Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.24)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.5C (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Untitled »

ZikShadow wrote:Played through the whole thing again, Looney, same addons (Good ol' HUD, sounds, cannon sprites replaced), cutscenes off.

EP1:
- Had a couple of times where lifebars stuck around after they're supposed to be gone, once right after defeating Cirno, the other during Flandre's fight.
- Had a bunch of error messages pop up during Starbow Break.

https://imgur.com/Zugvhbx
https://imgur.com/m7EIQMm
https://imgur.com/PZiDBPd

EP2:
- Somehow managed to skip the megasphere given to you before Youmu.
- Missing lifebar at the start of Utsuho's fight.

https://imgur.com/hQoW2b4
https://imgur.com/9URDFnT

EP3:
- Had a couple of missing lifebars again with Tenshi and Yukari.
- Spirit Barrier limit too low, couldn't pick up one in Reimu's stage in my no-spell-cards run.
https://imgur.com/Qny7KuT
E1: Cirno: No idea what causes Cirno's lifebar not clearing - the scripts are terminated not once but actually *twice* due to poor flow (now just once).
E1: Flandre: I kind of want to punch Flandre's code in the face despite it not having a face. It's perpetually nonsensically broken. I literally changed nothing in Starbow break, it should not be giving errors now and of course none of these happen in testing. As for the errors, that's due to the fact that the orb spawners can quite frequently spawn the orbs outside of map bounds; in earlier versions of GZDoom the game doesn't give you an error for it; I don't really have any good way to fix this; I'm too attached to DECORATE to re-code the entire thing properly with ZScript or something better.
E2: Youmu: Yeah, it's mod compatibility thing - rather than giving a megasphere, I spawn one on top of the teleport location; TIL: as it turns out, ACS-based teleports preserve momentum. Fixed; you'll be forced to pick it up now.
E2: Utsuho: Fixed.
E3: Spirit Barriers: There's a limit of 8 in reference to the fact that 8 bombs is the maximum in the actual Touhou series post-UFO. Though, if you're not using them, I *do* have a CVar for that, you should know.
E3: Tenshi/Yukari: Okay, Tenshi seems to work just fine on my end. Thanks, inconsistent TID behavior. Yukari's just been inexplicably broken since literally always.

EDIT: Oh, and 3.5C is out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dcjpw2rqbanx ... C.pk3?dl=1

EDIT #2: https://imgur.com/a/CwlXNgW

wonder what this is...?
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Well, I've spent last week on testing Touhou Doom 3.5A/B/C and it was like awesome!
Not just major changes, but even little ones are pretty cool, like that returning from Patchouli's library, you stand not near the entrance door of SDM, but near the library; and also nice changing of texture of former checkerboard - now it looks considerably better. And also I've seen you've fixed that little things like "Is she in contained within here" and others.

But as usual, I found a bunch of little (and not so little) bugs and inconsistencies (yep, everything's in just a hope to help making Touhou Doom better!)

At first, after some messing with DECORATE code and testing different suppositions, looks like I've finally found the cause of non-existent healthbars. What I've figured out, is the fact that DECORATE lines that call or terminate any script somehow should be 1-tick long instead of 0-tick. I don't know why it is so, but after I've done this, everything went OK.
Details follow:
Spoiler:
Second problem is that if someone (including player) just after Patchouli being defeated (in any of her spells or nonpells) accidentally step on the place where she was, it prevent her from spawning, and thus render stage unbeatable, because Patchouli wouldn't appear anymore. I think she should telefrag anybody in her place in the moment of spawn, as, for example, Cirno does - instead of not appearing at all.
Previously, I considered this problem not so violent; but after I got this in very normal playthrough (if you're interested: I defeated her, as I thought, in last spell attack, but forgot that she has one more spell card. Then I ran forward the same moment I defeated her, thinking, could I reach door before stage ends, but... I've reached a door, then, after a few seconds, I realized something's going wrong. 'She has one more spell card, maybe', I thought, but - there was no Patchouli. And immediately I realized that it was that bug I noticed before...)

