Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.3.0]

Post by Caligari87 »

@Abba Zabba: The liberator uses a lazy ejection forward system like the FN F2000/FS2000. Spent casings end up in a tube, and only fall out if they're either pushed out by more rounds, or if you tilt/swing the rifle and dump them.

At least that's how I understand it.

Example of this type of system at 8 minutes in this video, and a more dramatic Liberator-like appearance at 9:20 and onward where he's fired several rounds and the brass all dumps out at once when he lowers the barrel:

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Abba Zabba wrote:Could the scope mode change the 'auto' option or add a toggle option like there was in the past? Pressing zoom not only requires another key press while I'm trying to focus on zooming in on something, but it also completely disables any ability to fire while scoped because fire and alt-fire adjust the scope's zoom level.
Check your hd_noscope settings. It should be 0 for normal behaviour, 1 for only while holding Use for the full HUD, and 2 for only while holding Zoom which sounds like what you're describing.

If you want a toggle, bind a key to hd_zoomon which overrides hd_noscope (which may have to be reset if you stop using hd_zoomon since it just toggles between default and only-pressing-Zoom).
redlock

Post by redlock »

Matt wrote:Redlock: No idea, and sounds at least as likely to be a GZDoom issue as an HD issue. Does it work in previous versions of HD on GZDoom 3.3.0? (or 3.3.1?)
Tried 3.2.5, 3.3.1, and redownloading HD — no luck with any of those. Weird issue, and not game breaking, but still something I'd like to figure out.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think I've managed to replicate it by messing around with the texture format settings under Display Options > OpenGL Options > Texture Options.

See if changing that helps any.

[2020-10-24 deleted not very helpful, surprisingly large screenshot.]
Last edited by Matt on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Lib casings still feel way too bouncy.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Can't use healing items in Heretic.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Heretic is 100% unsupported at this time.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Getting back into HD after a while... hoooly Jesus, I've been missing out on good stuff.

I never realized it until now, but this fits the "Lore Doom" mod I've been always looking for to the letter. A mod that makes the weird abstract environments of the UAC seem like a terrifying, unfamiliar, unfriendly place again, and makes the Doom experience seem like you actually are there- a human soldier with a dinky little carbine, some clips on your belt, and your wits, fighting the forces of Hell itself, not just controlling a bipedal M1A2 Abrams with a depleted-uranium shotgun against a bunch of cardboard cutouts with mounted .22 rifles and incendiary spitballs.

I've ran out of sidearm ammo and desperately fist-fought an Imp to the death, curled up in a corner to strip my armor and pat out the fires with my hands, and then be shot three, four times execution-style by a zombie soldier rounding the corner to investigate the fight he'd heard ten seconds before. And the whole time I was grinning like a moron. I've died countless times in E1M2 and E1M3 and each time I've wanted to come back and do it again right away.

This is flat-out my favorite mod of all time. It's the only one that's ever made me feel properly Doomed when I play it, and yet hasn't caused one single ragequit through that process.

EDIT: Minor question- do zombies need to reload? I've never let one live (or lived) long enough for an enemy trooper to empty his magazine on me.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

I'm still unclear as to what the front reticles for the Boss/Libby do. From what it sounds like it makes zooming for them switch between preset magnifications instead of fine-tuning it up and down?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Retraux Squid wrote:EDIT: Minor question- do zombies need to reload? I've never let one live (or lived) long enough for an enemy trooper to empty his magazine on me.
Yep! They definitely need to reload, although if I'm correct they never run out of spare ammo. It's easiest to catch if you can kite a shotgunner into missing you a few times at close range; they'll run away and start stuffing shells. They reload FAST so it's hard to catch them with their pants down, but super satisfying.

On the simple questions note; do enemies track where you last were, or do they know where you are at all times, Doom-style? I've never really been able to sneak up on anything if it's already aggro'd to me, unless I have a DERP to distract them.

8-)
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Bigger C wrote:I'm still unclear as to what the front reticles for the Boss/Libby do. From what it sounds like it makes zooming for them switch between preset magnifications instead of fine-tuning it up and down?
It makes the reticle grow with the zoom. Keep in mind that you have to start a new game for it to take effect. (for some reason)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Retraux Squid wrote:I never realized it until now, but this fits the "Lore Doom" mod I've been always looking for to the letter. A mod that makes the weird abstract environments of the UAC seem like a terrifying, unfamiliar, unfriendly place again, and makes the Doom experience seem like you actually are there- a human soldier with a dinky little carbine, some clips on your belt, and your wits, fighting the forces of Hell itself
Exactly! :D

The zombies do reload, but it's just practically unnoticeable unless they're fighting someone else or you're IDDQDing. (It's why they hadn't done so until fairly recently.)

Caligari: They will always know where their target is, just as a matter of coding. I could spend more effort to set their goals on a last-seen basis, but I don't really feel like adding in all those sight and sound checks and it's always struck me as being entirely in character that either (a) the monsters would have some kind of "spirit sense" to track the player or (b) the marines would be smart enough to take a good educated guess where their target would be going.

Whether the reticle is on the front or rear focal plane is part of how the scope is built, so it's equivalent to spawning with a ZM66 with no grenade launcher rather than just starting with it set on full-auto.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Apparently cyberdemons can run out of ammo too!
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

If you have full medikits but not full stimpacks, attempting to pick up a medikit will let you retrieve an unlimited amount of stimpacks from it. Here's video evidence.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Noted, will fix sometime on Saturday as I don't have access to my home computer tonight.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”