Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.24)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GenericGenericness

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Post by GenericGenericness »

So I'm confused... I have a version of this that has four episodes and seems significantly different. Whats the deal?

Also what is the name of that glorious song on the title screen when first loading?
Smashhacker

Post by Smashhacker »

GenericGenericness wrote:So I'm confused... I have a version of this that has four episodes and seems significantly different. Whats the deal?

Also what is the name of that glorious song on the title screen when first loading?
You most definitely got the older DustedPandemonic version of Touhou Doom instead of Untitled's version. Also the title screen music is Eternal Shrine Maiden from the Dolls in Pseudo Paradise music cd.
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Well, I know she can create similar danmaku, but what about similar things like rockets, bullets (of lead and steel, not magical ones), etc?..
(But maybe I just underestimate her a bit, eh.)
Untitled wrote:It's not fixed in 3G - it's fixed in the WIP progress build I have; the minor issues about invalid states are all issues that don't actually affect the gameplay in any way, so I don't feel the pressing need to re-upload the build just to fix that.
Ah, ok, then I'll wait for release.
Untitled wrote:I mean to be fair, there's not even supposed to be a results screen for that map
As far as I remember (while making the dummy 'stat screen' map that appears after the end of this level and following intermission screen), there are no results screen, you are correct. But some mods (I can't remember exactly which, it was long before now) overuse this method of level exit pretty much even in the middle of episode, and thus make UV-max-like runs impossible (even if final levels do not count).
GenericGenericness wrote:So I'm confused... I have a version of this that has four episodes and seems significantly different. Whats the deal?
That's definitely Dusted's version. It is more like DOOM with Touhou enemies and stages, while Untitled's version which is duscussed here is much more Touhou-like.
Spoiler:
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episode 3.5 (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Untitled »

So, after working on Episode IV, I realized that I made so many changes to the project that I'm actually going to stage an Episode III re-release, with all of the new things that I have implemented:

NEW TO THE 3.5 UPDATE:
-Almost certainly broke compatibility with muzzdiez's add-on. Sorry about that!
-A new MAP01!
-Bosses with Lifebars (that don't always work)!
-Bosses with a timeout system!
-A Hakurei Amulet Rifle that's not literally a minigun!
Spoiler: Full Changelog (Spoiler Alert)
LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdvlea947jw50 ... A.pk3?dl=1

EDIT: Okay I made an image in the OP, can anyone explain why the thumbnail doesn't work? I put it in the [thumb] tag and everything!
Last edited by Untitled on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Uh, I just gone through 1st episode, and it's very impressive (especially new first map). But Meiling's door does not lower completely (looks like this renders level unfinishable without IDCLIP).
I'll see what's with episode 2 and 3 tomorrow maybe.
Untitled wrote:Almost certainly broke compatibility with muzzdiez's add-on. Sorry about that!
I'll try to do something with it, I expect many overloaded code is have to be removed from there, and it's good - as this functionality is already in your mod.
Untitled wrote:A new MAP01!
It is pretty nice. And story told by computer terminals is also nice.
Untitled wrote:Bosses with Lifebars (that don't always work)!
Yay! Yes, I noticed some glitches in these lifebars, for example, bar of last Flandre's spell did not disappear after spell breaking. Well, I'll do some 'code review' on this some of next days, and try to find out the reason.
Also, I see you decided not to show name of midboss, and count 'compound lifebars' (nonspell+spell) as in Touhou, rather than spell cards, as I do. First may be ok; but the latter thing led to problems with some bosses (specifically, Cirno, Meiling and Patchouli; Remilia and extra bosses are ok): if they have last spell without a preceding nonspell, then the last 'lifebar', which consists of spell card only, does not counted. (That was the main reason why I counted spell cards rather than 'lifebars': last boss attack is always a spellcard, so it has no chance to be not counted).
Untitled wrote:Bosses with a timeout system!
Whoa. It is cool, looks like pacifist playtrough may be done... (In reality, no: some doors are opened only when certain enemies are killed, for example, a bunch of fairies right before midboss Meiling, so you have to kill these fairies).
But on my screen, timeout seconds and name of spell card overlap a bit. I suggest aligning seconds left to the lifebar rather that center, or moving name of enemy spellcard down a bit.
Untitled wrote:Flandre's Starbow Break does slightly less damage, because wow that was overly lethal.
Yup, at least now I became able to withstand all Flandre attacks (at least on Normal), so I'm very satisfied (for now, the most diffucult extra stage enemy for me is ex-Patchouli, but lol, I'm working on her).
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Did another playthrough, thoughts on the new stuff:
Played on Loony, full 1 to 3.