Well, then I checked several methods to avoid this like replacing Spawn() to SpawnForced() in script 604, adding +TELESTOMP to Patchouli, PatchouliNS2, and PatchouliSpellcard, using AllowMonsterTelefrags MAPINFO parameter, etc - this all don't work; so I suggest the only possible thing is to move script 604 behavior to DECORATE.
I suggest to fix it this way (very lots of text and ACS and DECORATE code):
Spoiler:
Third problem was on MAP08: I've spotted that Flandre, on nonspells before Kagome Kagome, and before Starbow Break, experiences empty healthbar issue because of strange, but actual engine behavior - that is true for GZDoom (1.9.1), ZDoom (2.8.1), and Zandronum (2.1.2 and 3.0). In short, 'Goto <State>' jumps not into the state of current actor, but those actor, where this goto is defined. Further information:
Spoiler:
And at last, some minor bugs, questions, strange moments and suggestions:
Spoiler:
By the way:
Untitled wrote:wonder what this is...?
Uhm. Why am I thinking I know who will be the boss of this stage?
Spoiler:
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

muzzdiez wrote:[Big Issues]
Fixed. Hopefully. Given the state of everything I don't trust myself or the engine to behave logically, but I tried.
Patchouli's a pain, but I did reduce the time between cards, to make it more obvious. Because you really shouldn't be in melee range anyway; so if each card begins instantly, you can't accidentally cover the spawn *anyway*.
muzzdiez wrote:And at last, some minor bugs, questions, strange moments and suggestions:
Spoiler:
By the way:
Untitled wrote:wonder what this is...?
Uhm. Why am I thinking I know who will be the boss of this stage?
Spoiler:
System cards: Unintentional, I completely forgot about how ZDoom handles inventory items and forgot InterHubAmount. Fixed.
User spellcards 23 and 24 are both the same card, but they have the same name just to keep the numbering system consistent.
MAP05: There's quite a few enemies that call it in both spawn (usually actually idle) and see, when I'm feeling like being paranoid.
MAP12, MAP20, MAP16, MAP08: All fixed.
MAP17: Sanae's supposed to be an "or" deal. You're supposed to go either fight Sanae OR fight Iku and Tenshi. Fighting both wasn't meant to be an intentional route, and delaying the last cutscene for an optional and not even intentional route is a bit much.
MAP31: Iku's Melee Attack kills framerate? That's a strange one, I've never seen anyone have problems with that.
MAP32: Yeah, I've tried to optimize it a bit.
MAP20: Sort of a latent effect of a combination of 3D floors and the FIREBLU filter.
MAP16: Dekw sign now fixed. Takes away all vanilla weapons, if Touhou_DoomWeapons isn't on.
MAP12, MAP04, MAP11, MAP12, MAP08, MAP20, MAP15, MAP07 and MAP08: All Fixed.
Spoiler: The mysterious new map
EDIT: Version 3.55 is out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/33cj7ka1fk2eq ... 5.pk3?dl=1
CHANGELOG:
-Everything fixed in this post.
Twitchy2019

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.55 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Twitchy2019 »

With all this overpowered goodness on the side of the Touhou characters, is this the antithesis to our friends at Russian Overkill? I dunno, but I can't get that mod to work with this one! Guncaster dragon Cygnis Flaynithere is more than a match for these wannabe fairy dicks, so that is good! :D
muzzdiez

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.55 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by muzzdiez »

Uhm, I was too busy for the last several weeks, so only latter days I've gone back to playtesting all this.
Thanks for the fixes!
I made a couple of full playtesting runs and watched over healthbar behavior there. I see, finally, after the last fixes, healthbars perform normally: there was not even a single healthbar which behave incorrectly (missing or malfunctioning).

