DESCENT - WIP Epic Singleplayer Map

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Summary of your Experience (PM Me for Now) - Preliminary Poll Closed

Poll ended at Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:38 pm

I'd rather not say
No votes
bad in a broken, unplayable way - 0/10
No votes
bad in a boring, uninteresting way - 2/10
No votes
generally misses the mark - 4/10
50%
pretty average; the expectation - 5/10
No votes
better than you expected - 6/10
No votes
enjoyable - 8/10
50%
significantly exceeded expectations - 9/10
No votes
good, well-done - 10/10
No votes

Total votes: 2

SiMpLeToNiUm

DESCENT - WIP Epic Singleplayer Map

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

UPDATED SCREENSHOTS BELOW!!!

LINK: Hosted on Dropbox

Update Log:
Spoiler:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

This is to be my first public release of pretty much any Doom-related creation I've ever concocted. I've lurked on Doom forums and such for many, many years.

Keep in mind the following:
This is not my first map, but the first one I've ever shown people.
It's not totally completed; you can finish it, but every area is not completely final/implemented how I envisioned.
It's large, so it might lose your interest.
There are some things that might work differently than the usual Doom map or WAD, or might function only in a way that makes sense to me. Be prepared for and please comment on this.
It has an unusually large filesize of 5MB, 3 of which come from one sound file that is the level's music in .OGG format. It is my own composition. I apologize for the size.
The IWAD is DOOM.wad
The level is E1M1.
It was created with GZdoom and vanilla gameplay in mind.

Finally, please give me some good, constructive feedback.

Don't hestitate to be rough.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

LINK: Hosted on Dropbox
Last edited by SiMpLeToNiUm on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 84 times in total.
Zen3001

Re: My First Public Map (Oh God, I Know)

Post by Zen3001 »

hatakethecopyninja wrote:It was created with GZdoom and vanilla gameplay in mind.
is it vanilla doom compatible or not?

about the map it's nice, looks good I like the size just had took a while to find the ey and switches.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Zen3001 wrote:is it vanilla doom compatible or not?
Yes, if you mean Doom running through GZdoom. As for true vanilla ports like Chocolate Doom, no idea. What I really meant by vanilla was gameplay and compatflags. You can play it without mouse look, jumping or crouching. I would advise against software mode though. I think the level size causes performance to tank.
Last edited by SiMpLeToNiUm on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

I just checked it myself, you seem to be using some gzdoom format which means it's only going to work with gzdoom and since I didn't notice any gzdoom feature being used I think it should have been possible and more useful to use doom2 format.

what ever after looking at the map from gzdoombuildert I noticed that the one door I couldn't open was just a wall.
Please try avoiding that in the future, I spent 10 minutes trying to find a switch to open it.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

I thought about that door. Maybe I'll add a "locked" HudMessage or something. As for the format, you'll find it funny. The format is DB2's Zdoom Doom in UDMF format. The normal Doom2 format didn't seem to meet my need to have scripts (at least in DB2). Thanks for the feedback.

*EDIT - The door problem is addressed in an update. The format is now GZDBBF's GZDoom Doom 2 UDMF Format (albeit without any actual Doom 2 resources used).
rockthemike13

Re: My First Public Map (Being Updated)

Post by rockthemike13 »

Just got around to trying your level. After a long run of ruthless slaughter maps, this was a great change in pace, felt like vanilla gameplay with some really creative and unique designs.

I enjoyed it! I think my only complaint was as you mentioned, progression felt very confusing. I spent more minutes than I care to admit running around trying to figure out the next step of progression in the map. IMO this can be alleviated by markers (I liked your blue key indicator) and less confusing and large sprawls inside the keyed doors. I might not be in the majority on this one though, maybe I'm just slow :P

Also one of the first fights felt pretty clunky. I died because I got cornered by pinkies with nothing to kill them with.

Overall great map, I hope to see more of your stuff.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

The screenshots look nice. Will give it a go tonight.:)
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

rockthemike13 wrote:Just got around to trying your level...Overall great map, I hope to see more of your stuff.
Thanks for the feedback and criticism! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll try to address some of the issues you raised.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Just a PSA, this is still being worked on. Pushed out some substantial updates these past few days with more to come! Just gets better and better!
SiMpLeToNiUm

Re: My Wonderful WIP

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Updated screenshots!!!
Zen3001

Re: DESCENT - WIP Epic Singleplayer Map

Post by Zen3001 »

It's a pretty good map but I think it would be a good idea to start working on other things. It's allready in a pretty good state, leave it be
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Just played and finished this with Hideous Destructor, gotta say I really enjoyed it. Great detailing all around, really sells the theme. It's especially hellish because the decorations you used (trees, spikes) make horrifying screaming/gasping noises in HD.

By the way I disagree with Zen3001; you should keep working on this. The progression is mostly clear, if needlessly convoluted and backtrack-y at times. Maybe make some of the cause-and-effect of various unlocks and triggers a bit more obvious? One thing I'd particularly recommend is not putting required progression behind secret unmarked walls! I felt like I often had to hump everything to find hidden doors to continue. Also there's a few instances of split skull switches where each side seemed to do something different. Not a fan of that, use two switches instead if you need separate triggers. Encounters were generally fine except for the horde / slaughter traps, which I mostly ran away from because the HD player is squishy. Those seemed a little out-of-character compared to the relatively light and technical encounters throughout the rest of the map.

8-)
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Foreword:
Spoiler:
These next responses are mostly in regards to Cali's comments:
Spoiler:

Return to “Levels”