Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [v1.4] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Awesome!

However, I no longer see the Doom 64 Features menu. My settings from the previous install are still there and I updated to GZDoom 3.2.5.

Also, I take the exclusive monsters will be added later on?
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I haven't figured out the puzzle in your first contribution to Outcast yet, but I think pressing the switches again should spawn the same monsters instead of progressively stronger ones until it gets to the Baron, because otherwise a player's impression until that point may be "this is going somewhere, so I've got to see it through" and they'd end up wasting time and ammo.

edit:
SiFi270 wrote:
Spoiler:
I played the original and they weren't stuck, and I'm guessing that's to do with them being the same size as vanilla Hell Knights in Absolution and being taller to match D64 here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

So, little issue with 1.4:
Spoiler:
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

SiFi270 wrote:Are these two supposed to be stuck? If you told me they are, and it was like that in the original, I'd probably take your word for it. But if not, then I feel it's worth pointing out.
SiFi270 wrote:I played the original and they weren't stuck, and I'm guessing that's to do with them being the same size as vanilla Hell Knights in Absolution and being taller to match D64 here.
They are not supposed to be stuck indeed, not sure how I missed that unless they are only on UV or something. I didn't test on UV much. Anything like this is always worth pointing out, so thank you very much... and yes, that's probably why, I think I make them taller so the hitbox goes all the way to their heads. I will fix it for 1.5.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:However, I no longer see the Doom 64 Features menu. My settings from the previous install are still there and I updated to GZDoom 3.2.5.

Also, I take the exclusive monsters will be added later on?
Yea I'm still using the same MENUDEF style before it was redone. This situation is becoming troubling because any GZDoom higher than 2.2.0 gives me problems and anything lower is too old to develop for. I know Graf would roast me hard right now about this post but I'm sorry about the menu. I may just have to bite the bullet and fix it for the release versions and then undo it for my personal versions. Kind of a pain but at least it will work for everyone else out of the box. I will do this for 1.5.

I still plan to add the exclusive monsters later, not sure when. Whenever I do, it will be after I have a full chaingunner set that looks like the one on the previous page.
SiFi270 wrote:I haven't figured out the puzzle in your first contribution to Outcast yet, but I think pressing the switches again should spawn the same monsters instead of progressively stronger ones until it gets to the Baron, because otherwise a player's impression until that point may be "this is going somewhere, so I've got to see it through" and they'd end up wasting time and ammo.
You have to press the switches in the right order. There is a camera in the same room to see the effect of the order. If you fail the order, the spawned monsters get progressively harder as punishment for failing the puzzle order but I see what you're saying. Will think about this.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:So, little issue with 1.4:
Spoiler:
I'll look into it. Thanks for reporting.
Nevander

Re: [v1.4a] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

Sorry for double post, fixed the features menu finally and some other stuff that was brought up in the thread and some things I wanted to do.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retri ... ersion-14a
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

I'm getting quicker! I was 3rd to download it yesterday and 2nd today :lol:
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

First of all, thanks for updating this awesome mod.

I have encountered one big problem with the latest version of GZDoom which fully supports Quad-Buffered Stereoscopic 3D in Nvidia 3D Vision (Which looks AMAZING!)

However after enabling the lower option to enable quad buffer (the one that requires a game restart) and running the game again the instant I select Quad-Buffer in the VR options D64R Crashes in spectacular fashion.

I am sending you a link to the crash dumps so you can forward it to the GZDoom team and hopefully, they can fix it or help you fix it.

I would Love to play Doom 64 Retribution in Stereoscopic 3D so much my heart is broken ATM :cry:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z_iOMQ ... fgpkQ/view

EDIT: This seems to be an issue with GZDoom using pwads. Only Doom, Doom II, Plutonia and TNT work in Quad-Buffered Nvidia 3D Vision, without this crash. Best someone forwards this dump to the GZDoom team. The issue seems to be the engine and not your mod Nevander. I can't wait till they fix it and I can play Doom 64 Retribution and Operation BodyCount mods in 3D!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The crash has been fixed.

