Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised May 8 2021]

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Enjay

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Nov 13 2016]

Post by Enjay »

I think trying to impose that rule would just be a headache. Most common links, by the sound of it, are https compliant anyway but are people really going to double check that their preferred image or file hosting site is https whenever they want to link to something here? Do the mods really want to spend their time dealing with errant posts of this nature (or the resultant queries if such a protocol was enforced via the board code)? I suspect not.

However, BFeely only suggests recommending using https compliance so I see no harm in it being a recommendation.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I hardly even notice the https warnings anymore and have been using https to browse both DRDTeam and ZDoom for the past couple of months now.

They're annoying, sure, but they're easy enough to ignore. (My browser is set to just pop them into a bar, though, I don't know what other browsers do - hopefully not put them in a dialog box like Internet Explorer did!)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

As an actual rule, no. If it would even present a security issue, it's probably inadvisable to link there regardless. I would think that any cross-protocol problems would be the responsibility of the user to deal with (E.G. not using a horrible browser). Possibly a phpBB issue, but that would reasonably be patched out before inconveniencing users became necessary. (... Right?)

I'm fine with a guideline/suggestion if it's really necessary at any point. However, this is the first time I've seen anyone mention a problem with it. :P
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Mar 14 2016]

Post by wildweasel »

wildweasel wrote:We're only a few days away from the first of April, which denizens of the Internet will most likely know is April Fools' Day. I'm sure there'll be some good fun to be had, but I'd just like to say before the proceedings, that I'd really like it if nobody tries to use April Fools as an excuse to be a jerk. The community's done a pretty good job of keeping the day clean and reasonable for the past several years, so hopefully we can keep up that record this year. Just keep the rules in mind when designing your prank.

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to pull the "project with misleading name" prank this year, remember that you're still beholden to the Project Posting Guidelines. =P
taufan99

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Aug 19 2017]

Post by taufan99 »

Hello! (Not-so-)old member here. So I've just got my account reactivated for several days, and I'm pretty happy about that, but another thing bugs me a lot.
For instance, I cannot look at attached files at threads and even use BBCode at all.
What have I done wrong?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

taufan99 wrote:Hello! (Not-so-)old member here. So I've just got my account reactivated for several days, and I'm pretty happy about that, but another thing bugs me a lot.
For instance, I cannot look at attached files at threads and even use BBCode at all.
What have I done wrong?
You were in the idlers group. You should be able to do things, now.
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

Rachael wrote:You were in the idlers group. You should be able to do things, now.
Thank you! That answers why I seemed to be non-existent before. :lol:
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I just want to ask, why isn't tiny and small sized fonts not allowed to be used? The small and tiny options while you reply are useless because of this.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

4thcharacter wrote:I just want to ask, why isn't tiny and small sized fonts not allowed to be used? The small and tiny options while you reply are useless because of this.
Tiny fonts were disabled because a lot of users were being annoying with them, trying to "hide" offensive text in a way that was not actually hiding anything. It's also an ease-of-access issue. Sadly, the forum doesn't remove the options to use those font sizes; it just refuses to interpret them.
zzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzz »

Anyone have any idea why I can't create new posts? There is simply no "new post" button anywhere to be found.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

zzzzzzz wrote:Anyone have any idea why I can't create new posts? There is simply no "new post" button anywhere to be found.
It depends highly on which forum. Users can't make new threads on News for reasons I'd hope are obvious. The Resources forum requires special permission.
GiraffeMan

Post by GiraffeMan »

How long does it usually take to get your thread approved?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

It more or less depends on the availability of a moderator.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Added a new rule: (Minor category)
  • Don't ask for modders to support older versions of ZDoom/GZDoom. Just because you can't run it on your potato hardware or ancient version of OpenGL32.dll does not mean you should be asking modders to support, much less use these older versions. If you can't run it, upgrade your hardware, and upgrade your wrappers! Everyone should always run the latest version of GZDoom, whenever possible, and if you cannot do that, then you need to update your hardware so that you can. That's on you, not the modder.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Aug 25 2018]

Post by m8f »

GNU Kind Communication Guidelines. it is nice that these guidelines mirror many of the Official ZDoom Community Rules.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”