[minimod][v1.6.2] Autoautosave

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

[minimod][v1.6.2] Autoautosave

Post by m8f »

2018 Cacowards Mini Mod Safari wrote:autoautosave is a must-have for anyone who frequently forgets to save across long periods of time but doesn't want to resort to savescumming, automating the saving process every X minutes under Y conditions. Extremely useful!
Autoautosave is a universal autosaver.
It works as a configurable checkpoint system.
It is designed to be compatible with any monster and weapon mod, and any map.

Download
Source code

Bonus:
- Johnny voice pack.

Features
  • autosave on various events: enemies alerted and killed, health or armor drops or rises, items are found, etc.
  • periodic autosave.
  • autosave on every event is optional.
  • some events have fine-tuning options.
  • optional screenshot taking when events happen.
  • three options for event reporting: console, on-screen, and voice.
  • interface for mod support.
Spoiler: Thanks to:
As always, feedback and bug reports are appreciated.
Spoiler: You may also like other saving-related mods made by other authors:
This mod is a part of m8f's toolbox.
Last edited by m8f on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 am, edited 61 times in total.
Someone64

Re: [WIP][v0.1] Autoautosave

Post by Someone64 »

How is mod compatibility with this thing? Could mods that change the Mastermind and Cybie, keys, powerups, etc easily break it?
m8f

Post by m8f »

Most of the events are universal. Changing monsters, keys, etc will just cause to some events to not happen. Autoautosave will not crash, it will just autosave less often. That's why I'll have to extend pickups, keys, and monsters events to other games and mods manually.

Edit 2018-03-31: now all events should work with any mod - if you notice game isn't saved when it should be - please tell me.
Last edited by m8f on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

m8f wrote:- player has less than 25 health.
Is it possible for the player to set this threshold? I would imagine there are people who want to autosave even at 10 hp for those long streches without healing items
m8f

Post by m8f »

Not yet, but I plan to make everything configurable. I just wanted to stabilize features before implementing options.
Edit: right now you can change it in ACS, if you are up to. This is controlled by healthLimit variable.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Here's a list of event's I'd like to see for a configurable universal autosave mod (this list may include things already implemented):
when player's health reaches certain level (or under, or over)
player's armor reaches certain level (or under, or over. both shouldn't be mutually exclusive)
time interval
key pickup (would be nice to have a separate addon that entirely replaces keys to be loaded after a mod that replaces keys)
kill any monster considered a boss
save on hotkey (yeah, GZDoom has its own for that but the first save requires naming)

There's also something interesting that the UAC Survival Pack mod did where it spawns its items beside certain types of item spawns which works universally. Maybe you could implement it in the same way and spawn an invisible item directly on the spawn spot that auto saves the game instead? This could be a solution to the mod compatibility problem.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Thanks for the list and for the compatibility suggestion! I'll look into it.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

How about a toggle? I wouldn't like it autosaving on some parts for more challenge, but there are some parts where we would find that an autosave would be neat, like the all monsters are killed and 5 mins. have passed.
m8f

Re: [WIP][v0.2] Autoautosave (+universal, +options)

Post by m8f »

Update:
Someone64 wrote:How is mod compatibility with this thing?
Done.
insightguy wrote:
m8f wrote:- player has less than 25 health.
Is it possible for the player to set this threshold?
Done.
Someone64 wrote: when player's health reaches certain level (or under, or over)
player's armor reaches certain level (or under, or over. both shouldn't be mutually exclusive)
time interval
key pickup
kill any monster considered a boss
save on hotkey (yeah, GZDoom has its own for that but the first save requires naming)
Done.
4thcharacter wrote:How about a toggle?
Done.
namsan

Post by namsan »

This mod is so great. It really improved my Quality of Life.
I was tapping quicksave key on every 20 seconds, but now I don't have to.
Thanks!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I have a really interesting idea for auto saving but it is probably out of the scope of this mod. There is a mod called Keymaster by JPL and a similar concept can be applied to auto saving. Basically, random enemies, items, or whatever else are assigned auto saver status. They have floppy disk icons floating over their heads. Murdering the monster or collecting the item with this status will auto save your game. Would be great fun for no save runs where you actually have to go and earn your autosaves when you turn off time interval saving.

If not, though, would be nice to apply the icon concept at least. So for example, you have the current feature set with certain items set to be auto save items, you could maybe have an icon floating over them making it easily understandable to the player that their auto save mod is working and that picking up this or that item will save the game.

Also, you should probably increase the threshholds for the health and armor stuff because ridiculous mods like Russian Overkill where 10000 health and armor can be easily attained are a thing. Not only that but it seems these can't be disabled.

EDIT: It seems compatibility with the Doomzone mod isn't so good. It doesn't seem to detect monsters with over 2000 health, it doesn't save on Cybie and Mastermind kill, and doesn't save on weapon pickup. Is it just the mod working in a strange way or autoautosaver not working?
m8f

Post by m8f »

namsan wrote:This mod is so great...
I'm glad that mod helps. Thanks for kind words.
Someone64 wrote:random enemies, items, or whatever else are assigned auto saver status
That's an interesting idea, but this will affect gameplay a lot, so I don't plan implementing this. Plus, saving in the middle of a battle under enemy fire isn't wise, and this inevitably will happen if random enemies' death will cause autosave.
Someone64 wrote:icon floating
I tried to make this mod as silent and unobtrusive as possible, and icons are out of scope of this mod.
Someone64 wrote:increase the threshholds
Will do.
Someone64 wrote:compatibility with the Doomzone
I'll investigate it.

Thanks for great feedback!
m8f

Post by m8f »

Someone64 wrote:It seems compatibility with the Doomzone mod isn't so good. It doesn't seem to detect monsters with over 2000 health, it doesn't save on Cybie and Mastermind kill, and doesn't save on weapon pickup. Is it just the mod working in a strange way or autoautosaver not working?
Strange, I receive autosaves both on weapon pickups and Cyberdemon kill with the Doomzone. Maybe you have not enough health or not enough time has passed since previous autoautosave? Please, take a look at options, there is "At least N seconds must pass before new autoautosave". Maybe you want to decrease this.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

So, this is the doom equivalent of this?

Would it be possible to have it autosave when a boss monster is alerted? Better yet, when ten or more monsters are alerted at the same time?
m8f

Post by m8f »

I don't know how autosave can warn player, if player isn't already warned by suspicious powerup or key :)
About saving when monster is alerted - I'll check if this is possible. If it is, it must be in Autoautosave.

Edit: totally possible.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”