Games that we don't got a western release

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Reactor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Hm. I wonder if there are any Aussie games which didn't get an official release or shop sale anywhere else than in Oz (it doesn't count if it's available for purchase over "da Intarnetz", since you can buy pretty much anything on-line if you want to).
User avatar
Reactor
The militarist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Kinsie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 am

skyrish10 wrote:Well, Metal Wolf Chaos is made by the same guys who made Dark Souls (including the precursor Demon's Souls and inspiring one called Bloodborne) and Armored Core games, which are released in the west. I wonder why Metal Wolf Chaos wasn't released over here
From the sounds of things, they didn't think Americans would be particularly receptive to a game pretty much built around making fun of them.

Reactor wrote:Hm. I wonder if there are any Aussie games which didn't get an official release or shop sale anywhere else than in Oz (it doesn't count if it's available for purchase over "da Intarnetz", since you can buy pretty much anything on-line if you want to).
Wikipedia lists only ten Australia-exclusive videogames: International Cricket for the NES, and a variety of adaptions of Australian Rules Football, our unique and wonderful code of rugby-influenced handegg. Pretty much all other Australian-made games are produced for an international audience in some form or another, due to our relatively small size and distance from the rest of the world making it difficult to survive off the domestic market alone.
User avatar
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Reactor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Very well, so most likely there are only 10 games which are Australia-exclusive. I was curious, since gaming press never really talks about games from Oz, and I was kinda curious what gems they might hide over there. Thank you for the answer.
User avatar
Reactor
The militarist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby scalliano » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm

skyrish10 wrote:There's alot of Japan-only games available on the Sega Saturn, all because of the poor marketing sales of the Saturn in the US and SEGA of America policy to not allow RPG games and other Japanese titles


Yeah, thank goodness for the Action Replay 4M+ cart ;) (gazes lovingly at copy of RSG)
User avatar
scalliano
Resident ZDoom Waifu
 
Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Location: Ireland

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby skyrish10 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:02 am

Another game that is never released outside of Japan is Hermie Hopperhead, a nice 2D platformer game on the PlayStation, but unfortunately it was only released in Japan, all because of Sony Computer Entertainment of America (Sony Interactive Entertainment today)'s policy to deny any 2D games releasing on the western soil throughout the lifespan of the PlayStation.

Kinsie wrote:
skyrish10 wrote:Well, Metal Wolf Chaos is made by the same guys who made Dark Souls (including the precursor Demon's Souls and inspiring one called Bloodborne) and Armored Core games, which are released in the west. I wonder why Metal Wolf Chaos wasn't released over here
From the sounds of things, they didn't think Americans would be particularly receptive to a game pretty much built around making fun of them.


If they released Metal Wolf Chaos in North America, what will happen? a backlash or something?
User avatar
skyrish10
Rinoa
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Location: Deling City

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby skyrish10 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:43 am

Since i played Monster Hunter World (which is my first Monster Hunter game), there's alot of Monster Hunter games that didn't make it here including the Frontier series and a MMO that was only released in China.

It's so odd why the original Monster Hunter 2 and Monster Hunter 4 are Japan-only, but the PSP version of Monster Hunter 2 (Monster Hunter Freedom 2) and the G-Rank expanded version of Monster Hunter 4 (Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate) are not respectively, and not to mention Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (which there WAS originally to release the PS3 HD version of Portable 3rd to the west but Sony Computer Entertainment America pulled the plug because it had no trophies and the NA version of Ad Hoc Party would need to be updated, which Sony wanted Capcom to foot the bill for), luckily most of the Portable 3rd stuff carried over to G-Rank expansion version of the Wii original Monster Hunter Tri as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS and Wii U. Obviously the Monster Hunter series in the West prior to 3U, 4U and World are sparse, probably due to the lack of interest in the series.
Last edited by skyrish10 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:49 am, edited 12 times in total.
User avatar
skyrish10
Rinoa
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Location: Deling City

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby SouthernLion » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 am

I am STILL PISSED that we don't have PSO2 yet, despite being promised by that lying sack of incompetent shit company SEGA.
User avatar
SouthernLion
 
Joined: 21 Aug 2013

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Bigger C » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:37 pm

skyrish10 wrote:Another game that is never released outside of Japan is Hermie Hopperhead, a nice 2D platformer game on the PlayStation, but unfortunately it was only released in Japan, all because of Sony Computer Entertainment of America (Sony Interactive Entertainment today)'s policy to deny any 2D games releasing on the western soil throughout the lifespan of the PlayStation.

