun intended), we're golden, but if not, I'll take it down immediately. Removing link for now.
Gideon020

Re: GZGoldsrc Mod (WIP) - Link Removed for Now

Post by Gideon020 »

Hahaha, yeah, I doubt this is gonna see the light of day now.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Mailed Valve's Legal Department yesterday. Give it a few days, and we'll all know.
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about this mod, i don't remember Valve being as harsh as Nintendo.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

el armadillo2 wrote:I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about this mod, i don't remember Valve being as harsh as Nintendo.
I just wanted to be on the safe side. Think about how cool a personal response from them would be, though. It's like having the Pope's blessing to Crusade!
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

I think a month is plenty of time to figure out if Valve is yay or nay on this. They haven't responded to me either way, so I assume it just isn't important enough for them to consider. I'm gonna go ahead with the mod.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Valve, to my knowledge, seems to steer towards accepting, as long as there's no price for admission.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”