Music Addons Breaking With Latest Dev Builds?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Valherran

Music Addons Breaking With Latest Dev Builds?

Post by Valherran »

Something weird has been going on lately with music .WADs lately. The further GZDoom gets with the dev builds, the more some music addons are starting to break. I have a custom-made music addon that absolutely will not work save for maybe 13 or 14 tracks out of the 35 present and hasn't worked properly since the stable 3.3.2 release. And recently I noticed that the Doom Metal music addon primarily used for Brutal Doom started to break as well with similar problems to mine. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Last edited by Valherran on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korell

Re: Music Addons Breaking With Latest Dev Builds?

Post by Korell »

Valherran wrote:Something weird has been going on lately with music .WADs lately. The further GZDoom gets with the dev builds, the more some music addons are starting to break. I have a custom-made music addon that absolutely will not work save for maybe 3 or 4 tracks out of the 35 present and hasn't worked properly since the stable 3.3.2 release. And recently I noticed that the Doom Metal music addon primarily used for Brutal Doom started to break as well with similar problems to mine. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Breaking how exactly? Not playing all of the tracks or just playing them incorrectly?

I noticed when I was playing The Adventures of Square that the music was playing incorrectly when using Timidity++ with the provided gzdoom.sf2 soundfont. Under FluidSynth it played correctly, but with Timidity++ some of the notes were incorrectly pitched. No idea why. However, when I instead changed the Timidity++ settings to use Patch93's Roland Sound Canvas V2.2 soundfont (link below) it sounded fine under Timidity++, so maybe the issue is the soundfont?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g6bmov62q ... ndfont.zip
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Although Timidity++ can read and use .sf2 files, you should never forget that primarily it's a GUS patch renderer, so it may be that it cannot detect and use all of .sf2's features.

As for the original report, unless you can provide concrete examples I'll have to close it because there's nothing that can be done.
You didn't tell us anything about the setup you use to play music.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

As for the original report, unless you can provide concrete examples I'll have to close it because there's nothing that can be done.
You didn't tell us anything about the setup you use to play music.
Only 14 out of the 35 tracks will play in my addon, any others I try to play you hear nothing and I don't see any errors pop up on the console.

Playlist functionality for Doom 2:
Spoiler:
Default Sound Settings GZDoom preset:
Spoiler:
Hardware:
Soundblaster ZxR
SteelSeries Siberia 650 Headset

Oh and looky here, I get this error when running default Doom 2:

COULD NOT LOAD FLUIDSYNTH64.DLL OR LIBFLUIDSYNTH64.DLL
COULD NOT OPEN MIDI OUT OF DEVICE
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Can you try this with the devbuild but the libfluidsynth.dll from the official release?
I dimly remember there were some issues with certain FluidSynth revisions but AFAIK they never got into the official releases.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Valherran wrote: COULD NOT LOAD FLUIDSYNTH64.DLL OR LIBFLUIDSYNTH64.DLL
In that case the advice from the previous post even applies more. There seems to be a problem with the FluidSynth that is included in the devbuild.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Valherran wrote: COULD NOT LOAD FLUIDSYNTH64.DLL OR LIBFLUIDSYNTH64.DLL
In that case the advice from the previous post even applies more. There seems to be a problem with the FluidSynth that is included in the devbuild.
This has been ongoing for a while now, like since before that 3.3.2 release. Everything was perfectly fine before I upgraded passed that.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Could you please post your addon? We cannot debug text messages.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

_mental_ wrote:Could you please post your addon? We cannot debug text messages.
I'll send you a dropbox link, and you can give it to whoever else needs to take a look at it.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Oh, WMA files... Then they were "broken" since 3.0 because of FMOD Ex removal.

I suggest you to stop using formats like WMA or MP3. Switch to OGG/Vorbis which provides better quality for the same bitrate.
This won't cause you too much troubles if you have uncompressed audio tracks.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

MP3 still works and will continue to do so, now that all patents have expired.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Sure, but what's the point to use MP3 for new content?
I guess the only case is when it's something already downloaded from Internet in that format.
While Vorbis isn't cutting edge lossy audio codec, it's better than MP3 in quality to size ratio.
Actually, almost every other lossy codec is better than old and crusty MP3.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

_mental_ wrote:Sure, but what's the point to use MP3 for new content?

Define "new content". I often download music in MP3 format and use it with Doom as-is. Why convert it? It works, after all.
Despite all the rumors and fake news, MP3 is far from dead and a lot of online content is provided in this format, simply because it's ubiquitous and most widely supported.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Graf Zahl wrote:Define "new content".
I meant something composed from scratch and then compressed for distribution. Of course repackaging of lossy source (MP3 or not) will only make it sound worse.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

_mental_ wrote:Oh, WMA files... Then they were "broken" since 3.0 because of FMOD Ex removal.

I suggest you to stop using formats like WMA or MP3. Switch to OGG/Vorbis which provides better quality for the same bitrate.
This won't cause you too much troubles if you have uncompressed audio tracks.
So WMA files don't work now? Why would you drop support for this? Half of my CD's I ripped to my system are in this format. :-/

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”