Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

HexenMapper

Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by HexenMapper »

Zdoom / GZDoom: I propose WASD bindings by default, and disabling Sprite Smoothing by default.

Its fine to have no modern bindings, but then why are sprites smoothed by default? Personally I would like to see modern bindings but with retro default look - catering to the modern gamer who appreciates what doom looked like before sprite smoothing and texture filtering.

This way newcomers don't get the wrong idea about what doom should look like. Its also nice to not have to wade through settings to get it looking vanilla. If the default bindings are vanilla, the default graphic settings should also be.

Full modern bindings I would love: (although anything past WASD is probably just my personal preference - not sure how many others play exactly like this)

W: Move Forwards
A: Strafe Left
S: Move Backwards
D: Strafe Right

R: Reload
C: Crouch
Space: Jump
E: Use

Ctrl: Use Item
Z: Previous Item
X: Next Item
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Caligari87 »

This has been turned down several times in the past. I believe the reasons are twofold:

A) Not everyone uses WASD even if it is widely accepted, and so it shouldn't be made the default (for example, I use Ctrl for crouch instead of C, and the [ ] Enter controls for inventory). Classic controls are the way the game was originally set up, so GZDoom's default config maintains tradition. There is some discussion happening about having preset control schemes so people can switch to WASD or other common ones like ESDF or QWES. If anything that'll be what happens.

B) Without filtering turned on, there's little out-of-the-box differentiation for what GZDoom can do. Having some extra effects turned on by default sets GZDoom apart visually for new players.

8-)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Though I technically agree that a ton of defaults would be better off changed, I don't think it's possible for us to come to anything resembling a consensus in a forum thread. :P

[EDIT] The idea of selectable control presets was brought up a couple of times, though, and that's a pretty great idea.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Caligari87 wrote:Without filtering turned on, there's little out-of-the-box differentiation for what GZDoom can do. Having some extra effects turned on by default sets GZDoom apart visually for new players.
Hmm interesting, so its a vanity thing... wanting to seem different and having flashy features over other ports.

I'm gutted that new players will experience the smoothed sprites. I find them hideous, and some new player may think this is how doom is supposed to look. :cry:
Last edited by HexenMapper on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

Caligari87 wrote:Without filtering turned on, there's little out-of-the-box differentiation for what GZDoom can do. Having some extra effects turned on by default sets GZDoom apart visually for new players.
This is anecdotal, but I've seen people say they don't want to use the GL renderer because the sprites are blurry and they didn't realize that it can be disabled.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I agree, it doesn't look impressive, it just looks blurry. If you have to have texture filtering enabled by default, at least enable high quality resizing as well (though I too prefer neither enabled)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

This is not the ZDoom source port with the option to switch the renderer to OpenGL. This is GZDoom. It's all about OpenGL stuff. So it makes sense that, by default, it doesn't go for a "vanilla" look.

Besides, newcomers are probably used to texture filtering from modern games, and they might find the pixel-y look too ugly for them. So I don't see that being a problem.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Trusty McLegit wrote:though I too prefer...

Should we run a survey to find out what the majority opinion is?
One thing I have learned in the last few days is that the common user ticks quite differently than the people who are active here in the forum.
interestingly, in quite the opposite direction I would have expected. It seems like the vast majority has absolutely no attachment to old things and this falls right into the same slot.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Personally I prefer the unfiltered, blocky pixelated look for low res art like Doom's original assets.

Yeah, running a survey would be a good idea.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Someone already did here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... trilinear/

Also other modes gave problems on very old cards.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That's Doomworld though, and to consider it a surprise that the poll would turn out any way other than the way it did would be foolish, considering the MO of the majority of the users on the site is to favor anything that is more vanilla-like.

However, I can say from my own personal experience that I, too, prefer that look, and run GZDoom without filtering enabled.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Selectable presets would be nice. It'd let you try out a few different "looks" quickly and would let the player experience the graphical capabilities of gzdoom without pouring through all the unclear menus.
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

A poll would be an excellent idea.
I myself, have always, for the many years I've used GZDoom, had texture filtering disabled. I do know that there is a diminutive amount of people who do prefer filtering on, due to the sharp and "jittery" appearance of the pixels, and that's completely understandable.
But I'd honestly say, when it comes down to it, a poll would make for a great consensus on whether or not filtering should be enabled by default.
As for the bindings, I love the idea of selectable presets, such as a "modern" one, to which the OP is proposing. And then, a preset that would perhaps be called "traditional." And thus with those, allowing new players to have an easygoing choice to make.
Last edited by nazakomu on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

I also think a poll here would be a good idea.
Personally, I think first time users should navigate through the options to see what sort of things GZDoom is capable of, instead of potentially getting put off by how different it looks on their first time running it.
For as long as I've played GZDoom, I've played it without the filters and can't help but cringe a little when I see screenshots and youtube videos with them enabled purely because the player either doesn't know how to turn them off, or thinks that's how it's meant to look, since it's turned on by default
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Graf Zahl wrote:Should we run a survey to find out what the majority opinion is?
Please yes!

Although it seems like a consensus so far in this thread, no one seems to be against disabling sprite smoothing by default.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”