Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Silentdarkness12

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.2]

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Matt wrote:np, just venting when faced with yet another stark reminder of this two-decade-plus curse...

Will start adding once I get a better idea of what the categories should even be.
I am more than happy to give suggestions.
Spoiler:
Honestly, if you like, we could PM more about this if there's any more questions you have about editor keys and all other such mapping-related items.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Hey @Matt, is there a way to program breaching doors with explosives somehow? Like, forcing doors to be open with an IED kit or a tripwire grenade? I feel this might be a handy addition for bang & clearing maneuvers.

I imagine this might be impossible with the amount of different doors in Doom and that there's no code to force a door open, but if it IS a possibility, that could be a potential goldmine.

add:

BTW, might I mention that adding extra swing to your throws and punches by moving the mouse makes it feel far more visceral?
Just an amazing piece of thinking. I wonder if more things can work like that... (aside from throwing off babuins and putting out fires)
Last edited by DavidWolfe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silentdarkness12

I guess that'd be up to Matt, but I suspect stuff like that would be fully at the mercy of the code of the map design itself, and would be an inevitable clusterfuck to get done. It'd be better if a custom map went and had such a feature built in to a few doors.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

A better solution would be some kind of generic remote linedef activation. Often doors are set in bare hallways with no cover, and so the zombies are shooting your feet off before you can even see them. It'd be nice to have some method of setting up a device, retreating to cover, and then activating it to open the door from a safe position.

On that note, remote / fiber cameras would be cool. Maybe a tablet device to remotely view your DERP / HERP (or even control it?!?!?)?

Okay, so final suggestion: Make robots remotely controllable / viewable, and able to activate / use linedefs. For balance, the remote control only works out to a certain range, and perhaps make the hitbox bigger and have monsters more likely to target the robot so it's more likely to be destroyed if the player abuses it.

8-)
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Can cyberdemons run out of ammo? I had one just running around in the brutal doom starter pack after firing a bunch of volleys. Also he was FAST! Like, vanilla Doom player fast. Also also: what is the deal with the Spider Mastermind? The Cyberdemon is a proper boss. Has shield, takes a lot of rockets to kill and its weapon is incredibly dangerous. You have a few split seconds to fire then take cover or you get a near hitscan rocket to the face. The Spider? One rocket and it collapses.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Caligari87 wrote:A better solution would be some kind of generic remote linedef activation.
This.

I was trying to figure out how to do it earlier in response to the objections re: falling damage and timed switch puzzles, but I couldn't find out how. Even warping the player to the location, setting player.cmd.buttons&BT_USE and calling CheckUse doesn't work.

Re: other suggestion: was intended as soon as I saw ZScript would be capable of it, but it's taken a back set to virtually everything else.

Serathis: I know the spider mastermind is much weaker than its shield stats would suggest relative to the cyberdemon, but I was never able to down it with only one rocket. Which version of HD are you using? The immediately previous release had the vanilla spiderdemon by mistake.

But yes, cyberdemons can run out of ammo - they start with a limited supply of rockets and their micro-BFG runs on their shield power. (They don't stop firing the latter but it does make them more vulnerable)

SD: I owe you an apology. What I did know and totally forget, and was not merely ignorant of in the first place, was the expression "brain fart".
Silentdarkness12

Oh....I see. Eh, we probably both messed up, then. Let's call it fair and even.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote: Serathis: I know the spider mastermind is much weaker than its shield stats would suggest relative to the cyberdemon, but I was never able to down it with only one rocket. Which version of HD are you using? The immediately previous release had the vanilla spiderdemon by mistake.
TBH, if I empty a plasma cell on the guy or just 2/3 heat rockets, he goes down for the count, but the cyberdemon? Shit, I just unloaded 3/4 cells on the fucker with the plasma rifle and no dice. I doubt I even scratched him.

The new BFG spiral seems to nosedive into the floor 5 steps out on it's flight path when shot centerview. Shoot at ~45 degree angle and it'll fly pretty much mid.

Also, can ya make it so that full shells don't eject from the double barrel? Fairly sure that that's an optional addon to most coach guns.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I see what's going on now... ::checks::

Spiderdemon: radiusdamagefactor 0.8
Cyberdemon: radiusdamagefactor 0.6

and higher damagefactors on the spider for every SmallArms damage below 3 as well as thermal.

Pretty much everything the Thunder Buster does, the cyberdemon is specifically resistant to XD
(except for the electro damage dealt by the direct hit, but that's peanuts compared to the explosion)

I'll have to double check to make sure this doesn't apply to shields too...
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Matt wrote:
Serathis: I know the spider mastermind is much weaker than its shield stats would suggest relative to the cyberdemon, but I was never able to down it with only one rocket. Which version of HD are you using? The immediately previous release had the vanilla spiderdemon by mistake.
Im using the one you linked in the release post. 3.5.2.5.
Matt

Post by Matt »

It never takes me fewer than 4 rockets, 3 if at least one of them is a HEAT. (which probably means I should really beef up the HEATs) I guess you really lucked out???
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Hey, quick question, is there a possibility to add some of doom 2's monsters to doom 1 maps if doom 2 is loaded in the pwad list?

I noticed the patches folder, don't suppose it's as easy as making a randomspawners that swaps out shotgunguys and/or imps with a random x chance with chaingunners etc., hellbarons for barons, knights and fatsos (given a simple radial space check?) and caco's with Pelementals on a random chance right?

What about placing one random archvile on a random coordinate (depending on map size, besides it can phase through walls) somewhere on the map (Possibly episode 2 and up only) that gets triggered to assault the player after x minutes?

(Also to swing back on shotguns being OP, load up E1M1 and stand in the window opening, see which one kills you first, 1 shot shotgun guy or 5 riflemen shooting in bursts from the other side.)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I checked E1M1 the last time this came up, at 34m it's within the typical maximum effective stopping range for a shotgun of this sort. All I can do is make the shotgun guys maybe miss a bit more often.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Matt wrote:It never takes me fewer than 4 rockets, 3 if at least one of them is a HEAT. (which probably means I should really beef up the HEATs) I guess you really lucked out???
No idea what was happening. The spider demon did not have any shield, but I was playing on the Brutal Doom Starter Pack. When I tried playing on E1M8 the boss had shields and all.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:I checked E1M1 the last time this came up, at 34m it's within the typical maximum effective stopping range for a shotgun of this sort. All I can do is make the shotgun guys maybe miss a bit more often.
I think you'll find that pellets on full body armour at 35 meters won't be as effective as they are right now.

Plus, if a full barrage of 4.26MM rounds won't kill me, why would 1 or 2 stray pellets do?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”