- Map01 is a pretty good replacement for the old one, though more ammo could be provided. Even with all secrets found, I still ended up having to kill some high-level enemies with a chainsaw.
- Cool to see the lifebars in the mod proper, there are some problems though, like lifebars not disappearing for some bosses when they're supposed to, cases of doubling (Koishi's candles had the timers on top of each other) and the occasional name errors (rather amusing to have the game name Sanae as Pistol, must have been a long lost middle name or something).
- Also, in my playthrough, Suika for some reason didn't show up for the cutscene, doing the map again however fixed it, so I guess it's a one time deal sort of bug, still strange though.
- The new Persuasion Needles looked a bit square, maybe make them circular and smaller to give the illusion of a needle?

muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

ZikShadow wrote:and the occasional name errors
That would be useful for Untitled: In my Advance Pack, I experienced such errors too, when I forgot to change 'Thing ID' for some enemy. There are some scripts in TOUHOU2 lump which do it; and without proper ID reassignment, health bar appears, but remain empty, and enemy's name would be one of random text strings (I spotted TOUHOU_DOOMWEAPONS a couple times as well). In some survival spells, there is no such 'thing' with ID at all (because boss literally disappears), so there, name is specified manually in call to healtbar enable code.
So I'd suggest to look about correct IDs there.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

