Daytime Drama 2 [Episode 1 Alpha Released! - June 14 2018!]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Daytime Drama 2 [Episode 1 Alpha Released! - June 14 2018!]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

DAYTIME DRAMA PUBLIC ALPHA IS A-GO!

Years after the Tchpsor siege in Boredomdai, Sanya and a new crew are back to kick terrorist scum ass! Building upon the Daytime Drama world, you go out to the western bloc - Tumblria, Twitteria and YouTopia, where evil terrorists are working on an AI to mass produce clones to keep the world at their ends, spy on everyone, and hook into everything.

Sanya and her crew ain't having that shit. Her superiors invoke Article Five and send them to the nations, which are all ready full of ugly clones, some of your beloved characters. All of them with killing on the mind.

Your job: kill the clones, destroy the head honcos behind this org and put the AI down once and for all.

Daytime Drama 2 is in early development, and Episode 1 is now complete! Episode 2-6 will be completed in time, with new features added. This is just a taste of what's to come.

DOWNLOAD (DROPBOX) HERE
.IPK3 is for use with official Dev Builds
.ZIP file is for if you don't know how to get it up and running.

Troubleshooting about XBox 360/One: If you want to use a controller, you need to enable it from the menus and set up your keybinds. The default axes do work, but the buttons need work.

Main Attractions
  • 8 Playable Characters - Sanya isn't alone this time. Each character class has their own unique playstyle, pros/cons and voice acting. Find which one fits you best today!
  • Weapons of Mass Destruction - The NRA is envious of the arsenal. Carry up to two pistols and an SMG - as well as one heavy weapon, one light weapon, and one melee weapon! Bazookas, Heat Seekers, Firebombs, HowToBasic Rifles, Tri-Barreled Candy Shotguns, Chainsaws, Fire Axes (with actual fireballs when you alt-fire!) and Party Cannons! And that's just in Episode 1! More weapons to come!
  • Quake, ROTT and Duke 3D influenced level design
  • Dozens of enemies - many more than Daytime Drama 1 had. From the deadly Elsa Guards to the nightmarish Gumballs - yes, two of them - to the subverted (thankfully) yet still racist Moonman. Oh and Joker Mice with butt syringes they throw at you. Don't ask, it's an Elsagate thing. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Sound Obituary Reborn! - when you die and linger, the game taunts you. If you die by fire, the game calmly reminds you to be cool about fire safety - with Rich Evans in the corner and everything! And it's all done via ZScript's Event Handlers.
  • Ludicrous Gibs™ - a byproduct of St. Nicolas' island's fireworks industry, there's plenty of blood guts and bone flying at you when you take out enemies in a ludicrous way!
  • Six Deadly Bosses - There's six episodes, each with a guardian controlling part of the AI's functionality, and each with a stake in taking over the world. If you are tough, you will take them out. Each have their strengths and weaknesses to certain weapons, and others are just plain tough. Boss 1 is just a taste of what's to come!
  • Touchplates and traps! - need I say more?
  • Beef or Chicken? - Tons of humor in the enemies, one-liners and weapons!
Future things to be included include: more weapons, assistance from other characters (like assist trophies in Smash Bros) and Grand Finales for each character. And plenty of overhaul to the existing levels as well as finishing the others.

Default controls are WASD. Press and hold E to pick up and drop your heavy weapon, light weapon or melee weapon. FREELOOK IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Spoiler: Player Classes
Spoiler: Items and Weapons
Spoiler: Enemies
Spoiler: Screenshots
Credits

PROGRAMMING
SANYAWAFFLES

MAP DESIGN
SANYAWAFFLES

TEXTURES
SANYAWAFFLES
TAMARA KAMA
MISSFINEFEATHER
[OPENGAMEART.COM and the ZDOOM FORUMS

SOUNDS AND VOICE ACTING
HAVOCARIOUS and spoopyscarysarah as Sanya
RENEGADEQUARTZ as Navy
ASTLEY SIMILEY as Greeny Demon
RACHAEL ALEXANDERSON as Rebecca
ALEX LOCKHART as Gertrude
INNOCENT-DARKSIDE as Marshal
alabean @ Instagram/Youtube/SOUNDCLOUD as Scootaloo
FANCYPANTALOONES.TUMBLR.COM as Peridot