At first, about your words:
Untitled wrote:MAP17: Sanae's supposed to be an "or" deal. You're supposed to go either fight Sanae OR fight Iku and Tenshi. Fighting both wasn't meant to be an intentional route, and delaying the last cutscene for an optional and not even intentional route is a bit much.
Wow, it's silly, but I wasn't even thinking that's designed like this; somehow I thought that secret levels are unreachable until you defeat Sanae. But I was wrong (specially checked this).
Untitled wrote:MAP31: Iku's Melee Attack kills framerate? That's a strange one, I've never seen anyone have problems with that.
I've just noticed that it may be some kind of strange behavior of software renderer (OpenGL fog looks a bit ugly on my video card, so generally I play with software renderer). But in OpenGL mode it seems to be ok.
Untitled wrote:MAP32: Yeah, I've tried to optimize it a bit.
Looks like it become just a bit faster, but, really, just a bit. Even in OpenGL mode this Tenshi's attack produces significant drops in framerate, as some of Yukari's attacks, especially her survival.
Untitled wrote:MAP20: Sort of a latent effect of a combination of 3D floors and the FIREBLU filter.
Uhm, I thought about this a bit and found out two things, and both of them are unrelated to FIREBLU (I've IDCLIPped out of it to search for the reason).
At first, if we speak of 3D floor, of which each tree on MAP20 and MAP19 does consist, as far as I experimented, I figured out this: control sector's light level sets light level under the floor, and exact sector light level sets it on the top of 3D floor (at least, in the case of these trees). So, each tree's top has light level of 168, while light level of surrounding sector is 192. I think it's definitely worth fixing from 168 to at least 192. (By the way, why isn't it both 255, if we are fighting in the mountain shrine in the sunny day?)
The second thing I found, is the one which looks like it's something really wrong with lighting in ZDoom (2.8.1)/GZDoom (1.9.1)/Zandronum (2.1.2, 3.0). I checked the default lighting mode, "dark", and almost every other one, like "software", "standard", "bright", and "doom". They produce strange, and nearly similar results (see https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-nA5r ... NXex6vftEQ). I've messed a bit with light levels of trees' top (and marked each of them on the screenshot), and found that there is significant difference between light levels 247 and 248, like if each light level from 248 to 254 is treated as 255, and each light level less than 248 is shown like not more than 160 or so (compare with side of the trees, which have light level of 192). The only "legacy" lighting mode (see https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LLNjR ... CkJxdTqa98) is working as expected (despite of looking a bit unfamiliar), and all ok with lighting of 3D floors; and those trees, where I set light level of 192, look exactly normal - with tops and sides having equal lighting.
P.S. I may share map file with modified lighting of the trees with you (for you not losing time to the same work), if you want to test in on your video card; I admit it may look different, according to video card and/or drivers.
Spoiler: The mysterious new map
In addition, while playtesting, I found (as usual) some new bugs:
- Episode 1 has no intermission at the end, while episodes 2 and 3 have.
- First protip of episode 2 is not shown if spellcards are off; but it could be shown if doom weapons are off, since it tells the player about alt-fire.
- In MAP16, AyaToriiHurricane has no "SHMA RSTURSTURSTURSTURSTUVV 2"-like string before "SHMA Q 0 A_UnSetInvulnerable" in 'See' state, so Aya starts attacking and be vulnerable immediately after spell card started, without a time gap of spell card declaration, which every other spell card of her and every other boss have.
- In MAP07, I noticed a regression in "I'm looking to reolve that": script 13 of MAP07 is ok, but script 14 still have this error.
- In MAP08, FlandreCranberryTrapSpawner is still not -COUNTKILL.
- In MAP20, Yukari starts her first nonspell during a cutscene, attacking player even before his FROZEN flag is turned off!
- In MAP16, teleport to "Original map do not steal" must not preserve orientation and momentum (otherwise it results in weird orientations on this sub-level start).
- In MAP19, in 'Idle' state of ReimuNS4 and ReimuNS3, there should be the same number in call to "BHI_SpellCardsBySkillLevel", as in 'See' state. As for now, I've seen incorrect number of remaining spell cards appering sometimes on these nonspells.
- In MAP17, consider adding SXF_TELEFRAG to spawning "SanaeStarRitual" and "SanaeDivineWind" in SanaeNS3; otherwise it may lead to the same problems as were with Patchouli.
- In MAP18, the same is for spawning "MarisaBlazingStar" in '420ModeActivate' state of MarisaMasterSpark.
- In MAP05, just after grabbing red key and before Patchouli battle actually starts, items that lay between the bookshelves, are "jumping" up to the level of bookshelves' top and remain floating there (see https://drive.google.com/open?id=1reP8F ... sjVu6OOgVT).
- And some minor flaws that are miscalculations of frame sequences in DECORATEs. Most of them are in 'Idle' after 'Spawn' with some 'A' frames. Here's all these events, arranged in a table:

Code: Select all

DECORATE  Line  What's there now                     What's there should be                   Comment
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rumia     41    RMIA ABCDEFG 7 A_Look             -> RMIA BCDEFGA 7 A_Look                    (may be it does not matter: there's only 2 'A' frames before)
Cirno     41    CIRN ABCDEF 3 A_Look              -> CIRN BCDEFA 3 A_Look                     (and add "CIRN A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Meiling   870   MEIL AABB 2 A_Look                -> MEIL ABBA 2 A_Look                       (there's exactly 2 'A' frames before)
Patchouli 42    PTCH ABCDEFGHIJKLM 2 A_Look       -> PTCH BCDEFGHIJKLMA 2 A_Look              (there's exactly 2 'A' frames before)
Remilia   44    REMI ABCDEFGH 3 A_Look            -> REMI BCDEFGHA 3 A_Look                   (there's exactly 3 'A' frames before)
Youmu     41    YOUM ABCDEFGH 3 A_Look            -> YOUM BCDEFGHA 3 A_Look                   (and add "YOUM A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Yuyuko    41    YUYU ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look          -> YUYU BCDEFGHIJA 3 A_Look                 (and add "YUYU A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Komachi   41    KMCH ABCDEF 4 A_Look              -> KMCH ABBCCDDEEFFA 2 A_Look               (duplication because there's 2, not 4 'A' frames before)
Suika     40    SUIK ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRA 3 A_Look -> SUIK BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRA 3 A_Look         (and add "SUIK A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before; and why Suika's 'A' frame is repeated both on start and end?)
Suika     1539  SUIK ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR 3 A_Look  -> SUIK BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR 3 A_Look          (there's exactly 3 'A' frames before, and it's 'Idle' with 'A' frames in it before; so no ending 'A' is needed)
Suika     2200  SUIK ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRA 3 A_Look -> SUIK BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRA 3 A_Look         (and add "SUIK A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before; and why Suika's 'A' frame is repeated both on start and end?)
Satori    40    SATR ABCDEF 3 A_Look              -> SATR BCDEFA 3 A_Look                     (and add "SATR A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Orin      42    ORIN ABCDEF 3 A_Look              -> ORIN BCDEFA 3 A_Look                     (and add "ORIN A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Okuu      39    UNYU ABCDEFGHIJKLM 4 A_Look       -> UNYU ABBCCDDEEFFGGHHIIJJKKLLMMA 2 A_Look (duplication because there's 2, not 4 'A' frames before)
Koishi    42    KOIS ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look          -> KOIS BCDEFGHIJA 3 A_Look                 (and add "KOIS A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Koishi    897   KOIS ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look          -> KOIS BCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look                  (there's exactly 3 'A' frames before, and it's 'Idle' with 'A' frames in it before; so no ending 'A' is needed)
Alice     43    ALIC ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP 3 A_Look    -> ALIC BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPA 3 A_Look           (and add "ALIC A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Yukari    41    YKRI ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look          -> YKRI BCDEFGHIJA 3 A_Look                 (and add "YKRI A 1" to 'Spawn' state, because there's 2, not 3 'A' frames before)
Yukari    1530  YKRI ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Chase         -> YKRI BCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Chase                 (there's exactly 3 'A' frames before, and it's 'See' with 'A' frames in it before; so no ending 'A' is needed; it's worth noting that in same situation at line 1523 in 'Idle' you didn't forget to do it)
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.6 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Untitled »

All of those are fixed, thank you, except a few:
-The Tree lighting issue I got around in MAP19 via making all sectors in that map 256 Bright.
-The end of Episode I map deliberately does not have an intermission as a reference to E1M8 of the original Doom - and in addition to that, the majority of monsters are in the death-room, so the map isn't UV-maxable anyway. Also, it has no secrets, so there's really no point in having an intermission there.
-Aya immediately firing her last card is intentional, referencing the fact that she's the fastest character in the series AND referencing the fact that illusionary dominance is called while she's in motion to start the spellcard.

Current release (as one of those is actually a serious problem): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ese1zanaoz7aa ... 6.pk3?dl=1
Spellweaver

Post by Spellweaver »