muzzdiez wrote:Uh, I just gone through 1st episode, and it's very impressive (especially new first map). But Meiling's door does not lower completely (looks like this renders level unfinishable without IDCLIP).
Ah, crap. I was fixing a Rocket Jump Exploit, while forgetting that the first Episode is so spectacularly badly coded that raising a barrier would render it impassible. That'll be fixed as soon as I get home, it's literally a one-line-of-code fix.
muzzdiez wrote:
Untitled wrote:Bosses with Lifebars (that don't always work)!
Yay! Yes, I noticed some glitches in these lifebars, for example, bar of last Flandre's spell did not disappear after spell breaking. Well, I'll do some 'code review' on this some of next days, and try to find out the reason.
I'll check specific cases when mentioned, it's more in general lifebar code is horribly inconsistent - Episode III has always had the most breakage on my end.
muzzdiez wrote:Also, I see you decided not to show name of midboss, and count 'compound lifebars' (nonspell+spell) as in Touhou, rather than spell cards, as I do. First may be ok; but the latter thing led to problems with some bosses (specifically, Cirno, Meiling and Patchouli; Remilia and extra bosses are ok): if they have last spell without a preceding nonspell, then the last 'lifebar', which consists of spell card only, does not counted. (That was the main reason why I counted spell cards rather than 'lifebars': last boss attack is always a spellcard, so it has no chance to be not counted).
Yeah, it's a case of "usefulness" vs. "how EoSD did it". In the end I went with how the EoSD did it; Patchouli in particular is funny for how useless the last lifebar is; it could be 1, 2, or 3 spells.
muzzdiez wrote:
Untitled wrote:Bosses with a timeout system!
Whoa. It is cool, looks like pacifist playtrough may be done... (In reality, no: some doors are opened only when certain enemies are killed, for example, a bunch of fairies right before midboss Meiling, so you have to kill these fairies).
To be honest pacifying most bosses would be inadvisable anyways; all Final and Extra bosses are equipped with at least one spell that is horribly timeout unfriendly.
EDIT: And most of the rest of the bosses have at least one spell that has enough RNG to make timeout unadvisable.
muzzdiez wrote:But on my screen, timeout seconds and name of spell card overlap a bit. I suggest aligning seconds left to the lifebar rather that center, or moving name of enemy spellcard down a bit.
Ah, the woes of only testing on a 5:4 monitor. Send me a screenshot of what it looks like and I'll fiddle with the numbers.
muzzdiez wrote:
Untitled wrote:Flandre's Starbow Break does slightly less damage, because wow that was overly lethal.
Yup, at least now I became able to withstand all Flandre attacks (at least on Normal), so I'm very satisfied (for now, the most diffucult extra stage enemy for me is ex-Patchouli, but lol, I'm working on her).
Yeah, I decided that Flandre doesn't need to be the horrible boss of stupidly unforgiving death.
Spoiler:
ZikShadow wrote:- Map01 is a pretty good replacement for the old one, though more ammo could be provided. Even with all secrets found, I still ended up having to kill some high-level enemies with a chainsaw.
That's weird - both of my testers (which is, myself and my one other guy) ended with an excess of it. Then again we're both very conservative players who try to make every shot count with the SSG; we're both heavy chaingun snipers.
ZikShadow wrote:- Cool to see the lifebars in the mod proper, there are some problems though, like lifebars not disappearing for some bosses when they're supposed to, cases of doubling (Koishi's candles had the timers on top of each other) and the occasional name errors (rather amusing to have the game name Sanae as Pistol, must have been a long lost middle name or something).
You weren't trying to run this with the Advance Mod addon at the same time, right? Koishi's halfway point is a deliberate choice to break lifebar functionality; I swear I didn't even execute the timer script for Koishi's proper timeout.
The name bugs are weird; I haven't found a good reason for them. I just laugh when it happens; it's completely inconsistent in my experience - Also, fun fact: Sanae's literally never done this to me. Reimu on the other hand...
ZikShadow wrote:- Also, in my playthrough, Suika for some reason didn't show up for the cutscene, doing the map again however fixed it, so I guess it's a one time deal sort of bug, still strange though.
asddsgkjlasdfhklafdjghaf that literally makes no sense unless Suika's actor just disappeared out of nowhere
ZikShadow wrote:- The new Persuasion Needles looked a bit square, maybe make them circular and smaller to give the illusion of a needle?
I'm not going to lie, the old needles definitely looked better - the removal of trails was somewhat a forced lag-reduction measure - the sprites aren't actually mine; but I'll see if I can do something very rudimentary later today.
muzzdiez wrote:
ZikShadow wrote:and the occasional name errors
That would be useful for Untitled: In my Advance Pack, I experienced such errors too, when I forgot to change 'Thing ID' for some enemy. There are some scripts in TOUHOU2 lump which do it; and without proper ID reassignment, health bar appears, but remain empty, and enemy's name would be one of random text strings (I spotted TOUHOU_DOOMWEAPONS a couple times as well). In some survival spells, there is no such 'thing' with ID at all (because boss literally disappears), so there, name is specified manually in call to healtbar enable code.
So I'd suggest to look about correct IDs there.
I'm about 95% sure that's a symptom of a different problem - it's calling the Lifebar script, while failing to actually to set the TID of the monster in the first place - I had these exact sort of errors before back when I was dealing with other projects that involve heavy TID use - namely, the saga of SamsaraHold and the Overmind; PM me if you want the full story, it's far too much of a sidetrack to post here; long story short TID's often love to just be absolutely stupid to me.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Untitled wrote:That's weird - both of my testers (which is, myself and my one other guy) ended with an excess of it.
Hmm, odd indeed. I'm not exactly one to blindly spray fire to the walls, but what happened still happened. I did manage through, but I'm guessing those who tend to be not-so-conserving in their ammo wouldn't be so lucky.
Untitled wrote:You weren't trying to run this with the Advance Mod addon at the same time, right?
Nope. I used a HUD mod and a couple of sound mods, but since I put TD on top (and it never happening in older versions even when combined with the Advance pack), I doubt that it would mess with things directly.
I could try replaying it without any of the addons to check.

Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Wait a minute, Koishi's Yholl Sign doesn't even call the Lifebar script how in the hell is this actually possible?!

Ugh, I hate ACS sometimes.

EDIT: 3.5A released.
Fixes:
-MAP04 no longer requires a rocket jump to beat.
-Flandre's lifebar disappears upon defeating her.
-MAP11 and MAP12 now have a failsafe mechanism making them less breakable.
-Koishi should have less lifebar breakage.
-Bosses in Episode 3 should have less lifebar breakage.

EDIT #2: Check OP for link.
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

I played another two episodes, and reviewed your changes, and very satisfied with the work you have done. Modifying each boss's properties is hard work, after all.

I may note some things detected while playing and looking through code, though. A ton of text follows:
Spoiler:
ZikShadow wrote:rather amusing to have the game name Sanae as Pistol, must have been a long lost middle name or something
*Sanae "Pistol" Kochiya*. Looks pretty cool, I think she would be glad to name herself like that!
Untitled wrote:Patchouli in particular is funny for how useless the last lifebar is; it could be 1, 2, or 3 spells.
Uhm, but it can be fixed with a very little effort (see above). At least she's not Koishi, who intentionally breaks mind of the player and lifebar code too (even the most useful, for me, lifebar of Benellus).
(By the way, according to ACS, Koishi is supposed to say that it's 'no lifebars anymore', but it looks like I can't see these words.)
Untitled wrote:To be honest pacifying most bosses would be inadvisable anyways; all Final and Extra bosses are equipped with at least one spell that is horribly timeout unfriendly.
But while there are touhou players exist who can 1CC at least some of canon games on pacifist Lunatic - I think it is not absolutely impossible for similarly skilled Doom players...
Untitled wrote:Send me a screenshot of what it looks like and I'll fiddle with the numbers.
Here are some screenshots of this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gnu19 ... 7GGlQ7Sh8q
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ITjeY ... JqjaLiyhdv
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X7kwk ... CKROXNrZT7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CX0oH ... 1G_ANC1J0i
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JePsy ... YRY0RDfyZ7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TL_b4 ... kb_GjO5Y4o - here, spell card name is line-wrapped, and thus overlap counter even more.
Untitled wrote:Yeah, I decided that Flandre doesn't need to be the horrible boss of stupidly unforgiving death.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Untitled wrote:I'm about 95% sure that's a symptom of a different problem - it's calling the Lifebar script, while failing to actually to set the TID of the monster in the first place - I had these exact sort of errors before back when I was dealing with other projects that involve heavy TID use - namely, the saga of SamsaraHold and the Overmind; PM me if you want the full story, it's far too much of a sidetrack to post here; long story short TID's often love to just be absolutely stupid to me.
Yes, after looking over your code, I found no mistakes with TIDs assignment. So I suppose there are some kind of race conditions in TID setting up of which you speak about.
Untitled wrote:EDIT: 3.5A released.
I've tested it a bit; some bugs were eliminated, but some new have appeared... I'll check this out thoroughly tomorrow.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Reply to the giant text post:
1. MAP12: You're supposed to pick that up at the beginning of the map - maybe I'll pull the "start the player on top of health pickup" trick I do in Iku's fight.
2. Fixed, fixed, and fixed
3. Oh, I should've fixed this years ago - I'm plain just too lazy and I frankly do not want to actually touch my old code because I hate it. I'll get around to it someday; hopefully.
4. See above.
5. See above.
6. This is a case of "I didn't realize Tag was inherited until I got to Yuyuko" - I wasn't sure if it was or not, so I decided to play it safe. I never removed the redundant code because it never hurts.
7. I'll check it out.
8. A lot of it is me following the star-usage *exactly* as EoSD does it - and EoSD is notable for having multiple spells in a single lifebar; in general the practice of making every single spell it's own lifebar wasn't established until Mountain of Faith (where Sanae's last card had its own lifebar) and Stage 2 and 3 bosses didn't get it until Undefined Fantastic Object (where Kogasa's last card had its own lifebar); 6 games after EoSD.
9. See above; Patchouli's last lifebar was originally basically "all of the remaining spells", regardless of the number (between 1 and 3).
10, 12, 18. Fixed via making a separate Komachi and Suika midboss actor - honestly the hack was, well, just that: A Hack. So I've just decided to recode the midbosses are separate actors, thus negating the need for the giant hack.
11. Fixed.
13. That's how you're supposed to define any state that is designed to simply stop by leaving the actor in that state; see: corpses, items, decorations, and other 'static' things.
14. I don't know what causes that - the script that cancels the lifebar should also cancel the timer.
15. FUCK IF I KNOW
16. Yeah, I suspect it's this.
17. The giant small list:
Spoiler:
Screenshots: Wow, your text is really large. I don't know why your text scale is really wacky, but that's part of it - particularly in the last screenshot; spellcard names are never supposed to take multiple lines. Still, I'll tinker with the numbers; I'm just surprised.
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Thanks for reply!
1. Yes, that would make things more clear (at least you're guaranteed that you don't forget to pick it up).
6. I expected this to be the most possible reason. =)
8,9,17:(13-23). Well, if it's intended - it's ok. (I never played EoSD this much to know such details; it was too hard for me even on Easy, lol.)
12. This fix is ok (it can eliminate much of problems with same actor), but can't this lead to situation when two Komachis or Suikas appear on map, if first one was not killed?
UPD: Lol, it is so. See screenshots: 1, 2, 3, also they experience spell breaks at same time. It looks funny, but... a bit strange.
13. Huh, nice thing. I should have known it, it might be very helpful. Thanks for information.
About screenshots: may it be because text scaling (Options-HUD Options-Message Options-Text Scaling(Zandronum)/Scale Text In High Res(GZDoom)) is on? (Otherwise small messages are barely visible with my 1920x1080).

