Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
argv

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Post by argv »

I've fixed some bugs in Brutal Heretic RPG, and tweaked the gameplay to make it (in my opinion) a bit more fun. If anyone's interested, you can find this in my Bitbucket repository.
Last edited by argv on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Good day So far I am enjoying playing brutel hexen and commend you on this fine piece but as others have stated this does not feel like I finished mod.

I have only just scratched the surface of this mod and so far as someone else has pointed out the hammer of retribution does damage the user when you smack a enemies face with it also when you combo with any melee weapon and a shield in V1 the shield attack can damage you as well. I tested this by simply htting a wall with the 2 hit+shield hit combo attack and it was damaging me in the process.

Thats all I have so far but I will continue to add more feedback the more I play.

oh and pretty please don't stop working on this fine gem despite its quirks I am enjoying this mod alot :D
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

hammer oz wrote:Good day So far I am enjoying playing brutel hexen and commend you on this fine piece but as others have stated this does not feel like I finished mod.

I have only just scratched the surface of this mod and so far as someone else has pointed out the hammer of retribution does damage the user when you smack a enemies face with it also when you combo with any melee weapon and a shield in V1 the shield attack can damage you as well. I tested this by simply htting a wall with the 2 hit+shield hit combo attack and it was damaging me in the process.

Thats all I have so far but I will continue to add more feedback the more I play.

oh and pretty please don't stop working on this fine gem despite its quirks I am enjoying this mod alot :D
IIRC that self damage is caused by an explode effect placed on the melee attacks, I remember when i started adapting the brutal heretic mod it was in place on the kick attack as well.

if you assign it a custom damage type and make the player immune to that, or remove the explode effect entirely, it should fix it.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

argv wrote:I've fixed some bugs in Brutal Heretic RPG, and tweaked the gameplay to make it (in my opinion) a bit more fun. If anyone's interested, you can find this in my Bitbucket repository.
I think I will use your bitbucket version but to decide which one is suitable for me (fixes or gameplay) I need to know the changelog. Anyway thx for the work and fixes!
What about Hexen? No fixed versions for gzd 3.2 + out there? :(

Also the question to everyone: In this mod there are buffed weapons, and what about enemies? Whether they are harder to kill, or tougher maybe? Or not? (I mean system like in Brutal Doom - stronger enemies plus stronger weapons with additional levels of difficulty.)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Mere_Duke wrote:
argv wrote:I've fixed some bugs in Brutal Heretic RPG, and tweaked the gameplay to make it (in my opinion) a bit more fun. If anyone's interested, you can find this in my Bitbucket repository.
I think I will use your bitbucket version but to decide which one is suitable for me (fixes or gameplay) I need to know the changelog. Anyway thx for the work and fixes!
What about Hexen? No fixed versions for gzd 3.2 + out there? :(

Also the question to everyone: In this mod there are buffed weapons, and what about enemies? Whether they are harder to kill, or tougher maybe? Or not? (I mean system like in Brutal Doom - stronger enemies plus stronger weapons with additional levels of difficulty.)
The monsters are changed a bit, but for the most part they're just beefed up a bit to match the stronger weapons. Saberclaws and weredragons did have some pretty big changes to them though in terms of their attacks
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Ryuhi wrote:The monsters are changed a bit, but for the most part they're just beefed up a bit to match the stronger weapons. Saberclaws and weredragons did have some pretty big changes to them though in terms of their attacks
I haven't played the original mod, but yours seems to be balanced well, I've enjoyed it much and have to thank you for the work :)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. When played with the monsters addon, it should essentially be considered a child mod of this one after all :)
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Just a few words about Hexen RPG mod, if someone is interested.
The current version is v4. (There is no link on the 1st page, Seidolon posted a link in a message a few pages back.)
And there is a bug in this version with underwater Stalkers: they just swim and never pop up from underwater to attack.
I have fixed this, and post a link to fixed v4 here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/csplvgk8g ... RPG_V4.pk3
And a showcase video of this cool mod:
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Mere_Duke wrote:Just a few words about Hexen RPG mod, if someone is interested.
The current version is v4. (There is no link on the 1st page, Seidolon posted a link in a message a few pages back.)
And there is a bug in this version with underwater Stalkers: they just swim and never pop up from underwater to attack.
I have fixed this, and post a link to fixed v4 here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/csplvgk8g ... RPG_V4.pk3
And a showcase video of this cool mod:
Thanks for the fix! That always kinda bugged me. Also, what mapset are you using in the video?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Nevermind. It's Hexcity. I'm braindead.
Jswoods4

Post by Jswoods4 »

Hello,

I am trying Brutal Hexen V4 with GZDoom 3.2.5.0, and it runs until I get to the screen that asks me which weapon I want to start with. In the videos that I saw, a screen came up saying

Choose your weapon - press 'ctrl or mouse1' on your weapon of choice for more info.

the mouse pointer was a small sunlike icon, and you could select Timon's axe, ethereal sword or gem mace,

I do not have any mouse pointer. Brutal Heretic works fine. Any ideas?
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Brutal Hexen (and Heretic) were written quite a few GZdoom versions ago, so there are a lot of thing that might not work correctly with more recent versions. Unfortunately, the project is essentially discontinued, so it would need an update that improves compatibility with newer structures.

without an extensive update to the mod, it wont be compatible with newer engine builds, unfortunately.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Jswoods4 wrote:Hello,

I am trying Brutal Hexen V4 with GZDoom 3.2.5.0, and it runs until I get to the screen that asks me which weapon I want to start with. In the videos that I saw, a screen came up saying

Choose your weapon - press 'ctrl or mouse1' on your weapon of choice for more info.

the mouse pointer was a small sunlike icon, and you could select Timon's axe, ethereal sword or gem mace,

I do not have any mouse pointer. Brutal Heretic works fine. Any ideas?
Need more information. On my side, Brutal Hexen (Seidiolon's version) with g3.2.5 works just fine.
Raptoid

Post by Raptoid »

I noticed with the Etherial sword on V4 sometimes the combo doesn't start, sometimes it stops after two swings, sometimes it goes on forever, and generally is kind of random. Is this intended or is there some kind of trick to it? I'll be tring to cut down a bunch of enemies and it gets me killed sometimes.
Jswoods4

Post by Jswoods4 »

Hey everybody,

I found out that you can change the setting in mouse options->enable mouse in menus from touchscreen-like to YES, and that fixes the problem. Everything works fine now. Thanks for all of your help...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”