I loved your version of Touhou Doom a lot. You did a great job, that's for sure.
I would love to point on some decisions that I find odd, however.
First of all, episode 1 seems to be overly vulnerable to "hiding behind things" tactic. Literally every boss has a good place to hide, and it's often so much easier than dodging.
It becomes almost silly in case of Remilia, who turns a floor into lava if you hide behind columns and makes a remark... except you can still outwait literally all but the last of her spells behind the throne. This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in later episodes, though.
Second, it does feel weird to fire rockets at fairies. It feels even weirder to see ammunition for modern weapons lying all around Gensokyo. However flawed Dusted's version was, Heretic and Hexen weapons, while far from unique, did fit Gensokyo a lot better. This obviously is no longer a problem in further episodes.
Third, the balancing of weapons seems a bit odd. I never find myself in any need to use "Reimu's gun". Homing was useful in Touhou but it's not as useful in a game where you can aim - in fact, it can be outright harmful when you need to hit a particular enemy - and lazer seems to combine all the upsides (relatively high damage, easy aiming, really high range, multiple enemies hit) with no real downsides.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Spellweaver wrote:I loved your version of Touhou Doom a lot. You did a great job, that's for sure.
I would love to point on some decisions that I find odd, however.
First of all, episode 1 seems to be overly vulnerable to "hiding behind things" tactic. Literally every boss has a good place to hide, and it's often so much easier than dodging.
It becomes almost silly in case of Remilia, who turns a floor into lava if you hide behind columns and makes a remark... except you can still outwait literally all but the last of her spells behind the throne. This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in later episodes, though.
Second, it does feel weird to fire rockets at fairies. It feels even weirder to see ammunition for modern weapons lying all around Gensokyo. However flawed Dusted's version was, Heretic and Hexen weapons, while far from unique, did fit Gensokyo a lot better. This obviously is no longer a problem in further episodes.
Third, the balancing of weapons seems a bit odd. I never find myself in any need to use "Reimu's gun". Homing was useful in Touhou but it's not as useful in a game where you can aim - in fact, it can be outright harmful when you need to hit a particular enemy - and lazer seems to combine all the upsides (relatively high damage, easy aiming, really high range, multiple enemies hit) with no real downsides.
The sad part is, Episode I used to *worse* about it - Patchouli and Sakuya didn't lower their Bookshelves and Pillars respectively.
Remilia was an artifact of an era where I felt she was unreasonably hard during testing - as I got better at the game, this became less true. And also the artifact of an era where bosses didn't have timers.

In fact, Episode I in general is mostly from an era where I have no idea what I was doing; there's a lot of questionable design choices in it. Episode II and III are where I decided to get serious; there's a lot more thought put into "yeah, nice try" strategies in it.

As for the weapons, here's the breakdown of things:
-Homing Amulets: 6th place DPS, exists mostly to deal with annoying small fairies that fly off way into the distance because Doom monster AI is very random and sometimes goes into places where it's hard to reach. Also, it's the best visibility on a weapon - it's very easy to see what's being shot at you.
-Persuasion Needle: 2nd place DPS, doing nearly 20% more damage than 4th place, and about 8% above the 3rd place. This is a projectile and requires precise aim, but it's risk/reward - highest damage output by a noticeable margin if you can get it. Even if you only hit 3/4 needle streams, it's better than most things.
-Hakurei Amulet: 5th place DPS - this mostly exists for dealing with cards which are dense enough that you don't want to waste *health* trying to aim - there's a few cards where the best dodge strategy involves not facing directly at the boss. Also, there's *one* card in Reimu's fight where this is mandatory to use. If you haven't seen it yet, you'll know what it is. Also, it's INCREDIBLY useful during the Third Extra Stage - I won't say why, though.
-Illusion Laser: 4th place DPS, but only by about 5% extra damage compared to 3rd - this is kind of the equivalent of Hakurei Amulet in that it's an easy weapon to use.
-Magic Missile: 3rd place DPS - yes, it has higher DPS than Illusion Laser! Granted, it's harder to hit with.
-Hakkero Fire: 1st place DPS - sort of; it has some serious issues, mostly the utter lack of range. This is deliberate; it's the ultimate risk-reward if it pays off. It doesn't usually.

As you can see, Illusion Laser is easier to use, but it's not the highest damage by a long shot - the only things worse than it in DPS are things that *literally do not require aiming*.

EDIT: Wait, Literally every boss? Where did you hide for Flandre's fight? You know, the one where the pillars lower on you. (Also Cirno's fight, but at least Cirno isn't terribly hard).