The thing is it's completely unrelated to a mod and was caused by a particular camera usage for "cutscenes" which was broken in stereoscopic modes only.
Next time please report such issues to Bugs subforum.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

_mental_ wrote:The crash has been fixed.

The thing is it's completely unrelated to a mod and was caused by a particular camera usage for "cutscenes" which was broken in stereoscopic modes only.
Next time please report such issues to Bugs subforum.
I thought it was to do with the mod until I got the same issue with other mods, that's why I sent it here. I apologize for sending a post in the wrong place but at the time I didn't realize the issue wasn't related to the mod.

As for the link you sent, what do I do with that code? I am an artist and can't make sense of code, and don't know how to use it to get Doom64 Retribution and other mods to run on Quad Buffered 3D Vision without the crash. As far as the technical side of me goes, I built my own rig but I can't make sense of coding.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Hope i'm not touching an already discussed subject, but are you planning on adding cut enemies from the original Doom 64 on some additional maps?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

hoover1979 wrote:As for the link you sent, what do I do with that code? I am an artist and can't make sense of code, and don't know how to use it to get Doom64 Retribution and other mods to run on Quad Buffered 3D Vision without the crash. As far as the technical side of me goes, I built my own rig but I can't make sense of coding.
Use the latest devbuild or wait for the next release.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

_mental_ wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:As for the link you sent, what do I do with that code? I am an artist and can't make sense of code, and don't know how to use it to get Doom64 Retribution and other mods to run on Quad Buffered 3D Vision without the crash. As far as the technical side of me goes, I built my own rig but I can't make sense of coding.
Use the latest devbuild or wait for the next release.
Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I am in a private hospital, with my rig, and their WiFi is so slow (Even by Australian standards) it takes 5 mins to load the page and the download always times out at 0b completed at 0Bps. This reminds me of the old Dial-Up days of the mid 90's. :cry:
SFJake

Re: Doom 64: Retribution

Post by SFJake »

I don't really know where to post this other than here.

I've reworked the mod for a few purposes.

-Better coop compatibility. This version is intended to be run in Zandronum 3.0 (but will run just fine in GZDoom). The entire thing should be playable in coop.

-Modified and updated to be closer to Doom: Absolution. Map order changed accordingly. A few modifications on the maps, a few new rooms.

-Absolution monsters, Nightmare Cacodemon and Nightmare Demon included and placed in their original Absolution locations.

-Outcast Levels were improved & modified. Chaingun Guy, Nightcrawler, Stalker, Acid Demon, as well as a new monster or two such as the Nightmare Elemental added for fun, are included in the levels just like in the original levels.

-Outcast items (except for artifacts) have been ported over as well. Thats mostly the Radar (scanner) and the Hell Potions (+2 HP & Armor) both placed in the Outcast levels.

-Multiple options have been added in the menu. HUD customization, and a few gameplay options such as separating Unmaker ammo into kill-based ammo, and a few coop options. All optional.

-General balancing has seen a few changes as well, nothing major.

I'm posting this here because I've done this entirely for fun and for my purposes, but ultimately Doom 64 Retribution is obviously NOT my work and I do not want to discredit the original work in any way.

If this is a problem in any way, just tell me and this post will be removed.

Feel free to use any of this in any way you desire. Don't mind the stupid way I linked the ACS code to the maps in there.

SF Doom 64 Absolution:
https://www.mediafire.com/?elwj7nxrqyr68dj/

NOTE: Download, install and configure Doom 64 Retribution as the original mod explains, then use this and run with the included .bat file.
hoover1979

Post by hoover1979 »

GZDoom 3.3.1 seems to have broken music in this game. I think it changed how Fluidsynth is handled and now the music is all wrong. I don't know if Nevander can do anything about this or if the issue can only be fixed by the GZDoom dev team.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Copy or move DOOMSND.SF2 to soundfonts folder.
Go to Options -> Sound Options -> MIDI Player Options -> FluidSynth menu and choose Select Configuration.
Pick DOOMSND is the list of soundfonts.
d64rtp_soundfont.png
Also, you can give this soundfont more distinct filename like Doom 64 Retribution.sf2.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”