[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
comet1337

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.10 [ARSENALS & ADVERSARIES]

Post by comet1337 »

that OICW knockoff looks pretty rad
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

comet1337 wrote:that OICW knockoff looks pretty rad
...I assume you mean the Armat M41A Pulse Rifle? From Aliens?
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

the one with the drum mag grenade launcher
instead of the grenade launcher being bullpup, the rifle is. minus the scope
also what difference is there between those two auto shotguns?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

ill be honest, this mod is getting a lot of "me too" bloat
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

chronoteeth wrote:ill be honest, this mod is getting a lot of "me too" bloat
Okay? Uh, maybe go into detail about where the problem exists so the author may look into it?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

wildweasel wrote:
Okay? Uh, maybe go into detail about where the problem exists so the author may look into it?
I sort of know what he means, though - a lot of weapons fill similar roles and have similar abilities (AS-46, MARS B, and the M41A all have underbarrel grenade launchers; the Mark 48, M41A, and DGA-3 all use/can use explosive rounds, etc.), so the arsenal feels bloated because the weapons that make it up aren't distinct enough from one another.
comet1337 wrote:the one with the drum mag grenade launcher
instead of the grenade launcher being bullpup, the rifle is. minus the scope
also what difference is there between those two auto shotguns?
Oh, the OICW knockoff!

The MARS B's grenade launcher is in fact bullpup - it just isn't easily visible.

The Sturmman M97 is double-barreled and is optimized for close range crowd control or high single-target damage - basically a double MG42 that shoots shotgun shells, whereas the VSK9 Thunderstrike is pretty much just an overall upgrade to the VSK7 in all respects except accuracy and fire rate (the semi-auto VSK7 can actually be fired faster than the VSK9).

Very soon I'm going to be refactoring and simplifying The Trooper, which may involve attempting new sprite sets in the far-ish future.

Also:

Gonna eventually replace the existing M41A set with sprites based off of this one.
NihalRahman

Post by NihalRahman »

This And Guncaster Probably has the best pistol in the community ( Also conviniently , they share the same sprite :3 )
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

TheRailgunner wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
I sort of know what he means, though - a lot of weapons fill similar roles and have similar abilities (AS-46, MARS B, and the M41A all have underbarrel grenade launchers; the Mark 48, M41A, and DGA-3 all use/can use explosive rounds, etc.), so the arsenal feels bloated because the weapons that make it up aren't distinct enough from one another.
yeah, even through the video a lot of my issues were shown. Couple that with the fact that how the weapons animate when being fired as well as even a lot of weapons having similar firing sounds they just feel like, in all honesty, a show off of this great single sprite thats been stretched and warped around to make a weapon. the solid foundation is there, the variety just doesnt feel like it is
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

chronoteeth wrote:
yeah, even through the video a lot of my issues were shown. Couple that with the fact that how the weapons animate when being fired as well as even a lot of weapons having similar firing sounds they just feel like, in all honesty, a show off of this great single sprite thats been stretched and warped around to make a weapon. the solid foundation is there, the variety just doesnt feel like it is
I can't really argue with that - I really need to get around to making good on some promises (weapons, Angelsphere, voice acting, levels, new hands).

On another note, I'm going to overhaul ammo - first of all, weapons will be grouped in four categories (Primary, Secondary, Heavy, Superheavy) and ammo will be shared between weapons in each category. Secondly, I will reorganize the User Button abilties and add voluntary reloading, mostly because it's unwieldy and convoluted for a lot of players as well as the many requests for at-will reloads.

Weapons will grouped thusly (planned weapons are in italics):

Primary - Surfeit Torment, XM27 SMG, AS-46 Assault Rifle, MARS B Assault Rifle, Pulsar-D Burst-Fire Rifle, M41A Pulse Rifle, Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle

Secondary - VSK7 Nightshade Shotgun, VSK9 Thunderstrike Shotgun, Sturmman M97 Shotgun, Templar Shotgun, DGA-3, Kullish Adversary Razorjack

Heavy - Last Salvo Explosive Railgun, DM-6 Missile Launcher, Mk. 48 Machine Gun, Luxor HMG, Droner 50b Smart Rifle, Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis

Superheavy - Crimson Spectre Antimatter Cannon, Machiavellian Disciple Gatling Gun, Bubblegum Thesis Nuclear Railshotgun

Melee - Quick Knife, Joshua's Demon Blood Sword

Quick Draw - Legend Armory Model 65 Pistol, Spare Sawed-off Shotgun

The LAM-65 is already functional, it just isn't tied to a quick-draw function yet (it even has functional reloading and two upgrades you can pick up! Also, at least for now, infinite ammo). I don't know what to do with special ammo yet; I may just leave it the way it is. Enemy health and weapon damage will likely have to be drastically rebalanced to fit this arrangement; if I can refine it well enough, an update to the Zandro version may be in the nearish future. I intend for 0.2.4.13 to be the last version before 0.2.5 (Angelsphere update), which means I need to get the sfx and graphic fx done very soon.

Other things that need to be done (listed in order of priority/scale):

*ADS for Surfeit Torment, DGA-3, and Machiavellian Disciple
*Sound and GFX cleanup
*Recoil effect multiplier to replace view pitch/angle divisor CVAR ("recoil effects" includes view/pitch, zoom effects, and A_Recoil calls)
*Improved reloads for most weapons
*Enhanced movement (extra jumps, dashes, maybe flight?)
*New hands
*HUD revamp (smaller numbers, less intrusive/more aesthetically appealing HUD elements)
*Voice acting (been messing with this a bit, to slightly disappointing results)
*Level design

Anyway, I'll try to fit this into the free time I have.
Somagu

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.12ish [IMMINENT AMMO REVAMP]

Post by Somagu »

I'm not defending it because it was pretty over the top how many ammo types there are, but I'll be sad to see it go, because there was something strangely satisfying about seeing all of the slightly different graphics for each bullet type flipping through all of the weapons. Looking forward to it, nonetheless.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I just wanna see the Bubblegum Thesis or the VOSS in action just once to whet my appetite. :D
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Gideon020 wrote:I just wanna see the Bubblegum Thesis or the VOSS in action just once to whet my appetite. :D
The VOSS SG1 might be out for now, but the Bubblegum Thesis is on its way.

I've more or less finished the process of grouping ammo types - in addition, player speed will now drop considerably when using Iron Sights. I just have to get around to those voluntary reloads...
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

By grouping the ammo types are all the weapons in those weapon groups "Primary, Secondary, Heavy, SUPER HEAVY" share ammo or will different types of weapons share ammo "like the AS-46, Mars B, Pulsar D sharing one set of ammo, the XM-27 SMG and the M41-A Pulse Rifle share a set of ammo and the N7 and the Surfeit Torment sharing a set"

asking because I'm kinda curious on how this is going to happen.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

TheLightBad96 wrote:By grouping the ammo types are all the weapons in those weapon groups "Primary, Secondary, Heavy, SUPER HEAVY" share ammo or will different types of weapons share ammo "like the AS-46, Mars B, Pulsar D sharing one set of ammo, the XM-27 SMG and the M41-A Pulse Rifle share a set of ammo and the N7 and the Surfeit Torment sharing a set"

asking because I'm kinda curious on how this is going to happen.
If it's in a weapon group, it shares ammo with all weapons in the same group as it - for example, all seven weapons you named would share ammo, being Primary.

Working on some new HUD stuff:

Room for up to 36 weapons - I plan to have currently equipped weapons in each category visible on the larger bottom hexagons and weapons in your inventory in the smaller ones.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

TheRailgunner wrote:ImageImage
L O N G H U D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”