Universal Gibs

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Universal Gibs

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Lud wrote:- Made the pools slightly transparent. Let's see what people think about it.
- Reduced gib bounce count from 7 to 5. They spawned too much blood pools and tanked performance without any visual improvement.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to leave the splat texture unchanged, then vary the alpha of the actors according to a CVAR? That way people could have it however they want. It would also avoid the slight loss of range in transparency.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@PermaNoob afaik transparency needs to be destructive and directly on the image to work with the Shaded style. Still, gonna give it a shot later. I haven't tried it before, just assumed it wouldn't work from what I read on the wiki.

@SMT_YHVH What do you mean? The sprites look perfectly fine in-game.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm loving this, just used it for the first time. There were a bunch of pinkies in a pit below me, so I threw some explosives down there and I got back a huge geyser of blood and meatballs flying back up to me. It a was glorious first impression.

I like the customization options and the general features, thought I felt a desire to see these features added too:
  • Set min and max spawned gibs for monsters.
    -By minimum, I mean how many gibs should the smallest monster spawn.
    -By maximum, I mean how many gibs can the biggest possible monster spawn.
  • Depending how big the monster is, scale how many gibs they can spawn between the above min-max values.
  • Gib count multiplier, to augment the above easily and quickly without needing to reset both values. A convenience feature.
  • Turn ungibbed corpses shootable, assigning them the equivalent health of how big their corpse is.
  • Extend the range of gib trail size to 2--128 instead of 16-64. I want both tinier and larger trails.
  • If possible, add an option make gibs stick to walls and ceilings.
The mod is definitely a keeper, thank you again for making and updating it man. :D
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiboNucleic Asshat

Lud wrote:@PermaNoob afaik transparency needs to be destructive and directly on the image to work with the Shaded style. Still, gonna give it a shot later. I haven't tried it before, just assumed it wouldn't work from what I read on the wiki.

@SMT_YHVH What do you mean? The sprites look perfectly fine in-game.
From a quick test, it seems that alpha works with shaded sprites. Maybe the wiki is outdated?

Also, I think what he's saying is that the sprites render wrong in software mode (which you shouldn't use anyway because it doesn't support flatsprites):
Spoiler:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Spaceman333 wrote:Set min and max spawned gibs for monsters.
-By minimum, I mean how many gibs should the smallest monster spawn.
-By maximum, I mean how many gibs can the biggest possible monster spawn.
Depending how big the monster is, scale how many gibs they can spawn between the above min-max values.
Unlikely to happen, because it's difficult to draw the line between "small" and "big" monsters. This is really low priority.
Spaceman333 wrote:Gib count multiplier, to augment the above easily and quickly without needing to reset both values. A convenience feature.
Currently the overkill multiplier does that, albeit that one is based on damage. Adding a multiplier wouldn't be so difficult, but it'd mean having to rework the overkill multiplier, because even with something as simple as x2 gibs in general, the max overkill level would halt the game to a stop if more than ~8 enemies are killed at once. I don't think I'll be adding this due to major performance issues. Sorry.
Spaceman333 wrote:Turn ungibbed corpses shootable, assigning them the equivalent health of how big their corpse is.
That sounds interesting. I'll try it out. No promises.
Spaceman333 wrote:Extend the range of gib trail size to 2--128 instead of 16-64. I want both tinier and larger trails.
Will do.
Spaceman333 wrote:If possible, add an option make gibs stick to walls and ceilings.
Hm, that one might be trickier, but I'll take a look regardless.
Spaceman333 wrote:The mod is definitely a keeper, thank you again for making and updating it man.
My pleasure! Glad you enjoyed it!
PermaNoob wrote:From a quick test, it seems that alpha works with shaded sprites. Maybe the wiki is outdated?
I'll go add it then. The wiki didn't explicitly say anything about transparency via code.
PermaNoob wrote:Also, I think what he's saying is that the sprites render wrong in software mode (which you shouldn't use anyway because it doesn't support flatsprites)
Ahhh, that makes more sense now. Yeah, software mode will perform awfully.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Floor decal alpha is now adjustable by the user.
- Gibs can now stick and slide down on walls. Only works in default mode, since gibs need to bleed in order to stick.
- Corpses are now shootable and can be gibbed. Can be disabled in the menu. Affected by the following options: scaling, velocity, color. I don't plan on expanding this feature.
- Increased the range of the trail thickness from 16-64 to 4-128.
- Modified the formula by which overkill affects velocity.
- Capped corpse scale. Mastermind corpses looked really weird.
- Gibs now pass through actors. This is to prevent them from getting stuck in some rare cases.
- Reduced number of bones in the MK mode from 15 to 12.
- Some minor under-the-hood fixes.
- Updated credits.