Kinsie wrote:
skyrish10 wrote:Well, Metal Wolf Chaos is made by the same guys who made Dark Souls (including the precursor Demon's Souls and inspiring one called Bloodborne) and Armored Core games, which are released in the west. I wonder why Metal Wolf Chaos wasn't released over here
From the sounds of things, they didn't think Americans would be particularly receptive to a game pretty much built around making fun of them.


If they released Metal Wolf Chaos in North America, what will happen? a backlash or something?


Actually the problem is that it's illegal for any work sold in America to use the official President's Seal.

It was too American to be sold in America. :P
Bigger C
Banned User
 
Joined: 02 Feb 2018

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:30 am

RexS wrote:I am STILL PISSED that we don't have PSO2 yet, despite being promised by that lying sack of incompetent shit company SEGA.

Isn't that due to the massive amounts of tie-in stuff in that game? There's a ton of awesome content from other games in there, and I'm not sure they could bring over any of it due to licensing in the west. It's a shame, PSO2 is excellent from what I've heard.
User avatar
Sgt. Shivers
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Reactor » Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 am

Many Novotrade-games never made it outside our country. Novotrade was a Hungarian software developer company in the good ol' days gone by (Impossible Mission 2 was one such workpiece which DID make it outside to the West). Most of them were Commodre 64 DataSette-games. I do have some in their physical form, and I'm leaning towards to sell'em as collector-exclusive items, as they're unfuckin'-believably hard to obtain in their physical form. Even their emulated ROM is damn hard to grab. Here are some:

Áttörés (Breakthrough)
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/tvc_attores_a.jpg

Centaury
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/centaury_a.jpg

Kincskeresők (Treasure hunters)
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/kincskeresok_a.jpg

Ninja
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/tvc_ninja_a.jpg

Repülésszimulátor (Flight simulator)
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/repu ... borito.jpg

Törpe (Dwarf)
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/torpe.jpg

TV-Ball
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/tvc_tv_ball_a.jpg

Űraknaszedő (Space Sapper)
http://www.tvc.hu/html/pic/boritok/uraknaszedo_a.jpg

So as you can see, Hungarian programmers were pretty up to the job back then, and they were wanted as fuck, simply because they worked for a much much lower wage than a Western programmer did. Remember, we were under Soviet invasion & a crushed rebellion in 56, so average income for a person was pretty low (thankfully, prices were also pretty low), and while the computers were evolving at the other side of the iron curtain, we were stuck with the Commodore. I don't know how good or bad these games are, they're so friggin' rare, nobody could churn out a review of them yet.
User avatar
Reactor
The militarist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby skyrish10 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:14 am

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
RexS wrote:I am STILL PISSED that we don't have PSO2 yet, despite being promised by that lying sack of incompetent shit company SEGA.

Isn't that due to the massive amounts of tie-in stuff in that game? There's a ton of awesome content from other games in there, and I'm not sure they could bring over any of it due to licensing in the west. It's a shame, PSO2 is excellent from what I've heard.


Also not to mention that releasing Phantasy Star Online 2 in the west would cause over-saturation, because there's a loads of MMO games available in the west such as WoW, Final Fantasy XIV (A Realm Reborn version), Runescape and Guild Wars 2.
User avatar
skyrish10
Rinoa
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Location: Deling City

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 am

skyrish10 wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:
RexS wrote:I am STILL PISSED that we don't have PSO2 yet, despite being promised by that lying sack of incompetent shit company SEGA.

Isn't that due to the massive amounts of tie-in stuff in that game? There's a ton of awesome content from other games in there, and I'm not sure they could bring over any of it due to licensing in the west. It's a shame, PSO2 is excellent from what I've heard.


Also not to mention that releasing Phantasy Star Online 2 in the west would cause over-saturation, because there's a loads of MMO games available in the west such as WoW, Final Fantasy XIV (A Realm Reborn version), Runescape and Guild Wars 2.


I don't think there'd be an over-saturation problem, I mean there are probably a hundred or more people using workarounds to play the game in the west already.
User avatar
Sgt. Shivers
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: Games that we don't got a western release

Postby skyrish10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:25 pm

If you are a fan of the Macross anime and you want to get some great Macross games like the Macross Frontier trilogy and Macross 30, then you have to import them from Japan because an American company known as Harmony Gold blocks all Macross stuff to the west other than the original one (which the Original one was made as the first part of Robotech) until 2021.

Oh btw Scallino, Metal Wolf Chaos is no longer Japan-only because the game was going to get remastered on PS4, XB1 and PC and was published by the same publisher who published Serious Sam and Hotline Miami.
User avatar
skyrish10
Rinoa
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Location: Deling City

Previous

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JadedLexi and 0 guests