GZStats: A quick rundown

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZStats: A quick rundown

Post by Rachael »

Michaelis wrote a nice stats script for Python that works much better than the one I originally wrote. We're in the process of integrating that, now.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've gone ahead and merged in _mental_'s prompt, bumped the stats check number, and redirected to the new Python script.

I haven't implemented a user-friendly message yet, though. If I do it, I would use Matt's as a template, minus the Microsoft/FBI/etc namedropping, but I'll have to use sprintf to form the string since that's the only way I know of how to do it. If anyone has a better way, then this is your chance to chime in before I go forward with that. I'm pretty sure Graf will be relieved to have all of this finished.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks.

Concerning the new release I am still having to do some cleanup work on the alphatextures. More about that in the developer forum.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

I have a question: is there a way to detect some malicious user sending his info multiple times on purpose to skew statistics?
Because I was messing with gzdoom.ini today, and ended up mindlessly pressing "Yes" on rundown dialog, and sended info three times. :?
I'm not malicious, just inattentive.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Obviously we won't go into details here because the more we tell about the process the easier it will be for 'malicious' users to manipulate it, but generally, yes, it is possible to detect if some IP is spamming the service and once we know it's easy to discard such data when reviewing the results.

So there is no point in running a manipulated EXE that continuously sends data to the service. The traffic load alone would be sufficient to detect this and act on it.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

Suggestion: Show the actual data in the dialog box that pops up. I.e. "CPU: i5 4200U, cores: 2(4) ...". This would actually make me trust the dialog more.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The main problem with that is that at the point where we know this data, in particular the renderer info, the fullscreen display is already up but the box will have to be shown before that happens. But at that point we cannot show the data.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Kroc wrote:Suggestion: Show the actual data in the dialog box that pops up. I.e. "CPU: i5 4200U, cores: 2(4) ...". This would actually make me trust the dialog more.
This will be misleading because this information isn't sent to stats server, only number of CPU cores in the given example.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

_mental_ wrote:
Kroc wrote:Suggestion: Show the actual data in the dialog box that pops up. I.e. "CPU: i5 4200U, cores: 2(4) ...". This would actually make me trust the dialog more.
This will be misleading because this information isn't sent to stats server, only number of CPU cores in the given example.

What it actually sends is three numbers: One (1-12) for the operating system (where Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1) are grouped together, one for the number of cores and one for the renderer configuration (1-6, where 1, 2 and 6 are software renderer settings and 3,4,5 are OpenGL settings.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Would it be unreasonable to ask for a real-time reports page on gzstats.drdteam.org? Perhaps with the option to show the raw data received by the server, and a table to show the translated stats?
I reiterate my frequently-unanswered question: Why? Graf and Rachael have said and shown exactly what the survey sends. If you don't believe THAT, then why would you believe a popup window that they could make say literally anything? Review the source code and/or build it yourself if you're so worried. There's literally ZERO reason to make a request like this.

8-)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes, real-time is completely out of the question. I would not mind showing delayed aggregates for those curious, though.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I think everyone would be okay with that. It'd certainly be better than a placeholder page at the location the game is contacting :D

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I would like to see what I'm sending, but for a different reason: as a very unsophisticated and lazy hardware user I'd like to know what I'm using myself! (Turns out I had to upgrade to Debian Stretch to even use OpenGL 4???)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

On the 4rh developer mode (spammy) it will show you exactly what it sent to the server.

Return to “Developer Blog”