Expecting bugs. Lots of bugs. Will do my best in fixing them.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Well, after some testing I can say that UG is multiplayer compatible. Played a bit with Hege Cactus and his La Tailor Girl mod, along with Colourful Hell, and experienced no desyncs or issues with any of the mods. Many thanks, Hege.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Added "advanced physics". Enabled from the options. Defaults to "off". Gibs move in the direction of the shot for a more realistic experience. Due to my 2nd grade maths it doesn't work as well with missiles sometimes.
- Increased BounceCount to 10, and BounceFactor to 0.80 for springs.
- Slightly rearranged menu. Slightly. (Undocumented in Git's commit messages, because I forgot.)

EDIT: Just realized that the shootable corpses only applies to gibbed corpses, because I misread. LUL. However, I don't plan on changing that, because I already had nightmares with regular corpses and their death specials. I ain't touching those with a twenty foot pole. Fuck that. That shit is haram. Nope.jpeg.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Pretty sure there's a flag that prevents some actors from being auto-aimed at. Maybe add it to gibs? Also wish something could be done to blood decals not rendering on top of sprites. IIRC to avoid this blood decals need to be 100% opaque.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Gibs can't be auto-aimed at anyway, since they're not shootable. Unless you meant the corpses. Also yeah, the sprite sorting is kinda borked right now. Wish it could be changed, but likely no chance in the future.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Yeah sorry, corpses. And that sprite sorting is only fixable through making decal texture 100% opaque, as I said. But that's up to you.

Anyway, impressive work. Keep it up!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

- Corpses are now excluded from autoaim.
- Fixed crash when using kill monsters CCMD due to missing null pointer check. Whoops.

I don't think I'll make the textures opaque. I mean, even back when the alpha slider wasn't implemented yet the problem still existed, and the pools need to be Shaded to respect blood color afaik Stencil works as well, actually. I'll try something else, but I highly doubt it'd work. It didn't work. Oh well.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

I've been tinkering with this, and I made it so you can actually gib the corpses of non-gibbed monsters as well. Not sure if you'll look into this or not, but I have the relevant code in the spoiler:
Spoiler:
If it works then you can gib monster corpses if you've killed them without gibbing, Quake II style.
RiboNucleic Asshat

Wow, this has really come a long way since the initial few versions! Getting blood colors working was basically all I wanted for this to be perfect, but now it's essentially "better than perfect". Thank you for the work you've done on this!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Lud wrote:- Fixed crash when using kill monsters CCMD due to missing null pointer check. Whoops.
So thats what that was!

I was playing for hours yesterday and I kept getting crashes to desktop, seemingly at random during gameplay when I was killing stuff. I had just updated to GZDoom 3.2.5, copied my old settings and have like 20+ mods on, so I was unsure what the cause could be. Thank you so much for fixing it! I didn't even get the chance to mention it before it got sorted lol.

I haven't yet tried the latest version, but I am having a blast with this mod. I've set everything to always gib and kept the size/intensity settings to a minimum, make the gibs dissappear after 20 seconds and its made the game so much more satisfying than before.

I do get some lag in some slaughter-situations and I was wondering if there could be a performance-optimization feature that kept track of the total amount of gibs spawned from all the kills so far, minus the gibs it expects to have vanished automatically by time expiration by now and did something, such as:
  • Accelerate the deletion time of existing gibs/blood.
  • Reducing the density of trails (reduce how many particles are spawned over time as the trails go on).
  • Going into a temporary low performance mode, where the amount of new gibs and trails are reduced by 20% or 50% from fresh kills during it.
  • Temporarily set the time for deleting new gibs down to 3 seconds.
  • Have a hotkey the player can press to purge all gibs/blood accumulated in a level so far.
There could be a setting to tweak max amount of total gibs the system should support, to allow controlling when this feature needs to turn on.

Either way, I'm super excited to play the new version. This mod rocks!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”