[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NathanVPer

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer - 1.4b, Only fools rush in

Post by NathanVPer »

Hey, ehm, i have a error with this mod, is this in ZDoom's 2.9 version: "Trailblazer_1.4b.pk3:decorate/items/berserk.txt unexpected... in definition of 'berserk portable', pls help me :( :( :(
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NathanVPer wrote:Hey, ehm, i have a error with this mod, is this in ZDoom's 2.9 version: "Trailblazer_1.4b.pk3:decorate/items/berserk.txt unexpected... in definition of 'berserk portable', pls help me :( :( :(
Do you get the error when using GZDoom 3.2.1?
SNobleJr

Post by SNobleJr »

Pillow, if you're still doing bugfixes: apparently, 1.4b broke the ammo display in Hexen.

Also, there's a small quality-of-life feature I've been meaning to ask about: would it be possible to add on-screen monster and secret counts? Having to bring up the map every time to check them is kind of inconvenient.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

No worries, the mod ain't left for dead in those terms. I did notice that issue myself; it's fixed on my side, I just need to get my ass in gear to fix some other things.

I don't wanna obscure hud with too much info, as it's already a bit crowded, and I never did mind to tab into map for that info. However, if it's a high need, I probably could add a toggle in menu which adds that info in top-left corner, then. I'll look into that~
SNobleJr

Post by SNobleJr »

Thanks, that's good to hear. And I appreciate the work you're putting into this.

EDIT: Also, thumbs up for the toggle. Customization options are always good.
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

[quote="wildweasel"][quote="NathanVPer"]Hey, ehm, i have a error with this mod, is this in ZDoom's 2.9 version: "Trailblazer_1.4b.pk3:decorate/items/berserk.txt unexpected... in definition of 'berserk portable', pls help me :( :( :([/quote]
Do you get the error when using GZDoom 3.2.1?[/quote]
Nope, on ZDOOM 2.8, but i solved the error by myself own, dowloading another version of the mod, the 1.3
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

We should really figure out why GZDoom doesn't run for you, because staying with such an old version of ZDoom is going to become much more limiting as time goes on.
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

I've been playing this mod for a long time, and I've loved every single gameplay I've spent through many map packs and monster mods (such as Colorful Hell) playing The Trailblazer.

If you're planning on updating this, PillowBlaster, I have a few suggestions.

The first one is minor and more on the aesthetic side and that's to update the third-person sprite models of Malcom Striker (such as him holding the various weapons available in the mod). The second suggestion is perhaps a new melee weapon (a chainsaw replacement of sorts, be creative in that department like maybe a motorcycle that Malcolm somehow manages to keep somewhere in his pants) so the good old Macheterang doesn't feel so lonely no more as well as a plasma-based ranged weapon (since this mod's inspired by 80's action films, something like the Westinghouse Phased Plasma Pulse rifle from the Terminator films). The third suggestion is sa bit of a rework on some of the weapons (like the Upgraded Sidekick pistol getting double the amount of shots per clipazine [say 32 compared to the basic pistol's 16] or the Chrome Justice being a mag-fed pump shotgun holding 15 shells [like the brand new Mossberg 590M introduced this year] before being upgraded to the drum-fed SPAS-12 lookalike holding 30 shells?).
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Sorry, I don't plan on adding anything further down the line - things already got complicated and hard to maintain, so as far as I can go are bugfixes, or maybe add some leftovers, if I'll feel like finishing them.

As of your requests, I am pretty happy with how things are working now, got more weapons and upgrades than I'd ever need, and making separate player skin for each held weapon and dual wield variation would be massive amounts of effort, which is not really worth it.

Most importantly, I don't feel like working on it without involvement of the person who invented the mod in the first place anymore, and it's in good position, feature-wise. Glad that you enjoy the mod, though. I should finally get that small fix patch out.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

For those who think posts were "deleted": They're now in the Gallery of Useless Bumps
and the Hall of Unpleasantness, respectively. We don't delete around here. Consider that a public service announcement.
guitardz
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by guitardz »

Does this play well with NC HUD? If not is there a patch somewhere?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

A shame it probably won't run properly on v3.2.5 (I haven't downloaded it yet, but still...)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

AvzinElkein wrote:A shame it probably won't run properly on v3.2.5 (I haven't downloaded it yet, but still...)
It works fine.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

wildweasel wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:A shame it probably won't run properly on v3.2.5 (I haven't downloaded it yet, but still...)
It works fine.
...I mean I might get error messages or the like if I tried it. *shrug*
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

If you're referring to the yellow text messages, those are references to things found in Hexen and Heretic. They are 100% harmless, and exist purely for compatibility with those 2 iwads. If you're playing it with Ultimate Doom/Doom2, you're missing nothing, as those references do not exist within Ultimate Doom/Doom2. You aren't missing gameplay features, you're not missing guns, you're not missing monsters, and no, your game will not crash and no, your computer will not die if you play this.

Stop worrying and just try it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”