Reikall's Voxels.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
reikall

Re: Reikall's Voxels.

Post by reikall »

I just fixed them and added them to the 'softvoxels' set, which is the one you should be using if you're running the software renderer.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Reporting performance issue: on maps that have lots of burning barrels or torches (e.g. BTSX E2 MAP04), torch flames can have huge impact on framerate.
So for people with not so powerful hardware (like me) commenting out two of three torch flames for every torch in DECORATE may help, like this:

Code: Select all

ACTOR RV_BlueTorch : BlueTorch replaces BlueTorch
{
	states
	{
	Spawn:
		TSTD AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD 1
		{
			//A_SpawnItemEx("RV_BlueFlame", random(-5, 5), random(-4, 4), random(52, 55), 0, 0, 1);
			//A_SpawnItemEx("RV_BlueFlame", random(-4, 4), random(-5, 5), random(52, 55), 0, 0, 1);
			A_SpawnItemEx("RV_BlueFlame", random(-2, 2), random(-2, 2), random(51, 57), 0, 0, random(1,2));
		}
		loop
	}
}
Then torch fire will look less rich, but sufficient.

For mentioned map, leaving only one torch flame for each torch decreased actornum from 8500 to 3800.
reikall

Post by reikall »

Oh, sorry. I had a lightweight version in the software set, but then I took out the custom torches entirely. When I reconsidered and put them back in, I forgot all about it. I hadn't really been thinking about performance since voxels aren't terribly efficient anyway.
m8f

Post by m8f »

I hope this project is not stopped. It is so good.

I think with Reikall's Voxels it will be much easier for new people to get into Doom, Heretic and other games. Sprites without rotations just repel players who are accustomed to moder graphics, and voxels fix this problem with keeping old-school look at the same time.

What thoughts do you have about creepy Doom CEYE? If done with voxels, should it always look at the player, or rotate, or something in between?
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Just popping in to say I'm enjoying my first playthrough (ever) of Heretic with these voxels :wub:
reikall

Post by reikall »

m8f wrote:I hope this project is not stopped. It is so good.

I think with Reikall's Voxels it will be much easier for new people to get into Doom, Heretic and other games. Sprites without rotations just repel players who are accustomed to moder graphics, and voxels fix this problem with keeping old-school look at the same time.

What thoughts do you have about creepy Doom CEYE? If done with voxels, should it always look at the player, or rotate, or something in between?
:D Nah, I can't imagine quitting before I'm done. I just have trouble figuring out which thing I want to work on.

The 'evil eye' or whatever? Yeah, that's the other one I just don't know what to do with. I planned to make the symbol spin, then do the laziest possible thing and leave the eye itself a sprite (even if it's just a placeholder) just because I have absolutely no idea what to put on the other side of that eye right now. I could also do the second laziest possible thing and just have another eye on the back! :?
Pixel Eater wrote:Just popping in to say I'm enjoying my first playthrough (ever) of Heretic with these voxels :wub:
Whoa! That's a lot of pressure to put on my little voxels.

Thanks. :wub:
m8f

Post by m8f »

reikall wrote:Nah, I can't imagine quitting before I'm done.
Great!

About the other side of the eye - there may be a smaller version of green symbol (triangle and circle) on skin/fleshy background. Just a thought.
And with code like this it could act as a hell surveillance camera:
Spoiler:
Would be creepy enough.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Whoa! That's a lot of pressure to put on my little voxels.
Nah, they're plenty faithful. I don't feel like they're cheating me out of the real experience :)

The one thing I've changed (not relating to your voxels) is the additive translucency. I don't know why, I've just always found it ugly. I made this:
HrHx_Vanilla_Visuals2.pk3
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Modified from here.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

These look amazing! Can't wait until you're done! =)

May I ask how long it usually takes to make a particular voxel? I've never messed with it and was just curious. I'm assuming it's *way* faster than making sprites (especially for multiple perspectives)?
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Playing Heretic with these voxels and the fancy lighting is so good. I was wondering you could make a version that's compatible with Eriguns 2, though? Eriguns in Heretic is lovely and it would be great to play through with those weapons and all your pretty stuff too. :)
reikall

Post by reikall »

Sorry if I disappeared. I've been working on Heretical Doom with my friend Ryuhi, who tells me I should share a preview of what I was working on, even though I'm not happy with it yet and I'll have to redo some of it now.
https://imgur.com/a/M55Kp
I was hoping to run it by the devs first, but Ryuhi says it'll be fine so it's all his fault and you should blame him for everything like I do.

Aside from that, I've touched up a lot of little things in Heretic, finished the torches in Strife, and gave Doom a much better options menu--which I plan to do to the others before I release them, so unfortunately that's not ready yet.
I was also considering combining them all into one mod (since I'm now a level 2 noob and I almost know some of the basic things now) because it would cut down on overlap, especially for mods that borrow sprites from other games.
I also have almost all of the switches done, but I still haven't figured out how to get them into an existing map. I just have one of the gargoyle faces left, then I'll release them as a resource pack so people can put them in their own maps if they like.

Overdue replies!
Sorry, haven't tried that transparency mod thing yet. How is it different from the new vanilla transparency display option? I actually forgot to mention that I designed my stuff for forced vanilla transparency.

These take me an embarrassingly long time. The small ones may take me an hour (including all the exporting, importing, file conversion, offsets, testing, etc.) and the large ones may have taken me upwards of 15-20 hours. I do like taking my time, though. I haven't really done any spriting using rotations (platformers are easy that way), so I can't compare.

Eriguns is on my backlog of mods to try, but I'll check it out very soon.
Last edited by reikall on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

lmao i take full responsibility for people being able to see your progress my dude. i think they look fantastic, but thats me
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi, Reikall, I converted some strife weapons to voxels (missile launcher, flamer and mauler), would you like to include them in your pack?
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Thanks for replying. I'm so impressed by your work and I can't wait to see your next release. :)
reikall

Post by reikall »

ramon.dexter wrote:Hi, Reikall, I converted some strife weapons to voxels (missile launcher, flamer and mauler), would you like to include them in your pack?
Sorry, I'm not taking contributions from anyone. I'd like to see them, though.

Also...I think you're using my energy pod voxels?
Hipnotic Rogue wrote:Thanks for replying. I'm so impressed by your work and I can't wait to see your next release. :)
Thank you very much!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”