Splatterhouse 3D TC - 3 Episodes!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Splatterhouse 3D - Episode 1

Post by ImpieTwo »

Thanks for the tut, man. I think I got it working and I've updated the demo.
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Great mod! I'd heard of the Splatterhouse series before and knew a few things about it, but I had never played it. This mod made me actually try the series out. Are future episodes going to be based on the second and third games?

Regarding lighting options, I found that turning Gamma Correction down all the way and setting the sector mode to Dark worked pretty well.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Updated the fist for widescreen. Sort of. Since I can't draw the rest of the arm, I decided to do a VR thing with the arm vanishing into the foreground, so that screen width is no longer relevant.
Janus3003 wrote:Great mod! I'd heard of the Splatterhouse series before and knew a few things about it, but I had never played it. This mod made me actually try the series out. Are future episodes going to be based on the second and third games?
Episode 2 will be based on a mix of the Japanese and US versions of part 2 for the genesis (and probably more of my old screenplay stuff). I don't know what I'll do for 3 yet. I was hoping to do a community episode if other mappers wanted to join in, but last time i tried that it fell through.
Janus3003 wrote: Regarding lighting options, I found that turning Gamma Correction down all the way and setting the sector mode to Dark worked pretty well.
That screenshot looks pretty nice, but gamma correction basically just tints the screen darker, not the environment. The ambient lighting option was removed because it was causing problems, so it's no longer an option in gzdoom. I guess if they really want they can decrease gamma to make it darker.
Attachments
RFISB0.png
RFISB0.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

I do believe ImpieTwo is the maker of those, yes. :P
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Bigger C wrote:
I do believe ImpieTwo is the maker of those, yes. :P
Yeah that's me. If you play the crappy old version, you can see that the doom version levels are remakes of the originals that I made for those games. I'll do the same with the second game for episode 2.

I host a handful of fun little games on there, like Valley of Gwangi and Stop That Tank.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Preview of Episode 2 has been added. Give it a whirl and tell me what you think!

It's October, so if you've been wanting to contribute a map to this, now's the perfect time.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Good fun. As with your other mods, it has a nice "complete package" feel to it rather than merely a bolt-on mod (although that does get lost quite a bit when the enemies and scenerey become much more Doomy). Progression through the maps is nice and logical. It's a shame that most of the new enemies only have front-view sprites, but completely understandable and, because it's consistent, it looks OK most of the time but if infighting happens (or a multiplayer game is possible) sprites facing you while attacking someone else look weird.

I'm also not convinced that the "virtual reality" fist works well; especially seeing as how none of the other HUD sprites are set up in that kind of way. However, again, I get why it's done like that.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Enjay wrote:Good fun. As with your other mods, it has a nice "complete package" feel to it rather than merely a bolt-on mod (although that does get lost quite a bit when the enemies and scenerey become much more Doomy). Progression through the maps is nice and logical. It's a shame that most of the new enemies only have front-view sprites, but completely understandable and, because it's consistent, it looks OK most of the time but if infighting happens (or a multiplayer game is possible) sprites facing you while attacking someone else look weird.

I'm also not convinced that the "virtual reality" fist works well; especially seeing as how none of the other HUD sprites are set up in that kind of way. However, again, I get why it's done like that.
I think most of the enemies are unable to infight for that reason. I'm trying to remember the few that do besides the ghost maids, and i may disable it for all monsters, though they can still damage each other.

Also the fist is the only graphic where perspective is an issue, so that's probably why. I dunno what else I can do about it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ImpieTwo wrote:I think most of the enemies are unable to infight for that reason. I'm trying to remember the few that do besides the ghost maids, and i may disable it for all monsters, though they can still damage each other.
Understtod - but later on most of the monsters you encounter are based on Doom ones and they have both a different graphic styles and multiple angles. Are there any more splatterhouse monsters (or monsters in that style) available that could be used instead of the Doom ones? I find the contrast quite jarring and very unlike your usual approach to the game's bestiarry (one of the reasons that I like the Juno mods so much).
ImpieTwo wrote:Also the fist is the only graphic where perspective is an issue, so that's probably why. I dunno what else I can do about it.
I don't suppose there is an "uppercut" punch animation anywhere is there - if the arm came up from the bottom of the screen the edge problem wouldn't exist.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Enjay wrote: Understtod - but later on most of the monsters you encounter are based on Doom ones and they have both a different graphic styles and multiple angles. Are there any more splatterhouse monsters (or monsters in that style) available that could be used instead of the Doom ones? I find the contrast quite jarring and very unlike your usual approach to the game's bestiarry (one of the reasons that I like the Juno mods so much).
Wait, which ones are based on Doom monsters? I hope the mod isn't glitched out and using actual Doom critters instead...
ImpieTwo wrote:Also the fist is the only graphic where perspective is an issue, so that's probably why. I dunno what else I can do about it.
I don't suppose there is an "uppercut" punch animation anywhere is there - if the arm came up from the bottom of the screen the edge problem wouldn't exist.[/quote]
There might be, but it'd look weird to be uppercutting all the time.

I did kinda consider letting Rick do a thrust-kick as well, maybe if you punch while airborne.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ImpieTwo wrote:Wait, which ones are based on Doom monsters? I hope the mod isn't glitched out and using actual Doom critters instead...
Take your pick of these (and more).

Early on all of the monsters are mod-specific ones. Later on they are mostly Doom-based ones (though they have clearly been modified somehow because their deaths are more gory (or maybe that's just a built-in gore mod?).
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

That's really strange Enjay. People have done let's plays that didn't show that. Are you using Gzdoom?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the latest build. FUCK. New upload pending while I fix this mess.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, GZDoom official 3.6.0 and Git version, only the mod loaded (using -noautoload to make sure) and nothing particularly unusual about my setup that I am aware of.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Okay, update:

-Fixed that annoying error that replaces all the monsters midway through. Should now be all Splatterhouse, all the time.

- Revamped the Howler enemy so he resembles his Splatterhouse 2 counterpart.

- Changed Rick's voice to make it deeper.

- Added alt-fire kick for most weapons. Might clue people in to try alt fires and stop wasting shotgun ammo (lol), and keep people from blowing themselves up with bombs in a panic.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”