Commando Doom [Last Update] Last Page

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rsl

Re: [WIP][UPDATE] Here's a mod I made

Post by rsl »

Hmmm, I don't know... The idea of a simpler / bare bazooka or mortar-like launcher that you guys suggested surely blends well with the overall arsenal style, but the graphics that you showed IMO are less crisp than the mod's average, and would not fit very well with the rest of the tools (all graphics are from Build games :!:).

At this point, the best combination of ideas could be represented by the LameDuke RPG:
Spoiler: Lameduke RPG
It's single-barreled, not that much overused, and has a couple frames that allow to implement the lift-up animation - I think DukeWooze might have fun with that... :)
Do you agree it might be a good compromise? I'd really like to know what DukeWooze thinks about this. :3:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

woo, neat idea. but i hope that RPG was used to be in arsenals at veitnam wars or korean war.
niculinux wrote:I'd drop any flag, in fact, it think they would not with commando-military-themed-mod. :cry: I'd remove any flag :P. But then repeat, they could make room for a redneck inspired mod, like an hypothetical Redneck doo mumble mumble... :wink:
if that's the reason for classical american COD style "my country is kick ass!", i agree little bit. because maybe owners of the flag may happy, but other is doesn't. anyway i love whole part of the america, even north, canadians, also rednecks of course. i love their cultures. but i just don't like twisted patriotism thingies.

by the way, that flag is just a charm to make him awesome. there's no reason and nothing is offence but his histories, though.
niculinux wrote:Yes, yor Highness, maybe I don't wanna be annoying but I'd kindly "instist" on Commando Doom. :wink:
that wad's name is commando doom too. i just call commando for short words. otherwise, if you insist on dukewooze's classical mod, good for you.
because my mod is just for nothing but my own customized satisfactions and share 'em together. even i posted customized version of my other's mods at different threads. and for one reason, a sharing.

thanks for a reply, i wonder dukewooze will surprise about these ideas when he come back! :D

EDIT:
Spoiler: just for tribute, i hope you can see it and back to topic if you wanted to.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

A little late to the party but nonetheless, this is a great weapons set. What code can I remove to prevent acquired weapons & inventory from disappearing once the player is resurrected?
mutator

Post by mutator »

will this get any update soon? it's amazing mod, sorry I am years late to ask, just find this out
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Player resurrection? I've never seen a situation where the player gets resurrected. Did you add resurrection to the mod? I know there is a command. I would have to do some testing and try to figure it out I guess. As for updates I guess I could update the mod. I was planning on making a new mod with some weapons from this one. I just need some feedback. The last time I played it I felt that the enemies were too strong I could start on rebalancing them, touch up a few of the sound effects here and there. Yeah, whatever just let me know what ideas you guys have in mind.

Oh and thanks for showing interest in the mod!
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Neccronixis wrote:A little late to the party but nonetheless, this is a great weapons set. What code can I remove to prevent acquired weapons & inventory from disappearing once the player is resurrected?
DukeWooze wrote:Player resurrection? I've never seen a situation where the player gets resurrected. Did you add resurrection to the mod? I know there is a command. I would have to do some testing and try to figure it out I guess. As for updates I guess I could update the mod. I was planning on making a new mod with some weapons from this one. I just need some feedback. The last time I played it I felt that the enemies were too strong I could start on rebalancing them, touch up a few of the sound effects here and there. Yeah, whatever just let me know what ideas you guys have in mind.

Oh and thanks for showing interest in the mod!
Reason why the inventory gets cleared on resurrection is because of the ACS you have:

Code: Select all

Script 701 RESPAWN
{
	clearinventory();
	  giveinventory("Foot",1);
	  giveinventory("SpeedLoader",50);
	  giveinventory("PistolRound",6);
	  giveinventory("UZIRound",32);
	  giveinventory("M60Round",100);
	  giveinventory("SuperTeslaMag",32);
	  giveinventory("Revolver",1);
	  setweapon("Revolver");
	  giveinventory("Action_ReloadCancel",1);
	  giveinventory("Action_Reload",1);
      giveinventory("QuestItem1",1);

}
Seems like a lot of these are base inventory items that you need for the mod to work. You could just give these to the player with

Code: Select all

Player.StartItem "Foot", 1
on the player class itself, make the inventory items undroppable with "+INVENTORY.UNDROPPABLE", and not have to worry about giving these on each respawn or on a forced clear inventory from a mapset.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I should have clarified that I am a big, fat cheater who has a key bound to the 'resurrect' function whenever I die so I don't have to restart a level. I play casually, but each time I resurrect, I lose all of my weapons except for the revolver.