By the way, I've just watched 3-hour stream by Icarus and found one issue with ScriptWait() of scripts that may become delay-free if cutscenes are off. But looks like you would not suffer from it, because you are not needed to use Marisa, Reimu and Yukari starter scripts, you did already incorporate everything in DECORATE code at needed positions.
Untitled

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.5B (Updated Re-Release)

Post by Untitled »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54l9jz4vr71bq ... B.pk3?dl=1

3.5B is out, and *holy crap* there are a lot of features. And Bug fixes.

BUG FIXES: See everything in my last post. Plus a few obscure ones.

NEW FEATURES:
>>System Cards! Whereas true Spellcards are a one-time emergency-only tool, system cards are a common form of spellcard that are given multiple times throughout Episode 2 and 3. Use these whenever you feel pressured!
^With that in mind, a few maps have less health. Use your bombs! They're useful now!
^The big flashy spellcards are still a thing, of course, but those are as rare as before.
^Secret areas (MAP12, MAP15, MAP17, MAP18) no longer contain soulspheres.
>>A New CVar, touhou_nospellcards. You know, if you'd rather not deal with inventory management and high-stakes decision making.
^-This CVar gives you additional soulspheres as compensation for the lack of bombs.
^-touhou_doomweapons implicitly sets this CVar true.
ZikShadow

Re: Touhou Doom - Episode 3.5B (Updated Re-Release)

Post by ZikShadow »

Played through the whole thing again, Looney, same addons (Good ol' HUD, sounds, cannon sprites replaced), cutscenes off.

EP1:
- Had a couple of times where lifebars stuck around after they're supposed to be gone, once right after defeating Cirno, the other during Flandre's fight.
- Had a bunch of error messages pop up during Starbow Break.

https://imgur.com/Zugvhbx
https://imgur.com/m7EIQMm
https://imgur.com/PZiDBPd

EP2:
- Somehow managed to skip the megasphere given to you before Youmu.
- Missing lifebar at the start of Utsuho's fight.

https://imgur.com/hQoW2b4
https://imgur.com/9URDFnT

EP3:
- Had a couple of missing lifebars again with Tenshi and Yukari.
- Spirit Barrier limit too low, couldn't pick up one in Reimu's stage in my no-spell-cards run.

https://imgur.com/Qny7KuT

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”