Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Lithium [1.5.3 Update][Nov. 22]

Post by kadu522 »

Inventory tetris!!!!! :D

This is literaly the best type of inventory management in my opinion. mostly becuse RE4 does it soooo welllll.
And i find the note's thing interesting but i don't see why you would use it in the first place.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I just tried this mod for the first time and I think there's a problem. I'm playing as the Cyber-Mage and enemies never seem to drop mana. I shot my way through the entire first map of Maps of Chaos Overkill, which is a kill count of 210, and so far nothing. The mana bar has a single tic at the bottom, and it hasn't moved at all. I can cast one of the two default spells, Delear (I'm not even sure what the Blade spell is supposed to do) but that completely uses up what little mana I start with.

I'm using GZDoom 3.2.5 and Shut Up And Lithium, although the same thing happened when I took everything except Lithium out of the load order.

ETA: Okay, after I killed the mini-boss and leveled up, there was a very tiny increase. I had to reload and do it again so I could see what was happening, and I got a different amount of mana each time I replayed the boss fight. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so rare.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:I just tried this mod for the first time and I think there's a problem. I'm playing as the Cyber-Mage and enemies never seem to drop mana. I shot my way through the entire first map of Maps of Chaos Overkill, which is a kill count of 210, and so far nothing. The mana bar has a single tic at the bottom, and it hasn't moved at all. I can cast one of the two default spells, Delear (I'm not even sure what the Blade spell is supposed to do) but that completely uses up what little mana I start with.

I'm using GZDoom 3.2.5 and Shut Up And Lithium, although the same thing happened when I took everything except Lithium out of the load order.

ETA: Okay, after I killed the mini-boss and leveled up, there was a very tiny increase. I had to reload and do it again so I could see what was happening, and I got a different amount of mana each time I replayed the boss fight. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so rare.
Shut Up and Lithium is currently broken in 1.5.3. All enemies drop mana.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Marrub wrote: Shut Up and Lithium is currently broken in 1.5.3. All enemies drop mana.
Oh, okay then. I kept going and managed to fill out my mana after killing a couple more miniboss creatures, which led me to assume it was intended only for special occasions. I'll take it out of the load order and start over with Doom RL Monster Pack instead.

ETA: It seems to be working now.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I have a few more observations though, and it has to do with the weapons that consume ammo (e.g. not the Mateba, Shock Rifle, or SMG).

* I don't seem to be getting pickup messages for regular ammunition. I have the minimum message level set to the default "item pickup" but there aren't any messages for shells, rockets, etc. so it took some guessing to figure out which weapons they were for.
* Is there a way to see the ammo ratios in the HUD? When I toggle the Alternate HUD, the ammo is blank, so the only way to see how much I have left is to equip each weapon in turn.
* For some reason I can still pick up ammo even when it's full. So I could have the max of 60 shells and still pick up shells, which means the pickup gets wasted.
* The max ammo feels inconsistent when comparing the Shotgun to the Ion Rifle. I can hold a max of 200 rockets (I assume they're rockets) but only 60 shells. There also doesn't seem to be a way to increase max ammo capacity.

Overall praise:

* Ammo and mana are fairly generous. The Armageddon difficulty multiplies ammo pickups by 9, and each enemy that drops mana tops off my meter.
* Most of the weapons are available early, and picking up a duplicate automatically sells the weapon.
* Each weapon looks and feels unique, and remains useful throughout the game. It's rare to see weapon sets that are balanced and don't render earlier weapons obsolete by the end.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:* I don't seem to be getting pickup messages for regular ammunition. I have the minimum message level set to the default "item pickup" but there aren't any messages for shells, rockets, etc. so it took some guessing to figure out which weapons they were for.
Turn "Log ammo pickups" on in Lithium's option menu.
Frozenwolf151 wrote:* Is there a way to see the ammo ratios in the HUD? When I toggle the Alternate HUD, the ammo is blank, so the only way to see how much I have left is to equip each weapon in turn.
Nope.
Frozenwolf152 wrote:* For some reason I can still pick up ammo even when it's full. So I could have the max of 60 shells and still pick up shells, which means the pickup gets wasted.
You get Score from ammo pickups, so it's not wasted.
Frozenwolf153 wrote:* The max ammo feels inconsistent when comparing the Shotgun to the Ion Rifle. I can hold a max of 200 rockets (I assume they're rockets) but only 60 shells. There also doesn't seem to be a way to increase max ammo capacity.
What's wrong with this?
Frozenwolf154 wrote:* Ammo and mana are fairly generous. The Armageddon difficulty multiplies ammo pickups by 9, and each enemy that drops mana tops off my meter.
DRLA monsters isn't my mod.
Frozenwolf155 wrote:* Most of the weapons are available early, and picking up a duplicate automatically sells the weapon.
Early? They (should) only spawn where they normally do.
Frozenwolf156 wrote:* Each weapon looks and feels unique, and remains useful throughout the game. It's rare to see weapon sets that are balanced and don't render earlier weapons obsolete by the end.
Thanks!
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Marrub wrote:Turn "Log ammo pickups" on in Lithium's option menu.
Yeah, I found that immediately after I posted that.
Nope.
Darn.
You get Score from ammo pickups, so it's not wasted.
I noticed, but supposing I wanted the ammo, I wish there were a way to toggle this from the settings menu.
What's wrong with this?
I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine, a lot of mods give you excessive amounts of ammo, but not enough room to hold it. In the past, I've resorted to using the console to turn off the limits (which was a very bad idea, as it caused instability down the line).
Early? They (should) only spawn where they normally do.
Nevermind, it has more to do with the map set I'm using.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine, a lot of mods give you excessive amounts of ammo, but not enough room to hold it. In the past, I've resorted to using the console to turn off the limits (which was a very bad idea, as it caused instability down the line).
Surprisingly, it was pretty easy to add an option for this, so there'll be one in 1.6. Thanks for the suggestion!
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Odd update, I made a wiki for the lore behind my projects (including Lithium.) Essentially just a repository for my writing because I'm likely to not end up releasing any of the other stuff that explains any of the concepts in this mod; especially when 1.6 is done. :P
Frozenwolf150

Re: Lithium 1.5.3 (Nov. 22 2017) [1.6 Info - pg.22]

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

By the way, is it normal for some Shadows to be unkillable? I'm on the 5th map of a megawad, and one of the Shadows I encountered was standing in a pit, and did not show up on the enemy ID on the HUD. I couldn't target it with any weapons, and I tested the "mdk" command on it but it didn't do anything. Later in the same map, there was one Shadow that kept replicating, but could not be killed even after I'd shot down about 100 of its clones.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:By the way, is it normal for some Shadows to be unkillable? I'm on the 5th map of a megawad, and one of the Shadows I encountered was standing in a pit, and did not show up on the enemy ID on the HUD. I couldn't target it with any weapons, and I tested the "mdk" command on it but it didn't do anything. Later in the same map, there was one Shadow that kept replicating, but could not be killed even after I'd shot down about 100 of its clones.
This should be fixed in 1.6.
Derpius8

Post by Derpius8 »

Hey, i got a problem. When I play Lithium the monster textures never show up. Monsters effectively appear invisible. I use GZDoom on a linux computer. Is this going to be fixed in 1.6?
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Derpius8 wrote:Hey, i got a problem. When I play Lithium the monster textures never show up. Monsters effectively appear invisible. I use GZDoom on a linux computer. Is this going to be fixed in 1.6?
Turn "Are you serious?" off.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Very, very impressive teaser images! You weren't kidding when you said the Marine's gonna be significantly upgraded! :D That's one major-looking slot 7 weapon! The Inventory Tetris system looks neat too. I've not really played that many games that use it, only Diablo I, but its a neat system! Innovative to see that! ^^ Keep working. 1.6 looks like its gonna be well worth the wait! ^^
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Patriot1776 wrote:That's one major-looking slot 7 weapon!
That's from Final Doomer, not this mod. :P

Here's something that is from this mod, the new player class' slot 2 weapon:
Spoiler:
HUD is placeholder.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”