GZDoom 3.3.1 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

hikari47

Re: GZDoom 3.3.1 Released

Post by hikari47 »

Is bloom not working for anyone? I'm using the 64-bit version of 3.3.1 and the bloom effect is not working for me despite loading the lights and brightmaps Pk3s when I launch a game. It was working in 3.2.5 before switching over the newest version.

Quick edit: Never mind, maybe I was seeing things wrong or something with my settings might have diminished the bloom effect. But I'm noticing that the weapons I'm firing don't emit bloom, such as my shotgun or pistol fire.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

You are not imagining things; if I remember correctly, bloom was altered to not affect weapon sprites (to offset the unfortunate "glowing hands" look it'd normally have).
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It was probably the best solution. I used to get kinda blinded by weapon blooming before. Even though it's regrettable to lose it for the muzzleflashes. It looked nice on those.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Are there any plans for allowing customization of which overlays get blooms?
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

I don't think that is possible with how weapons are being rendered.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Matt wrote:Are there any plans for allowing customization of which overlays get blooms?

How do you imagine that to work? The bloom pass must be inserted between two layers, so the bottommost layer will always be affected - and that's the one where it doesn't look that great.
Larz1695

Post by Larz1695 »

There are a lot of menu options that are not explained in the wiki. Is there another place where these options are explained?
Zemakat
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

It seems that GZDoom 3.3.1's Mac Build is refusing to launch on my Macbook Air, and deems itself as "damaged and modified."

I am using the High Sierra version too, if that's helpful in case.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Could you please execute the following command in Terminal and post its output?

Code: Select all

shasum -a 256 ~/Downloads/gzdoom-bin-3-3-1.dmg
Of course path to disk image should be changed accordingly if it was saved to a different folder.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

_mental_ wrote:Could you please execute the following command in Terminal and post its output?

shasum -a 256 ~/Downloads/gzdoom-bin-3-3-1.dmg
Of course path to disk image should be changed accordingly if it was saved to a different folder.
It's not the disk image. It's the app. Howsoever, even if it's the disk image or app, the same "shasum -a 256" command applies, right?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Remaker wrote:It's not the disk image. It's the app. Howsoever, even if it's the disk image or app, the same "shasum -a 256" command applies, right?
We are offer only one download for macOS bundled as a disk image. There is an application inside it indeed.
In other words, it's a single file named gzdoom-bin-X-Y-Z.dmg where X, Y, Z are parts of version number.

I don't think it's really necessary but here is the step by step guide.
  • Download gzdoom-bin-3-3-1.dmg
  • Open downloaded file to mount it
    gzdoom_dmg_content.png
  • For testing purposes you can run GZDoom directly from there
  • You should see this window
    gzdoom_gatekeeper.png
  • Select 'Don't warn me...' checkbox and click 'Open' button
It works for me™

The first step to investigate your problem is to check downloaded file with the command from my previous post.
It should output one line like this

dc81853ad6b1e0bc8157b13e0243d50e826e8e7d69a42691cb15420cf8644e5d  gzdoom-bin-3-3-1.dmg
The part before filename must be exactly the same. If it's not, downloaded file was corrupted somehow.
If it's the same, open disk image, drag GZDoom to some folder like /Applications, and execute the next command in Terminal

pkgutil --check-signature /Applications/GZDoom.app
It will output some text. The second line is the most important one. It should be

Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

_mental_ wrote:
Remaker wrote:It's not the disk image. It's the app. Howsoever, even if it's the disk image or app, the same "shasum -a 256" command applies, right?
We are offer only one download for macOS bundled as a disk image. There is an application inside it indeed.
In other words, it's a single file named gzdoom-bin-X-Y-Z.dmg where X, Y, Z are parts of version number.

I don't think it's really necessary but here is the step by step guide.
  • Download gzdoom-bin-3-3-1.dmg
  • Open downloaded file to mount it
    gzdoom_dmg_content.png
  • For testing purposes you can run GZDoom directly from there
  • You should see this window
    gzdoom_gatekeeper.png
  • Select 'Don't warn me...' checkbox and click 'Open' button
It works for me™

The first step to investigate your problem is to check downloaded file with the command from my previous post.
It should output one line like this

dc81853ad6b1e0bc8157b13e0243d50e826e8e7d69a42691cb15420cf8644e5d  gzdoom-bin-3-3-1.dmg
The part before filename must be exactly the same. If it's not, downloaded file was corrupted somehow.
If it's the same, open disk image, drag GZDoom to some folder like /Applications, and execute the next command in Terminal

pkgutil --check-signature /Applications/GZDoom.app
It will output some text. The second line is the most important one. It should be

Came in to tell that it works now. Opening it from the disk image was good for it. Thank you, _mental_.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Will GZDoom run fine when copied to some folder? For me it does, so I’m curious how you managed to break application integrity.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

_mental_ wrote:Will GZDoom run fine when copied to some folder? For me it does, so I’m curious how you managed to break application integrity.
I didn't copy it to a folder. I downloaded the disk image again, and opened GZDoom from there, and it just...it worked again.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Remaker wrote:
_mental_ wrote:Will GZDoom run fine when copied to some folder? For me it does, so I’m curious how you managed to break application integrity.
I didn't copy it to a folder. I downloaded the disk image again, and opened GZDoom from there, and it just...it worked again.
Probably had a little bit of an internet hiccup when you were downloading it. I've had a few files corrupted like that in the past, and it still rarely happens to me today.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”