Hexen: Courtyard of Korax's Castle

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheSpartan94
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Hexen: Courtyard of Korax's Castle

Post by TheSpartan94 »

Hexen: Courtyard of Korax's Castle v1.1

New Hexen mod released! Complete, self-conclusive, short (around 30 minutes of game if you know exactly what to do).

The mod plays in a castle invaded by Korax and its minions. The characters will break through the gates of the first wall and the external garden, reaching the inside of the castle which can be further designed.
It features:

-Two brand new classes: the Vampire and the Marksmen.
-Alternative fire for some weapons
-New monsters
-New decorative objects
-New weapons
-A new complete hub to be played
-Retrocompatibility with software mode
-Support for deathmatch and cooperative

Download link:
https://andrewnetwork.ddns.net/files/he ... rtan94.pk3

Other images:
Spoiler:
Also check my youtube channel, where i uploaded a series of gameplay of this mod:

Elie(T)Zerg

Re: Hexen: Courtyard of Korax's Castle

Post by Elie(T)Zerg »

Wow, it really seems very great. New classes, weapons and enemy's; but why its so short? Well i guess you have your reasons.
I really wanna give it a try. But its the same music tracks? or are any differents? I say it beacuse i like to add a HQ music wads.
But anyway very cool classes.
TheSpartan94

Post by TheSpartan94 »

They are the same, sorry for late answer! I have very short time so sorry for it being little, but i'm considering continuing it further. Thank you for you support!
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Hi, just played this (as a vampire on normal difficulty) and would like to offer some constructive criticism. The overall level design is not bad, but unfortunately the gameplay is hindered by many small oversights and some bad mechanics. For one, the mechanic of slowing the player down when they reach >20 health is just flat out terrible. One of the joys of FPS games is managing to scrape by despite the odds being against you. This pretty much guarantees your destruction if it happens during any high-intensity combat. Second, the vampire's weapons are not very satisfying. His 3rd weapon can't even consistently one-shot an ettin, which is ridiculous. I didn't realize alt-fires were implemented until I reread your post after finishing the game, so maybe the alt-fires are better. But the primary fires are just too weak and unsatisfying. Third, the 3D models are a mixed bag. Some (like the catapults, trees, & barrels) fit in well with the world of Hexen. Others (like the corpses and boulders) clash terribly with Hexen's artstyle. Finally, there are a lot of little errors and odd design choices that hamper combat. For example, many places that it feels like the player should be able to go are flagged impassible. Here are some screenshots of just some of these issues I noticed:

https://i.imgur.com/tkDnSwY.png
Why put this reachable ledge here if you're just going to cockblock them at the end with an impassible flag? Also that little triangle is a visual bug. Something similar happened on the farm, where there's a pile of crates you're obviously meant to platform on, yet at the end you're met with absolutely nothing but a nonsensical impassible line.

https://i.imgur.com/qtGfkGA.png
These guys can infight with eachother. Not sure if intended.

https://i.imgur.com/wPBtr3F.png
Pressing use in this open doorway still results in the locked door message.

https://i.imgur.com/Rw6IKzf.png
It feels like you should be able to open this door since that's how the area was working up until then (pressing switches to open doors). Why put the door there if it has no purpose?
TheSpartan94

Post by TheSpartan94 »

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback and the time you spent on it. I found your criticism very true and punctual, I will probably fix something releasing a little patch, with new levels.

About the door, you just didn't find the switch on the balcony :)

Did you like the mod in large? How much would you rate it from 1 to 10?
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

TheSpartan94 wrote:Hi, thank you very much for your feedback and the time you spent on it. I found your criticism very true and punctual, I will probably fix something releasing a little patch, with new levels.

About the door, you just didn't find the switch on the balcony :)

Did you like the mod in large? How much would you rate it from 1 to 10?
1. Cool, I'll probably check it out.

2. I just jumped off the balcony :P

3. Probably a 6/10. It has potential but it's hard to get immersed with all the little mistakes.

Return to “Levels”