Music Addons Breaking With Latest Dev Builds?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Music Addons Breaking With Latest Dev Builds?

Post by wildweasel »

Valherran wrote:
_mental_ wrote:Oh, WMA files... Then they were "broken" since 3.0 because of FMOD Ex removal.

I suggest you to stop using formats like WMA or MP3. Switch to OGG/Vorbis which provides better quality for the same bitrate.
This won't cause you too much troubles if you have uncompressed audio tracks.
So WMA files don't work now? Why would you drop support for this? Half of my CD's I ripped to my system are in this format. :-/
Windows Media Audio is not a format that has been in common use for a very long time (in fact it dropped out of favor along with Microsoft's music stores a while ago). The format is proprietary, not open-source, and was only supported because Fmod supported it - when we dropped Fmod, there was no longer a viable library to support it. It's an unfortunate casualty in your case but it's not a big enough one that I imagine it'd be a priority to reinstate it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

To elaborate on that, the only reason it was ever 'in favor' was because it supported DRM, which early music stores were required to provide. Once music went DRM-free there was no point using a format that had no decent support beyond Windows.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Well shit, no wonder everyone is so hell bent on digital downloads. Everyone wants to convert the formats into better ones... Alright well thanks for the insight. I guess I have a new project to start. -.-
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Getting angry at dropping a format that you like just because it's inconvenient for you is ultimately self-defeating.

Even when there was "support" for it, there was no actual support for it on Linux or Mac. If you tried to give those files to anyone on those platforms, the music would not have been supported for them.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I never said I was angry, and I all I did was ask a question. And I'm sure people on Linux or Mac are well aware of the limitations since there is more to be had compared to Windows users.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Half of my CD's I ripped to my system are in this format. :-/
You did keep the CDs, right?

(note to self: keep cds)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You can rip audio tracks and store them in uncompressed (Wave files) or in lossless compressed format like FLAC. GZDoom can play them directly.
It’s always possible to get them in desirable lossy format without degradation of quality due to recompression.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

_mental_ wrote:You can rip audio tracks and store them in uncompressed (Wave files) or in lossless compressed format like FLAC. GZDoom can play them directly.
It’s always possible to get them in desirable lossy format without degradation of quality due to recompression.
Yeah gonna have to look into that, alot of my music was in WMA format ripped straight from the commercial CDs. Now it makes sense why I see a lot of people prefer digital download over physical CD's as said before.
Matt wrote:
Half of my CD's I ripped to my system are in this format. :-/
You did keep the CDs, right?

(note to self: keep cds)
Oh of course! I just need to bring my ripped collection to work and convert them all into a better format.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Every time I make looping music, I have to use OGG vorbis because for some reason with MP3s, Audacity generates a delay between the start and end which results in an irritating silence that breaks the flow for me.

Drives me nuts... :|
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Major Cooke wrote:Every time I make looping music, I have to use OGG vorbis because for some reason with MP3s, Audacity generates a delay between the start and end which results in an irritating silence that breaks the flow for me.

Drives me nuts... :|
That's a limitation of MP3, not specifically an Audacity thing. The length of an MP3 has to frame-align, so extra samples of silence will be added to ensure an appropriate length (and there's no loop tag support on MP3s, so it can only loop the whole thing). Ogg Vorbis and FLAC don't have that limitation.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”