In terms of the mod itself, I have found the difficulty of the lower tier enemies to be refreshing, but this mod is not suitable for maps that have large amounts of small or high tier enemies in a single period because the smaller enemies will quickly kill the player and the lack of an efficient room clearing weapon makes taking out large crowds of enemies with lots of health difficult. I think re-evaluating the weaponry, introducing more powerful firearms and adding new monsters to replace the higher tier vanilla ones are good improvements to the mod (having 1-2 enemy varieties is good too). I've made minor changes to the mod for myself like reducing the shotgun fire rate so it performs more like the vanilla SSG and changing the sound of the magnum and M60. Some requests for this mod that I can think of;

1. Move the aerosol can to slot 1 making it effectively a novelty melee weapon as it is close range only. Make the machete the default, high-speed (not semi auto) melee weapon and have the kick as a universal secondary attack
2. Move the Shotgun to Slot 3 and reduce the spread of the shells. Add sprites with shells loaded into barrel for continuity purposes.
3. Move the m60 to slot 4 along with the uzis and colour the ammunition belt gold or brass.
4. Duel Uzis and sawn offs, because why not?
5. turn the direct energy weapon into the napalm launcher just like in Blood. The Blood themed weapons + modern additions is what makes this mod great. Also move the dynamite to slot 5 or replace it with remote detonators
6. The plasma spitter is great - the cool down function is nice, move it to slot 6
7. Some kind of energy weapon to replace the BFG that can clear groups of enemies quickly. I could rip something from Blood 2 or create some new sprites based on Blood 1 aesthetic.
8. Add some simple smoke effects when firing weapons
9. Idk if it needs any kind of gore update as the mod is compatible with droplets v15
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

I kind of feel like making the weapons more on the overpowered side, not like Russian Overkill mod but I don't want the player to be put in a situation where he can't finish a map because he gets iced too quickly. I might start by balancing the enemies back to what the regular doom enemies are and start from there. I was thinking of adding the Thompson SMG in there from blood somehow but I always felt it would make the mod too much like blood but since that's what you liked I could add it.

If I add anymore monsters it will be from the Realm 667 bestiary just as a cautionary. I know some people hate that but if I do add more I will simply rebalance and redo them. I don't think I will ever straight port them. But to address your points.

1. I can do all of that I don't see any problems I might have to rebalance how the aerosol ammo works though.
2. That's fine for the shotgun I could do that. But would you rather I add slugs as an additional ammo type? I had an idea for this a while back and wanted to try it out.
3. The reason why the weapons have strange slot placement is because I don't want the player to press the slot key more than once to select a weapon. I intended all of the weapons to have their use, not just straight upgrades.
4. I have no problems with duel weapons but, how do you want them implemented? COD left gun right gun style? Or do you want a more old school style where both weapons fire at the same time?
5. I really liked the energy weapon as it is to be honest. If you do make that sprite I could change the energy weapon back to the napalm launcher and then use that new sprite as the energy weapon. As for the dynamite, I'll add the detonator.
6. Okay.
7. See my 5.
8. I could play around and come up with something.
9. I have a gore system already in the mod. I could check droplets out and see if I can't make it compatible though.

As for adding new weapons I kind of wanted too do it, but then there will be a tonnes of weapons in the weapon slots. If I add more I'm going to implement a system where there can be only one weapon per slot.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure how quick these updates will come out but I'll try to work the best I can. Thanks for reviving my interest in this mod.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

the only thing this mod really lacks is a pump action shotgun. a spas 12, perhaps? it could be dual-wielded in full auto.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I made some weapon sprites based on some of the Blood 2 weapons that you can use for this mod if you want. I made some colour adjustments to existing sprites so that they fit the blood palette more closely too (but not exact).
Attachments
Blood-Weapons.png
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

You Really are the best, Neccronixis! Although i'd like to see an angled revolver sprite for a change. Everything's all angled but revolver.
DukeWooze

Post by DukeWooze »

Yeah thanks Neccronixis! I've already implemented that revolver. I have an idea for duel revolvers but they may not look right without an angled version. When I get done I'll post a video of it and see what people think. I'm going to try and implement a quick melee attack like you suggested for the revolver too. If it goes well I'll put it on all the weapons. Right now I'm basically rebuilding the mod from the ground up. This might take more time to get it out there but I think the mod will be better for it. Don't worry though. I'm going to keep the mod pretty much the same but with some improvements!

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback and interest!
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

Here are sprites for an angled revolver, a generic, semi-auto rifle that could replace a shotgun and the machette from Powerslave adjusted for widescreen.
Attachments
Blood-Weapons-2.png
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Am... Am i seeing Bloody Caleb's reflection on some machete sprite? :shock:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

It was taken from the orb on Blood 2. I tried to do it on the SW katana once and failed miserably. :(

Those sprites are exactly what I need for a upcoming project. :s

Return to “Gameplay Mods”