SPECIAL THANKS
LUD
WATCHDATOAST/MSPAINTR0CKS
FISHYCLOCKWORK
MAJOR COOKE
ZOMBIE
LEODOOM85
GUTAWER
MARISA KIRISAME
ALEX LOCKHEART
TAKASHI0
Wafflebunker discord server
the zdoom discord server
Arjen Lamé and theartrix discord server
Last edited by SanyaWaffles on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
insightguy

Re: Daytime Drama 2 [Alpha Production State]

Post by insightguy »

huh, didn't think this would get a sequel. Also, I didn't know you finished the first one.

and seriously? a 2 weapon limit?
SeriousWeasle

Post by SeriousWeasle »

insightguy wrote:and seriously? a 2 weapon limit?
It is based on Rise of the Triad I think, so this makes sense, but I agree. The 2 weapon limit is very annoying sometimes.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Will Vinesauce Joel be making a comeback?
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Daytime Drama 1 is pretty much complete outside converting the Statusbar to ZScript and the music. I've been constantly updating the builds though to include the latest GZDoom engine.
SeriousWeasle wrote:
insightguy wrote:and seriously? a 2 weapon limit?
It is based on Rise of the Triad I think, so this makes sense, but I agree. The 2 weapon limit is very annoying sometimes.
I wanted to add a bit of a challenge and not make the players completely OP.

That said, I'm considering diversifiying the weapon categories to have three or four weapon categories to make it less limited. Just need more weapon ideas to balance it out.

I'm considering heavy, energy/magic and melee weapons to be a category. I'm just not sure what weapons to come up with.

I'm also considering making it so melee weapons (which have alt-fire attacks) you can carry as many as you want... I wanna see if it affects the balance.
Wiw wrote:Will Vinesauce Joel be making a comeback?
I'm sure Bonzi won't be making a comeback due to him being overused and old hat, but if I can find a less tired meme that Joel has propegated, I'll probably include it. The main selling point is the diverse array of enemies you face, after all.

The Dolphins are making a comeback for sure, albiet... slightly different.

I will be re-releasing the alpha once I polish the first episode more. People reported the levels need more work (which I agree with) but also reported no slowdown with the ZScript stuff, which is good.
SeriousWeasle

Post by SeriousWeasle »

SanyaWaffles wrote:but if I can find a less tired meme that Joel has propegated, I'll probably include it.
Think beyond antivirus, think Protegent!
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

I really like this style.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I made an account solely so I can say...I absolutely adored Daytime Drama 1 and cannot WAIT to see this one come to light!
Maxed poin

Post by Maxed poin »

I enjoyed the first one and cannot wait for this to be released. Also it looks like it's gonna be like rise of the triad. That should be a fun thing.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Having beaten the first game just now, I should ask why the previous heroine, sanya, isn't part of the debacle. Three Classes seem nice, but a fourth could be even better if each one fights with a unique style. Rise of the Triad had four player characters. It seems that picking up an item by holding Use/Examine (a trick we learned with Trailblazer's power-up/inventory system) is something that could translate to infinite ammo for conventional but underwhelming pieces and temporary big guns to equalize the score. That could make for some really frantic play.

That said, there is nothing wrong with not adding Sanya, but the story from last time might indicate the potential for continuity, even if it is still a shooting/exploration game. Speaking of which, much of the fun from Daytime Drama was searching high and low for the Secrets--something most Doom Mods misunderstand. I envision a Hub-like or even contiguous whole, like several maps joined together at different exit points that start you at certain places--like Metroidvania. Thing is, there are new places opening up and keys that unlock doors in old areas, new enemies flooding in after battles from long before.

Of course, these are only suggestions meant to accentuate one of Daytime Drama's greatest ironic strengths: world-building.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I'm updating the first post here in a bit folks. Stay tuned for some major developments.

EDIT: CHECK ORIGINAL POST. It has been updated with a more proper alpha build among other things. I need feedback from the community at large. This is still in development.
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama 2 [Episode 1 Alpha Released! - June 24 201

Post by SanyaWaffles »

There's two new videos uploaded to YouTube. One is the initial alpha release being shown off, and another is a more updated build showing off Peridot, plus several sound effects have been updated.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”