EDIT #2: DPS Ratio from 6th place to 1st: 0.68 --> 0.80 --> 0.82 --> 0.91 --> 1.0 --> between 0.0 and 2.0 (yes, the range is that high)
Spellweaver

Post by Spellweaver »

Considering weapons - to be honest, projectile-based weapons result in lower dps in case of boss that moves. But it's debatable, and not my point.
You might be surprised, but I wasn't even 100% sure that Needle does more damage than lazer. The difference of 20%, considering that you don't always hit with all the needles (which would result in a lower damage output), is a little too subtle to be noticed with a naked eye.
To compare: vanilla Doom's rocket launcher has potential DPS more than 4 times higher than chaingun and 1.46 higher than plazma gun (that is supposedly a higher-tier weapon).
I obviously recognise that lazer doesn't have the highest potential damage, but it has very high reliable damage that is usable under most circumstances. Thus, it's used most of the time while other weapons (except for needles, I guess) are highly situational and even in those situations don't outclass lazer by that much.
To be honest, I don't recall any card in Reimu's fight where I had to use amulets. Does it depend on difficulty?
Considering bosses - I admit that I somehow forgot about Cirno and Flandre is, well, an extra stage.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Spellweaver wrote:Considering weapons - to be honest, projectile-based weapons result in lower dps in case of boss that moves. But it's debatable, and not my point.
You might be surprised, but I wasn't even 100% sure that Needle does more damage than lazer. The difference of 20%, considering that you don't always hit with all the needles (which would result in a lower damage output), is a little too subtle to be noticed with a naked eye.
To compare: vanilla Doom's rocket launcher has potential DPS more than 4 times higher than chaingun and 1.46 higher than plazma gun (that is supposedly a higher-tier weapon).
I obviously recognise that lazer doesn't have the highest potential damage, but it has very high reliable damage that is usable under most circumstances. Thus, it's used most of the time while other weapons (except for needles, I guess) are highly situational and even in those situations don't outclass lazer by that much.
To be honest, I don't recall any card in Reimu's fight where I had to use amulets. Does it depend on difficulty?
Considering bosses - I admit that I somehow forgot about Cirno and Flandre is, well, an extra stage.
Although you have a point, your example is very poor - if you have infinite ammo, the chaingun is completely useless, you never use it, EXCEPT to snipe things, that's it; the rocket launcher does so much more damage that it's strictly a higher-tier weapon. The Plasma Rifle is also way better than the chaingun - you don't use it past this.

A better example is any mod where Plasma Rifle and Railgun are both available weapons, back when that was a thing? I don't really know. I personally use the Plasma Rifle more often in most of such mods, so I kind of assumed that most people did; maybe I need to look at this again.

Though, honestly, if you want easy to use against bosses, just use Hakurei Amulet - it literally aims for you, meaning that it has a lower skill floor. This is the main reason why I didn't want to nerf Illusion Laser; if it becomes weaker than Hakurei Amulet there's literally never a reason to use Illusion Laser EXCEPT for piercing damage, since Hakurei Amulet automatically does most of its damage no matter how bad you are at aiming.

As for Flandre and Reimu, I forget that some people don't play on Lunatic Mode. Reimu has this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoWjGyR8hxw on Hard and Lunatic, which, FYI, *does* wrap around the arena. It also has a 110 second timeout, to discourage deliberately timing the card out.

If you're using Touhou_DoomWeapons, that card is literally mandatory save-scumming to pass; it's complete luck whether or not she ever is in your camera view.

Also, the third extra stage. TRY IT. It's fun. Also very hard, but try it. You'll appreciate the weapon differences much more.

EDIT: SCREW IT ALL, I BUFFED EVERYTHING
Details, all of these are for 400 power:
-Homing Amulet: Raised homing amulet damage by 33%, lowered the non-homing amulet damage by 33%. Current ratio of Homing:Not-Homing damage 4:1 (was previously 2:1). Increased DPS by 11%.
-Persuasion Needle: Lowered Amulet damage, raised needle damage. Needle:Amulet damage ratio is now 6:1 (previously 10:3). Increased DPS by 7%
-Hakurei Amulet: Lowered non-homing amulet damage, raised homing damage. Ratio is now 9:2, (previously 5:2). Increased DPS by 5%.
-Illusion Laser: Added star projectiles to laser. Lowered laser damage. Raised DPS by 9%, if all projectiles connect, if none do, it's raised by -9% instead.
-Magic Missile: Raised missile damage, lowered projectile damage. Ratio of splash to direct-hit damage is now 11:2 (previously 15:2). Raised DPS by 8%.
-Hakkero Fire: Added star projectiles. Did not change anything else; this is a silly joke weapon that is mean to have an absurd DPS if in point-blank range, which it still does, having quite literally over double the DPS of the Plasma Rifle (which itself has higher DPS than any of the other 5 weapons here).
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Untitled wrote:All of those are fixed, thank you, except a few:
-The Tree lighting issue I got around in MAP19 via making all sectors in that map 256 Bright.
-The end of Episode I map deliberately does not have an intermission as a reference to E1M8 of the original Doom - and in addition to that, the majority of monsters are in the death-room, so the map isn't UV-maxable anyway. Also, it has no secrets, so there's really no point in having an intermission there.
-Aya immediately firing her last card is intentional, referencing the fact that she's the fastest character in the series AND referencing the fact that illusionary dominance is called while she's in motion to start the spellcard.
I've checked out the changes, and nearly everything is nice.

