Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (new alpha test up)

Post by PlayerLin »

osjclatchford wrote: he's a Templar in training. its his basic weapon.
Uh, the player character's gender hasn't decided yet...I hope it still female, for some reasons...:P

Looking forward this mod, I just played a bit and I don't have any to say(as others already pointed out), the HF1M1 just hard but I don't have problem with Hexen's beginning style so I'm OK with that, just needed more health items I guess?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Still wondering about that. Leaning towards male character for the initial release. Might add a female skin for some later up-date.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Since the player character is not a marine like 99% of Doom mods, how about developing an actual character instead of just a player avatar? They would not have to speak or anything, but just have a more defined presence than just Generic Space Marine #4512.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

SamVision wrote:Since the player character is not a marine like 99% of Doom mods, how about developing an actual character instead of just a player avatar? They would not have to speak or anything, but just have a more defined presence than just Generic Space Marine #4512.
What do you mean? More like Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior? I've always thought strength of Doom is that the player is largely characterless - you are the character. Right now, I'm just just focusing on the amount of work necessary to make the sprites. I think adding a female skin or vice versa would be a significant investment, one I might not make. Making the the player female would be more novel (when it comes to Doom anyway), but a male player would be more relatable to most of the audience.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Why not make the character with ambiguous gender? Like covering the whole character with some kind of brand new medieval armor... Yeah, what i mean is making the new player sprite would work.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Hello Amuscaria.

I was looking to see what sprites are usable in other projects. While looking through your credits, I noticed that the word "graphics" was mis spelt several times as "grpahics". Just thought you should know.

Also any confirmation of if I'm correct with the below would be hugely appreciated:

"I can use all Hell-forged monster sprites EXCEPT those belonging to the Sentinel"

Is the above true?

Thanks.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Josh wrote:"I can use all Hell-forged monster sprites EXCEPT those belonging to the Sentinel"

Is the above true?
That is correct.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Thank you ever so much for the quick reply. I'd like to reiterate more clearly that I think your sprite work here is especially fantastic, so thank you for being willing to share it! :)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Took a break today to sculpt the new Hellsmith. Will be converted to sprites when time allows.
Spoiler:
Approximate final scale:

Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Feel like he could be a bit chunkier. Right now he looks a bit lanky for a Doom monster.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Amuscaria wrote:Took a break today to sculpt the new Hellsmith. Will be converted to sprites when time allows.
Gotta be honest, i wasn't a big fan of existing Hellsmith sprites because he used maulotaur body as a base and it never looked demonic and threatening with that bull visage.

... However you definitely nailed his head design! Looks more sinful and amazing. And i see you got some inspiration from icon of sin, no? And if his tail looked sharp or armed with some kind of mace, that would be rad.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Arctangent: Will fix. I kinda forgot how squat the Doom sprites with the use of tall-pixels. Will also enlarge the head.

@Captain J: The head is actually based on a bull's skull. Not sure what Icon of Sin is based on, goat or bull. But hercine and bovine skulls are pretty similar.

Seems like I put too much detail in the model, seeing as I can see nothing in the scaled down version. :P
Last edited by Amuscaria on Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Yeah, i guess their skull looks the same and got confused. Based on bull's skull? Why that's retrospectively great! Hellsmith is also bovine-based, so.

And the overall model looks fine and detailed in compilation img between cyberdemon you posted. No need to improve/decrease more!
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Latelly I was really strugling with the different pixel aspect ratio of DooM that kinda twists some of the sprites I make. I don't know if you take this into account but I kinda fear that with new Hellsmith it will skew him se he will seem even higher and thinner.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@neoworm: I've accounted for this for the boss monsters (since they're big enough to make it really noticeable), but not the regular ones, or the ones where are edited from original sprites. I've also had that problem with my old DE weapon sprites looking skinny. It should be easy enough to widen the Hellsmith in ZBrush before spriting. I intend to sprite it at double res, then scale it down to right dimensions with the 20% reduction in height accounted for.

I generally play Doom in widescreen windowed mode, without the stretching/tall-pixel, so I kinda forgot it was there.

@Captain J: I haven'ted added any armor to the Hellsmith yet. He will have some armor of his shoulders, chest and legs.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Tue May 01, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”