The 65 prBooming 3DGEs

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

The 65 prBooming 3DGEs

Post by Rachael »

Hello!

This is another community project that I am going to host. This map pack focuses on 3DGE compatibility - however not all 3DGE features have to be used. The only format restriction is that your map works properly in 3DGE.

The latest version of 3DGE does support UDMF but not all of GZDoom's line specials work, and also obviously DECORATE and ZScript are completely out. If you are not comfortable with 3DGE mapping, you may submit a Boom map instead, since 3DGE is a Boom-compatible port.

Rules:
  • Maximum of 65 monsters per map. This is a hard limit. You do not need to use all 65 available "monster slots" - this rule is just to prevent slaughter maps.
  • Must be compatible with 3DGE or PrBoom+. Do not test your maps in GZDoom. (You can use GZDoom for development, i.e. getting the layout finished and what not, but ultimately the map must be designed to work in PrBoom+ or 3DGE)
  • You may use all available monster types. However please don't use 65 cyberdemons or something ridiculous like that.
  • No custom DDF monsters or weapons. This is for static 3DGE Doom 2 compatibility.
  • Custom textures/music/props are allowed (DDF props are allowed - including animated)
  • Theme: The map should be reminiscent of Doom 2's maps 20-29.
Map Submission Deadline: April 10, 2018 (this deadline was extended by 10 days)
Map Fix-up Deadline: April 24, 2018

Unlike with 20 Heretics, these deadlines are much more strict.
lil'devil

Re: The 65 prBooming 3DGEs

Post by lil'devil »

Rachael wrote:However please don't use 65 cyberdemons or something ridiculous like that.
Dang it, I had such a nice idea for a map involving 65 cyberdemons in one room... and you ruined it!!

I don't know if I will participate, I'm already making a map for another project and I don't feel like putting it on hold.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

For reference, here is the EDGEWiki:

http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Notable things you should look into are the DDF docs (Things, sectors, levels, attacks, and possibly COAL), as EDGE has a bunch of mapping features. It is also recommended to look into RTS for map scripting (if supported):

[Edge SF link down! :(]

SourceForge is a POS - I'll make it a priority to port over the RTS documentation from the old edge site to the Wiki in the next week or so.

Kind of excited about this! :-)
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

After the Heretic CP I've always entertained the idea of an 3DGE community project!! The fact that it's happening now is ASTOUNDING! This gives me the chance to really play around with different environments and styles, just to show whats possible in the engine!! SIGN ME UP! @Ceejay & @chronoteeth are going to love this, and so will the entire Doom community.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Well, so far only the OP and one other person are interested in this.

LOL, good luck with your two-man community project!!
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

lil'devil wrote:Well, so far only the OP and one other person are interested in this.

It's only been one day. Good luck trashing community projects that've barely gotten off the ground!! That'll surely get you invited to some!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

lil'devil wrote:Well, so far only the OP and one other person are interested in this.

In addition to what Shade's said, what you gotta realize is that this project has a much narrower focus than most, in particular its targeted port, so of course the uptake will not be quite as quick. Give it time, have a little patience (and faith), and understand that making a post like yours is really not going to encourage anybody. (It's almost like you don't want this thing to go anywhere...)
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Well, usually when a community project is announced, a ton of people immediately start working on maps for it. But here... Only 2 people so far and the time limit is quite strict. It just makes me assume that by in the end this project it will only have 5 maps at maximum, which is too small for a CP. Just my expectation, though.

Well, and my above post wasn't very serious, as usual.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@lil'devil
Your point of saying that the timelimit is strict on this project is wrong. Why? Let me give you an example.
You saw speedmapping projects? Those projects can have a timelimit up to 4 hours depending of the project (btw, Im leading one of those projects)...and the limit here is about...umm, the entire month with 2 additional weeks for fine tuning. That's plenty of time. And, since Boom map format is allowed for the port in question, it's MUCH quicker to do one.
That's my concern about this and I wish the mappers good luck in this project....maybe I can experiment some 3DGE mapping in the process :)
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

I actually have an extensive selection of custom maps for 3DGE/PrBoom that I seldom release. And making 3DGE maps takes a lo less than you would imagine if you are building in set size (1024 or 2048). I know you are familiar with zdoom. The OP or myself as a mapper for that matter are no asking for anything that is impossible to do. In fact, to map is your choice. I hope you stick around to try our maps... i believe you will enjoy them.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Said it in Discord, but may as well post here as well! I am going to make a map for this! Hopefully more! Most likely going to use custom textures, since the stock textures are very bland to me, and I find them harder to work with.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Excellent, Mor'Ladim! I can't wait! :)
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Coolest thing about 3DGE: If you choose to map using the format, you can flat and wall textures ANYWHERE: perfect for using DBRAIN for lava and scrolling line specials! Wind/Friction also works superbly well. Actual deep water effects can be utilized the same way a 3d floor would. Glad to see y'all on board!
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Does 3DGE support ACS in UDMF maps? EG if I wanted to change a wall texture or have a couple of thing happen all at once.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, but it does support COAL and RTS. If you google "3DGE Wiki" it should explain how to do that, I personally don't know.

If you need even further assistance, a fork of GZDB called "3DGE Builder" is also available which has 3DGE-specific configs.

Return to “Levels”