Well, about Aya and Episode 1 intermission, it's all ok if it's designed like this. (But, there's a technique for UV-maxing levels with a death room: ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum have an option "Count monsters in end level sectors", and with this option on, you might achieve 100% kills on levels such as E1M8 of DOOM. It doesn't work in Touhou Doom though, because of some monsters are spawned there, not placed (I've checked it on Zandronum, but possibly ZDoom and/or GZDoom have different behavior.))

- In MAP16, teleportations between Koishi's spell cards locations still preserve orientation and momentum (and it results in weird orientations on some teleportations, especially to "original map" and "Dekw Sign", and also to candelabra room). I suggest adding lines "Thing_Stop(99); SetActorAngle(99,GetActorAngle(x));" to any Teleport(x,0); line in script 2 of MAP16 (if this script is still used at all), and to any Thing_Move(99,x,0); line in other scripts on this map. By the way, changing player's TID to 99 makes level impossible to be done in cooperative, isn't it? (Since there are cooperative starts, it is likely supposed to be possible to be done in multiplayer.) Maybe it will be better to change player's TID not to 99, but 99+PlayerNumber().

- In MAP05, just after grabbing red key and before Patchouli battle actually starts, items that lay between the bookshelves, are still "jumping" up to the level of bookshelves' top and remain floating there.

- About tree lighting issue, MAP19 is all ok for now, but I suppose the same could be done on MAP20.

- In MAP20, before this fix, Yukari was active during a cutscene, but now she remains inactive after it ended (rendering stage impassable). You've changed TID to 6234 in line 1386 of MAP20's SCRIPTS, but it looks like you forgot to do this at line 1448.

Interesting, but for Sakuya's DECORATE, you've removed both of duplicated +BOSS flags from SakuyaJackTheLudoBile, SakuyaNS2, but left last one intact in Sakuya, SakuyaTheWorld, SakuyaNS3, SakuyaKillingDoll, SakuyaMidboss, and SakuyaMisdirection. Is this somehow intended? (Likely all other bosses have at least one +BOSS in their actor definition.)

