HellCraft v0.2.0

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Accensus

HellCraft v0.2.0

Post by Accensus »

Some of you may have seen that one proof-of-concept project I've been working on in ZDoom's Discord. Well, here it is. Hardly finished, but playable.
I present to you...

---DOWNLOADS---
Beta [Last update: 06/5/2018] (GZDoom 3.3.x or above required.)
NOTE: To load the mod after downloading, add the .zip file to your load order. No need to unpack.

MOD IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED!

What this mod is about:
  • Strategy and swiftness. It's essentially part-tower defence and part-ye olde RTS.
  • Summoning a big enough army to defeat the big bad enemy Nexus.
  • Particles. Lots of particles. Bump up your particle limit.
  • Support for custom buildings, units, and maps.
Very important things to note before asking me about them:
  • Currently there is NO multiplayer support. Ironic, I know. This may or may not change in the future. It's uncertain, so don't ask me about it.
  • Units cannot be selected! I did attempt it, but the current AI is pretty dumb. This is lower priority right now, but might get to fixing it someday. We'll have to see.
  • The AI is [censored word]. I'll probably have to rewrite it for units in the future. My knowledge is not that advanced, so don't expect a miracle.
  • I am by no means a good mapper. There is currently only 1 map. If you want maps, you'll have to provide them yourselves. I'll gladly add them to the mod.
  • This is a BETA VERSION! It will probably have bugs, the balance will likely be non-existent, and some things will be placeholders. This means I will not bump the thread for minor fixes.
  • Read the F.A.Q. for the rest.
Extra keys you'll need:
  • Reload: Cycles the unit/building.
  • Zoom: Cycles the category.
Planned stuff:
  • Make certain buildings spawn a special unit every x seconds. This is to make buildings by themselves more useful.
  • Upgrades, maybe.
  • Better and more specialized units instead of vanilla.
Screenshots.
Spoiler: Videos. Caution: may contain outdated material!
Spoiler: F.A.Q
Spoiler: Known Issues
Last edited by Accensus on Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Shadelight

Re: HellCraft v0.0.0

Post by Shadelight »

The particle effects are pretty stunning.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Hello!

i just played the mod and got a bit of a feel for it so here is what i think:

- All models look really good and so does the particles.
- I noticed that the nexus takes a good time to build and that the starter turrets generaly preffer shoting my buildings then actualy fireing at enemys :roll:
- The vaspene gas come in a bit slow in my opnion. i don't know how the balance works with starcraft but you generaly have a lot more metals then vaspene.
- The current enemys even with somewhat suicidal turrets are very easy to deal with. makeing larger waves or changeing them is a good idea.
- While i like the timer on top of the oponents nexus. i think it would be a better fit on the HUD as a "Next wave" or "Activation" timer.
- If there is a way to make units myself i did not find out how. (Edit:Just read is not inplemented yet.)

Edit of edit: BTW i did not have frame drops with playing even with about 10 or so turrets going on at the same time
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Thanks for the feedback!

The spawn times for the buildings would be fixed for the next update.
Vespene is mined slower. Look for other vespene geysers on the map.
The HUD thingy is a nice idea, I'll see how to implement it.
And there is a way to make units and buildings, but I'll update the documentation for that tomorrow.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

This is cute, if it was fun screwing around in it at this stage then I have high hopes for later on!

Some notes:
-The HUD being at the top of the screen was slightly irritating, if possible could it be moved to the bottom?

-The Buildings need to be named somehow both in the HUD and when built, I was constantly making repeats of stuff I already had because I don't know all the pictures. And, w/o distinguishing features it's hard to tell what you have. Scratch this, I was in software mode. Given that things are likely to be spread out, maybe build building healths into the HUD somehow?

-Would mini-timers over in-progress buildings be possible?

-It's possible to pick up and use Chainguns from Chaingunners you spawn.

[quote=Lud]Units cannot be selected![/quote]
Not really sure what this means, but I hope I didn't hit it with any of my points here.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

So it's like plants vs zombies but a doom mod?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

isaacpop23 wrote:-The HUD being at the top of the screen was slightly irritating, if possible could it be moved to the bottom?
I'll have to start a poll. Originally the HUD was on the bottom, but I moved it to the top cause it seemed better. (Minerals/Vespene counter will stay on top, though.)

EDIT: Poll started!
isaacpop23 wrote:-The Buildings need to be named somehow both in the HUD and when built, I was constantly making repeats of stuff I already had because I don't know all the pictures.
Will add. Honestly didn't consider that when making the mod, lol.
isaacpop23 wrote:-Would mini-timers over in-progress buildings be possible?
Due to the number of buildings and particles, it would be better if this was integrated in the HUD. Gonna put it on the to-do list with lower priority.
isaacpop23 wrote:-It's possible to pick up and use Chainguns from Chaingunners you spawn.
Whoops, forgot to fix that.
isaacpop23 wrote:
Lud wrote:Units cannot be selected!
Not really sure what this means, but I hope I didn't hit it with any of my points here.
It means that units cannot be controlled in any way.
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:So it's like plants vs zombies but a doom mod?
Haven't played that one.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Poll started!
Probably a stupid question since I don't know how HUD making works, but since the default size HUD is currently unused, couldn't that be used to have the HUD on the top/bottom, and where the HUD is now be on the inverse side?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Possible. Though to be honest I could probably make it a user CVar instead. Didn't occur to me before, so I'll close the poll prematurely. Looks like everyone can be pleased in this scenario.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Quick update on the situation. There was supposed to be a release today, but power died. Shit. Gonna do my best to release 0.1.0 tomorrow (if power is back) and update the dang wiki with some documentation on adding new stuff.

As for the HUD, I've decided to move it to the bottom, but that's cause I'll need to utilize the top of the screen as well. Basically I can't provide a customizable HUD position for two reasons: it adds a lot more unnecessary maintenance, and the fact that there would hardly be any place for HUD movement. Practically all sides would have something on them. We'll see.
Accensus

Re: HellCraft v0.1.0

Post by Accensus »

Annnd v0.1.0 is out.

- Rebalanced building spawn times.
- Reduced unit spawn particles by 50%.
- HUD now displays the tags of what you've selected.
- Added description support to units and structures.
- HUD now displays time left until next wave.
- Fixed chaingunners dropping chainguns on death.
- Overall quality-of-life improvements in the HUD code.

As for the wiki, I'll document only a part of it atm due to plans to refactor some of the code. Not sure about what will change yet.

EDIT: Most of the wiki has been created. Unit and building creation remains undocumented for now. I plan on changing how units are stored, because it's kind of a pain to expand right now and may be prone to bugs.
RedoLane

Re: HellCraft v0.1.0

Post by RedoLane »

Just beautiful.
Accensus

Re: HellCraft v0.2.0

Post by Accensus »

Time for v0.2.0! Addressed a lot of issues and refactored some stuff. Time to update the wiki.

- Improved the filtering framework. Buildings no longer need IsFactory and units no longer need Factory. Buildings themselves list all the units spawned.
- Up to 72 constructed buildings are listed on the left of the screen. Resource buildings are excluded. Precise number depends on HUD scaling.
- Up to ~230 summoned units are listed on the right of the screen. Precise number depends on HUD scaling.
- Buildings and units' remaining construction time is now displayed on top of the respective icon.
- Fixed bug where you could spawn more than one pylon per mineral field.
- Fixed a bug where Photon Cannons would fire aimlessly.
- Reduced shield impact particles.

EDIT: Worth noting that the building/unit lists are tested on 1920x1080. No clue how it'll look like on smaller resolutions.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”