No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod [1.4] (Mod DB)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MrJohnny

Re: No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod [1.1]

Post by MrJohnny »

Alrighty, fixed that one. Thanks for putting it out there!
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

Interesting concept, but for what it is, I don't think it goes far enough.

You should add the following switch (goes from 0-2):

0: Aside from the removal of blood and gore, leave textures alone.
1: Remove/replace explicitly satanic textures like pentagrams and inverted crosses, but otherwise keep things hellish with the skulls and whatnot.
2: Remove/replace everything considered "dark", like skulls, the icon of sin, "creepy" things, change the skull keys to different graphics, make the demons explicitly aliens etc.

Also, you should probably add an option to remove profanity in the game's text.

Adding those options would probably help those who would enjoy the mod unironically enjoy it more. Also have options for the amount of violence censorship for those parents who are comfortable with blood and gore but not satanic imagery for some reason.

Just my $0.02 . Feel free to reject these suggestions if you want to lol.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

I actually considered some of those options as well. I even tried making the censored textures optional, but I couldn't really figure out how to implement it. If I ever get my head around manipulating textures like that, I'll consider taking another look and adding more options. Good ideas, by the way. Thanks for sharing!
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

Also, equivalent textures and graphics for Freedoom, to a lesser extent Heretic and Hexen, and to an even lesser extent Strife and Hacx (I don't think those two games have "dark" or "demonic" textures, but I could be wrong)
MrJohnny

Re: No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod [1.2]

Post by MrJohnny »

No big changes, just a very small update which addresses a single silly bug that never should've been there. Take that, bug.
Star-X

Post by Star-X »

Any chance you could tweak this mod to work on Zandronum as well? I tried to do it myself, but I have no idea how to edit the txt files in the actors folder to actually, yknow, function on anything but GZDoom dev builds.

Mostly asking because Zandronum supports bots that aren't dumber than a sack of bricks, and also has better netcoding, in case I ever feel like playing multiplayer.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

I work VERY slow, so I feel more comfortable with sticking to a single engine. I generally just make stuff for GZDoom since it has so much more features and is often more flexible to work with. But since you asked, I'll see what I can do.
Star-X

Post by Star-X »

OK, so I've played through the entirety of Doom 1 and Doom 2 with this mod, and I've noticed a few bugs which mar an otherwise amazing mod:
  • 1. Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds don't count for the purposes of triggering end-of-level triggers or specific-enemy gates (not sure on the technical terms for those, but I'm specifically referring to E2M8, E3M8, E4M6, and E4M8; all 4 of those either end when you kill the boss monster, or have a gateway open up ONLY after said boss monster is dead). I'm 99% sure this is because they are one of only 4 enemies in Doom 1 and 2 who don't die in the normal fashion with this mod enabled; specifically their death animation is instead treated as if they were gibbed and therefore they don't actually count towards the end-of-level triggers the way that Barons of Hell do in the very few levels they are bosses in. Thankfully Doom 2 ditched most of that style of map, and the one map it still exists in, Map 30, uses a different kind of trigger for the boss, meaning every doom2.wad map is completable with the mod. Doom 1 however, required a fair whack of usage of the console command "finishgame" on the ending maps, and "noclip" for the maps in which cyberdemons were the locks keeping the doors shut. As this is potentially gamebreaking for anyone who isn't comfortable with console commands, I'd say this is a VERY important bug to fix.

2. Archviles don't seem to function properly. They res any dead demons nearby assuming corpses are enabled, but they don't seem able to actually directly hurt the player. This in turn makes them less a primary threat and more an annoyance, as the worst thing they can do is res a Baron of Hell, Mancubus, or Hell Knight, all 3 of which are almost never put near an Archvile in official WADs. As this is literally the first time I've played Doom 1 and 2's maps, it's possible that this behavior is actually correct for Hey, Not Too Rough difficulty, but given the lack of mentioning of it on the various Doom Wikis, I'm 99% sure it's a bug.

3. E4M5, and, I believe, several other maps, have frozen red waterfalls in a few locations. This isn't a problem in vanilla doom, but No UV replaces the blood pools with nukage; for whatever reason the red frozen waterfalls don't get changed with the blood pools, which in turn means the nukage seemingly spontaneously turns red in those locations. An easy fix would be to plop in the nukage waterfall into the texture slot that the red frozen waterfall occupies, but I leave you to decide how to best deal with it.

4. A minor issue, but Pain Elementals simultaneously have both a death animation and automatic gibbing when Extra Deaths is disabled. I say this because pain elementals explode in a ball of fire in the casting call, but simply burst into confetti in-game. Also, when Extra Deaths is enabled, they sometimes get the Cacodemon blowing balloon death animation. I dunno if that was intentional or not given the lack of Pain Elementals being mentioned in the description, so I figured I should point it out. While I'm at it, Cyberdemons, Arachnatrons, and Spider Masterminds are all missing death animations in the casting call; Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds both have all of their death animations replaced with a cartoon heart, while Arachnotrons show the first 2 or so frames before turning into a cartoon heart. Given the first bug I mentioned, it may be worth seeing about making some custom animations for those 3, so that they actually function properly.
Still a great mod, but I figured reporting these bugs might help make sure they get fixed :D
MrJohnny

Re: No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod [1.3]

Post by MrJohnny »

Wow, thanks for the lengthy feedback there! I've taken the liberty of fixing all of the things you mentioned. Well, the things that were supposed to be fixed from the get-go, anyway. The cartoon hearts were an intentional replacement for the violent images in the casting call, so nothing will be changed there unless someone sprites some new, clean death animations. There's just no other way around it, I'm afraid. As for the pain elemental, I wanted to add variety where I could, and since the cacodemon and pain elemental share similar traits, I gave them the same extra death (the balloon death). Anyway, 1.3 is up - enjoy!
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

the revenant looks naked without the blood on its legs
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Panzermann11 »

So basically this is Super Happy Funtime mode from Serious Sam HD The First Encounter but in Doom?
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

That's about the long and short of it, yes. :P
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

Is there a Pyroland (TF2) setting?
MrJohnny

Re: No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod [1.4] (Mod DB)

Post by MrJohnny »

Just put out an update. Just made things a little nicer under the hood and stuff. Converted to ZScript, got rid of clutter and just junk like that. Instead of making monsters die a specific death depending on whether they where killed by a bfg or plasma weapon type, they just die normally and randomly choose between death states. Not sure why I didn't just do this from the start. It should still be compatible with any weapon mod out there. Oh yeah, and it's on Mod DB now too!
Gorec

Re: No Ultra-Violence: An Anti-Gore Mod [1.4] (Mod DB)

Post by Gorec »

found a bug with cacodemon-when he dies with his normal death(not extra) u can shoot him,i linetargeted it and he had negative health(also works with corpse dissapearing),it affects autoaim,gzdoom 3.7.2 and 3.7.0 also on extra death it may stuck on decorations and spawn sparkles all the time

Return to “Gameplay Mods”