Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tekish

Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

Post by Tekish »

These add-ons provide a customizable way of displaying in-game information on top of your existing HUD. Here's an old video showing off some of the options:

AmmoInfo
Updated February 3, 2024 | View Changelog
(Requires GZDoom 3.6 or newer)

Displays a list containing the current ammo counts of your weapons. It's best used with gameplay mods that don't already reveal this information. You can personalize abbreviations, alignment, colorization, opacity, and positioning. It also works with base Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.

CrosshairHP
Updated January 14, 2024 | View Changelog

Shows a small health bar below the crosshair when you aim at something that can be damaged. You can swap health percentages with totals, target objects in addition to monsters, display enemy names, change the opacity, and move the add-on to a location of your choosing.

HitMarkers

Hit and kill markers will display as enemies take damage from the player. Included are a variety of impact sounds from several popular shooters. Visuals can also be toggled off, allowing this to function as an audio-only add-on. Other options include style tweaks, color switching, volume controls, fade out timing, and individual hit/kill sound effects.

LevelInfo

Takes level data like kills, items, and secrets and displays it on-screen. Options include the ability to show map times, power-up durations, hazards, and remaining oxygen. Text alignment, opacity, and positioning settings are also available.

PlayerInfo

Visualizes your health, armor, keys, and held weapon ammunition. This can be abbreviated, aligned, positioned, and colorized to suit your preferences. Collected keys are rendered separately but can be similarly customized.

All-in-one
You can download the latest versions of all the add-ons in a single file here. Requires GZDoom 3.6 or newer.

Mod Compatibility
Spoiler: AmmoInfo and LevelInfo have been customized for use with the following mods
Thanks to
Jimmy for his Jimmyfonts! pack, from which the MemenTwo font is used as a base.
Last edited by Tekish on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:37 am, edited 123 times in total.
SoulCircle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Simple UI Add-ons [Ammo List, Crosshair HP, Level Info]

Post by SoulCircle »

These are both absolutely amazing! Keep up the great work!
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Any chance you can add AmmoInfo support for D4T: Death Foretold? DBThanatos and the others have been so busy with Quake Champions: Doom Edition that they haven't had time to properly add reserve ammo counters, despite my suggestions. The Ammo Types in question are as follows: Shells (Orange), Bullets (Yellow), Rockets (Red), Cells (Cyan), and Slugs (White). Chainsaw Fuel (Dark Orange/Brown) and BFG Cells (Green) are already shown on D4T's HUD, so you need not worry about those two...
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

SoulCircle wrote:These are both absolutely amazing! Keep up the great work!
Thanks!
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Any chance you can add AmmoInfo support for D4T: Death Foretold?
Added.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

I will definaly get the HP Readout. the one i use target non-enemys and can get kinda bad in some maps. :)

Edit:Yup its definaly better then the older one. but it is posible so scale the hp bar without haveing to change resolution? its fine right now but others way need it.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

kadu522 wrote:it is posible so scale the hp bar without haveing to change resolution? its fine right now but others way need it.
It renders as small as it can given the resolution. If someone wants it bigger than that, I just added an option to increase the size a bit. I guess this could be useful for people who play Doom in 4K, if they actually exist.

I also made some other changes to all of the add-ons, which are noted in the changelogs in the first post.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Good work, especially from a visual point of view. Clear design!
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Tormentor667 wrote:Good work, especially from a visual point of view. Clear design!
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I made some small changes to the mods (for minor aesthetic issues), and this will probably be the last of them unless something breaks, someone suggests something, or there are mod compatibility requests.
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I've been experiencing quite a performance hit whenever I load all three of these minimods together on Delta Touch, and I think I know as to why: The minimods, as they are, have to pull a bunch of images together from the font folder to render each of their respective modules, which means slower read times as they render each individual character/number from a set of PNG files.

May I suggest compiling a .FON2 lump, with the entirety of your font inside it, to reduce the workload of the rendering engine?

That way, all characters, symbols, and numbera can all be loaded from a single file, as opposed to a massive amount of small PNG images.

ADDENDUM: I found a temporary solution to this issue; by jury-rigging all three minimods into one PK3, and pointing all of them to the CrosshairInfo font, my framerate's back in tip-top shape. I'm uploading the combined package in this post, as a proof-of-concept...

Contents Include...
AmmoInfo v1.03
CrosshairHP v1.02
LevelInfo v1.02
...no more, no less.

Credit goes to Tekish himself for all three minimods.
Attachments
TekishMods.pk3
All three minimods in one package; useful for Delta Touch.
(36.13 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I'm surprised that's causing a performance issue, as it doesn't change a thing in GZDoom. I converted all of the fonts to FON2 lumps, see if that helps.
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Marginal performance gains, but not quite as much as what I had posted. Perhaps you could try combining all three minimods into a single package like I did, and make it a separate download for those who want an all-in-one experience...
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Any chance of support for DoomZone v1.8.1 and Doom Incarnate in the next update?

In the case of DoomZone, Frag and Napalm Grenades are always shown, though the Special Ability Cooldown doesn't have a "timer" outside of a gauge. That, and there's quite a few player classes.

All Doom Incarnate needs is powerup timers for the Infrared Goggles (green), HEV Suit (green), Regeneration (red), Quad Damage (blue), and Battle Suit (orange).
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Regarding performance: HudMessage (which these add-ons use) is expensive. It's something I noticed early on, and if you use it to say, render the letter A over the entire screen and do nothing else, it will eat hundreds of frames on a modern gaming machine. The refresh rate, font used, opacity settings, fade timings, other code in general - none of these things have a substantial impact on its performance. The only things that do are the number of characters and to a much lesser extent, the size of them on screen (larger is more taxing).

It doesn't help that to get around HudMessage's inconsistent positioning options, I use invisible characters (which still hurts performance) to align and place various elements in AmmoInfo and LevelInfo. Because of this, I have updated AmmoInfo and LevelInfo with tweaks to use the bare minimum of invisible characters for proper alignment, which could potentially increase performance on older or weaker machines. This does come with a caveat: this only works if alignment is set to the right side of the screen. It takes far fewer hidden characters to align text on the right side than the left.

If you're still experiencing performance problems, remember that less is better. Use abbreviations, small custom position increments (or none at all), and align text to the right side of the screen. If none of these help, you're screwed until HudMessage is replaced with something better, I guess.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Any chance of support for DoomZone v1.8.1 and Doom Incarnate in the next update?
I'm heading out for the day so I'll look into these tomorrow. Though, if I recall, DoomZone has 100 weapons or something, which makes the manual entry of ammo types time consuming enough that I probably won't bother with it unless I get a hankering for some real tedium.

Also, I added a package with all of the add-ons included, for those who are into that sort of thing.
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Any chance of a standalone version of the font that is used in your addons, for those of us who want to use it for any projects, private or public?
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Any chance of a standalone version of the font that is used in your addons, for those of us who want to use it for any projects, private or public?
I'm not sure I understand the request. The font is a slightly modified version of MemenTwo, which you can download in this thread. If you're referring to my variant of it, you can just take the font lump and move it into other projects?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”