Speaking about these minor frame count mismatches, it is nice that you've fixed most of them. But four still remain:
- SuikaNS3 (DECORATE line 1541), state 'See': is there ending "A" intended in "A_Look" frame sequence? You have "Loop" after this, and 'See' begins with another three "A" frames (lines 1538..1540).
- KoishiNS4 (DECORATE line 899), state 'Idle': looks like you forgot to remove "A" from "KOIS ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look"; there's three "A" frames before, and state is looped, so there probably should be "KOIS BCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Look".
- YukariNS2 (DECORATE line 1532), state 'See': the same. Looks like you forgot to remove "A" from "YKRI ABCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Chase"; there's three "A" frames before, and state is looped, so there probably should be "YKRI BCDEFGHIJ 3 A_Chase".
- Utsuho (DECORATE line 39), state 'Spawn': should there be "UNYU A 1 A_Look" instead of "UNYU A 2 A_Look"? There's four frames of each type instead of three in following frame sequence, but "A" here totally results in 3 frames, not 4. (It might be completely unnoticeable though, because this lack of one frame is not in a loop, but in 'Spawn' state which is never repeated).
Spellweaver wrote:First of all, episode 1 seems to be overly vulnerable to "hiding behind things" tactic. Literally every boss has a good place to hide, and it's often so much easier than dodging.
How I see this from my side: I know that Touhou is all about dodging, not hiding behind something, but that's what I like in these boss arenas of Touhou DOOM: you have a good (in my opinion) balance between dodging and hiding in 1st episode. You're not going completely open as in vanilla Touhou (yep, I'm not a master of dodging, so I suck at every Touhou game, maybe except HSiFS); you're not going to play hide-and-seek with a boss while shooting her one time a hour, if several conditions are met so you feel you could do this without instantly killed with retaliate attack. Here, you've got an intense fight, but always have an option to lurk behind a pillar for a couple of seconds, if accidentally something begins to go really wrong, and catch a breath back to continue the battle after you feel ready again. That's really the case if you have no spell cards (and obviously in 1st episode it's true), so I like both types of boss arenas: I like how they are made in 1st episode, because it's a chance to recover instead of die, when you lose control over the battle; and I like how they made in other episodes too: despite of them being really open, without any cover, you at least have spell cards for such an emergency.
Spellweaver wrote:I never find myself in any need to use "Reimu's gun". Homing was useful in Touhou but it's not as useful in a game where you can aim
Another my opinion follows: Well, in my childhood, I've used to play DOOM exclusively on keyboard, without a mouse (mechanical ones were really worse than keyboard), so I prefer to not bother about aiming in any DOOM-like game or DOOM mod. In some modern games, like, say, Minecraft, I use mouse to look and aim, but I can't help myself with doing the same in DOOM. So my weapon of choice is
Spoiler:
That's my playing style; and for it, some weapons are better useful, and some are worse. Another people have another styles and another favourite weapons (e.g. I've seen ZikShadow's playthrough with extremely massive usage of Illusion Laser, which is clearly not an option for me.) So, what's the most precious about this Touhou DOOM, is that you have a bunch of VERY different weapons to choose, and they are suitable for VERY different styles of gameplay, that's what I tried to say.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

To Muzzdiez: Fixed, fixed, fixed, and fixed. Thanks.

Link will be in the OP when uploaded.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I'll say what I changed.

-Added the weapon changes detailed above.
-Fixed the bugs Muzzdiez mentioned.
-Added something secret to TouhouItemWeps.wad...?
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Untitled wrote:To Muzzdiez: Fixed, fixed, fixed, and fixed. Thanks.
Thanks! Everything is OK now, except that Patchouli now has floating items only on the right side; left side is ok. (See https://drive.google.com/open?id=1inlcV ... 3enFQyE1Ho)

Also, I discovered that you can't achieve 100% items on many stages with spell cards turned off; I suggest adding A_ChangeFlag("COUNTITEM", FALSE) before 'Stop' in DECORATEs of all spell cards, since they spawn soulspheres in that case, and disappear, making item count accociated with them not countable anymore.

And...
Spoiler:
komeijisatori

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.65 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by komeijisatori »

Holy smokes, this is so cool to see. I was the one who inspired DustedEnderman years ago when I made my Remilia bossfight when trying to learn how to make wads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wjBqjkk78

So weird knowing the wad I inspired ended up inspiring somebody else as well. Made my day to see something I wish I could've made, but never had the skills to.
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.66 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Untitled »

Alright, added the changes to 3.66.

I've gone kind of quiet for a little while, that's because Episode IV doesn't have too much I want to reveal (there's a number of things best experienced blind in there).

So here's the list of what has to be finished for Episode IV:
-There are 12 maps that need to be finished for this. Originally going to be 10, but things got out of hand and I had some fun on some gimmick maps.
-Each of these maps needs a boss.
-There's a bunch of *SeCrEt* things that I can't actually say out loud now, that'd give it away.

SO, what's actually finished so far?
-MAP21 through MAP24, as well as MAP33 and MAP34 (Yep, two new secret maps! Have fun, they're both ridiculous, but for different reasons)
-Each of those said finished maps does in fact have a boss (Okay, that's a lie, one of them doesn't).
-I've finished the 'Boss' for MAP25.
-I've worked quite a bit on [SECRET], though I haven't started on [OTHER SECRET].

That leaves me:
-Finish MAP25. This is a real pain, as it takes me forever to draw a map layout.
-Finish the [SECRET].
-Figure out what the hell I want to do for MAP27, as that map slot currently literally just doesn't have any ideas (and I'm not making the wad awkwardly finish on MAP29).
-Design bosses for the rest of the map, which is MAP26 to MAP30.
-Actually finish MAP26 to MAP30.
-Finish [OTHER SECRET].

So, quite a bit! Just to prove that yes, I *am* actually working on this thing, have a screenshot, from MAP24:
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”